Follow My Leader by James B. Garfield

Follow My Leader (1957)

by James B. Garfield

Recently added byherriot, UICS, AERCCM, M.Martin, private library, CommunityAtheneum, mathsie, LoriY, SKWilson, Boggs_School

This books was first published in the 50's. I read it as a child and loved it. I was curious as to how I would like it now. I found the time era charming. I liked words like keen and swell. I liked the descriptions of braille and other training. There was some silliness which underestimated the eleven year old boy when he first became blind. Most people can dress in the dark by then. Overall, it was a simple, but interesting read. ( )
  lsfayne | Apr 16, 2014 |
I loved this book as a child. It is the story of a young boy, Jimmy, who loses his sight to an accident with a fire cracker. I was disappointed in rereading it. The dialog is very stilted and not very believable. It has some good messages as Jimmy learns to adjust to his blindness and grows to forgive his friend who threw the fire cracker. As a child I loved Jimmy's relationship with his dog, Leader and Leader's intelligence and heroics on a scouting trip. I think kids might still like it. I would give it three and a half stars. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
And another book about a blind kid that I loved as a child. Just to make a theme of it. ( )
  AlCracka | Apr 2, 2013 |
Old Children's Book. Liked it as a kid, but haven't read it in years. ( )
  wodenthewanderer | Apr 2, 2013 |
As a young boy, Jimmy uses his eyes for everything. He plays ball, climbs trees, watches TV, and sets off fireworks with his friends. But when a firecracker goes off inches from his face, he loses his eyesight. Devastated, he begins to wonder how he can survive, until his mother suggests he get a Seeing Eye dog. Leader, the German Sheppard, gives Jimmy back his independence, and together they traverse the lands, as Jimmy discovers that there is more to the world than simply seeing. Young readers will be able to discover the world outside of just the visible one, find friendship in unusual places, and trust in others.
  dewulfst | Dec 8, 2011 |

James B. Garfieldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Greiner, RobertIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sibley, DonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

After Jimmy is blinded in an accident with a firecracker, he has to relearn all the things he used to know - how to get dressed, how to find his way around the house, even how to eat. With the help of a determined therapist, he learns to read Braille and use a cane. Then he's given the chance to have a guide dog. Learning to work with Leader is not easy, but Jimmy tries harder than he ever has before. Can Leader really give him the ability and the confidence he needs?

After Jimmy is blinded in an accident with a firecracker, he has to relearn all the things he used to know. With the help of a determined therapist, he learns to read Braille and to use a cane. Then he's given the chance to have a guide dog. Learning to work with Leader is not easy, but Jimmy tries harder than he ever has before.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,124,541 books! | Top bar: Always visible