In Odd We Trust by Queenie Chan

In Odd We Trust (2008)

by Queenie Chan, Dean R. Koontz (Author)

This was my first trip into the world of graphic novels. Having already been in love with the Odd Thomas series for a few years, it was a good place to start.

My favorite part of the whole book was being able to put faces to the characters and also getting a glimpse of the world of Pico Mundo, California where Odd and Stormy live. What took some getting used to was the simplicity of the writing and the over-the-top drama that's added to the dialogue. Keeping in mind that graphic novels are basically comic books on steroids, you accept the differences and even get used to them.

I hope that Koontz continues to add to the graphic novel series of Odd Thomas. ( )
  trishaj | Oct 7, 2014 |
Archie/Jughead in artistic style. The story is ok. I'm not sure a graphic novel conveys the entire story very well; but it's worth the read. ( )
  lesmel | May 16, 2013 |
In the small town of Pico Mundo, an unassuming fry cook by the outlandish name of Odd Thomas has a special ability; he can see the dead. They can't speak to him but they have their own ways of communicating. After the murder of a small boy, Odd sees his spirit wandering around. It's obvious the boy wants justice. His nanny, an old friend of Odd's girlfriend Stormy, is worried that the killer might be targeting her other charge, a young girl. Odd and Stormy vow to do what they can to help protect the children of the town.

Odd Thomas has come to the world of graphic novels. I like the idea but it didn't work out all that well for me.

I love Odd. He's so good and earnest but he still has that unexpected sense of humor and hope despite all the things he's seen. That Odd was in these pages, I just wanted more of him. I think the format limited him. In the novels, I think my favorite parts are his internal musings and it's got to be hard to bring that through in a graphic novel. There were bits here and there, just not enough.

I wasn't a huge fan of the style of the artwork either. In my ignorance, I'll say it looks like anime. Feel free to correct me nicely if there's a better word to describe it. Whatever it's called, I just don't generally care for it.

The story felt kind of--well, circular. They don't really get much of anywhere. It was the same basic events a couple of times and then a big "surprise" ending that wasn't really a surprise.

I will say that it was nice to see a beloved character from the first book who hasn't shown back up in the rest of them. I also like the title a lot.

And that's really all I have to say. More devoted fans of graphic novels may enjoy this more than I did. I'll be sticking to the regular books from now on. ( )
  JG_IntrovertedReader | Apr 3, 2013 |
I really enjoy the Odd Thomas books, but this graphic novel did not live up to the books. I wasn't fond of the way the characters looked, not at all as I had pictured. I'll stick to the novels. ( )
  sjurban | Jul 12, 2011 |
This was my first graphic novel. I have read things by Koontz before, so that genre was not foreign to me. As a child and teen I loved comics. As an adult I did not enjoy the graphic novel. While reading this I envisiioned myself reading something with full pages of the written word instead of searching for the captions on the page. The story was as simplistic as the manner in which it was delivered. I told my grandchildren I would read a graphic novel. I also told them I would read a Japanese manga type novel, back to front, right to left....I need a breather first. Will read THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOE before. ( )
  LivelyLady | Feb 22, 2011 |
Although some fans of the novels aren’t comfortable with the comic format, I found this story entertaining escapist fiction. Events escalate quickly into a roller coaster ride with a reassuring ending.

Queenie Chanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Koontz, Dean R.Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Was inspired by

“Meet a young man named Odd . . . who helps the dead get even."

From the infinite imagination of #1 New York Times bestselling author Dean Koontz comes the suspenseful graphic-novel debut of a natural-born hero with a supernatural twist.

Odd Thomas is a regular nineteen-year-old with an unusual gift: the ability to see the lingering spirits of the dead. To Odd, it’s not such a big deal. And most folks in sleepy Pico Mundo, California, are much more interested in the irresistible pancakes Odd whips up at the local diner. Still, communing with the dead can be useful. Because while some spirits only want a little company . . . others want justice.

When the sad specter of a very frightened boy finds its way to him, Odd vows to root out the evil suddenly infecting the sunny streets of Pico Mundo. But even with his exceptional ability–plus the local police and his pistol-packing girlfriend, Stormy, backing him–is Odd any match for a faceless stalker who’s always a step ahead . . . and determined to kill again?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:22 -0400)

As evil coils under the searing desert sun, Odd Thomas travels through the shifting prisms of his world, struggling to avert a looming cataclysm with the aid of his soul mate and an unlikely community of allies that includes the King of Rock 'n' Roll.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,340,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible