Dave Barry Slept Here: A Sort of History of…

Dave Barry Slept Here: A Sort of History of the United States (original 1989; edition 1990)

by Dave Barry

Member:alpacaherder
Title:Dave Barry Slept Here: A Sort of History of the United States
Authors:Dave Barry
Info:Ballantine Books (1990), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:*****

Dave Barry Slept Here: A Sort of History of the United States by Dave Barry (1989)

This very old book was at the Little Free Library aka LFL. I have always enjoyed stuff by Dave Barry, so I picked it up based solely on the author's name.
The first half of the book covers the parts of US history that I slept through in school. The second half covers the remaining parts, those I lived through. (Maybe I should have slept through those as well.)
As a history, the book gets in quite a few one-liners. The footnotes are sometimes the best part.
Under the heading of prescience, the last chapter mentions Donald Trump three times. I think that represents a tie with mentions of Geraldo Rivera.

I enjoyed the book as a light-hearted change of pace. Will take it back to the LFL, I don't think I would ever bother to read it again. ( )
  CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |
Dear Dave,

What happened here then?

Last time we met - in Hobbs, NM, if I remember right - you made me laugh so hard, I could hardly breathe. So what's with the half-hearted attempt at an alternative history?

I get that there are episodes that are left out of the US history books, but why did you need to write about the ones that were left out because they just aren't interesting. Could you not have chosen to present the ones that have an air of controversy about them?

What happened to Dave, the journalist who once braved a backlash of criticism when he supported the illegal importation of Canadian bathroom technology?

I am writing this burying my head in my hands and hoping that we have not grown apart since that fateful day you signed my copy of your Greatest Hits. Hoping that Greatest Hits would some day be followed up with a Greatest Hits, Vol. 2.

Yours,

BT

Review first posted on BookLikes: http://brokentune.booklikes.com/post/1040536/dave-barry-slept-here ( )
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
Love, love, love Dave Barry!! ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |
This is a funny book, and the more you know "traditional" U.S. history, the funnier you'll find Dave Barry's take. His premise is that the history books taught in schools are boring--full of dates, trivial references, and supposedly important events that nobody really cares about--and he sets out to write a more readable version of America's past. He changes all important dates to October 8th, skips over things that sound boring (the Smoot-Hawley Tariff) or unpleasant (almost every war), and spices up the footnotes and end-of-chapter discussion questions. Barry's goofy, straight to the point, frequently jumbled, factually questionable, undeniably entertaining accounts of history are fairly similar to FunnyOrDie.com's Drunk History series, so I'd suggest checking those out if you want a comparative preview.

There's not much else to say about this thing. It won't change your life. You won't learn much. You'll just enjoy yourself. ( )
  Reed21 | Jul 6, 2014 |
When I was a kid, Dave Barry was just about the funniest writer I knew. My mother got me hooked, and while his style and wit have fallen off in recent years, I find it hard not to go back to him for a chuckle or two. Because most of his classic writing was for a weekly newspaper column, it’s a bit dated but funny nonetheless. In Dave Barry Slept Here, he takes a look at American history in a way that only he can, with eye toward potential exploding animals, the absolute importance of the Hawley-Smoot Tariff, and acts of Congress that would also make good names for a rock band.

One of the best lines in the book has to be the following: “Notable achievements of the Millard Fillmore administration: The Earth did not crash into the sun.” For some reason, this line has stuck with me since I read this nearly two decades ago, and every time someone mentions Fillmore, I have to suppress a small smile. This book isn’t nearly as satirical as the Daily Show’s send up of American history, but rather depends on mildly corny (but still funny) reinterpretations of historical events. You won’t need more than a day to breeze through this one, but it will be a day well spent. It’s twisted and witty and lot of fun. ( )
  NielsenGW | Dec 5, 2013 |
For Robert, who really was born on October 8
"We the people." (Introduction)
Hundreds of thousands of years ago, America was very different.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345416600, Mass Market Paperback)

Dave runs American history through the wringer, and comes up with some wonderfully warped formulations. (The Vikings, for example, "were extremely rugged individuals whose idea of a fun time was to sail over and set fire to England, which in those days was fairly easy to ignite because it had a very high level of thatch, this being the kind of roof favored by the local tribespeople...") Covering pre-Columbian days through the dawn of the Bush administration, Dave Barry Slept Here is the funniest thing to hit this great nation since the Smoot-Hawley Tariff of 1930.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:34 -0400)

If you love to laugh, if you love your country, if you are unaware that "the Sixth Amendment states that if you are accused of a crime, you have the right to a trial before a jury of people too stupid to get out of jury duty," Dave Barry Slept Here is the book you've been waiting for since 1776. Or at least since Super Bowl III..............… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,827,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible