Odd Hours (Odd Thomas Novels, Book 4) by…

Odd Hours (Odd Thomas Novels, Book 4) (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Dean Koontz

2,319762,723 (3.78)74
Title:Odd Hours (Odd Thomas Novels, Book 4)
Authors:Dean Koontz
Info:Bantam (2008), Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, 2008
Tags:Supernatural, Suspence, Ghosts

Odd Hours by Dean Koontz (2008)

English (74)  Spanish (1)  All languages (75)
This is the fourth book in the Odd series. Odd left the monastery at the end of book three and headed off to the Coast with Frank Sinatra and his ghost dog Boo in tow. When he gets there he gets the job of an in house chef for an reclusive actor from the 40's or 50's, his employer has a very small part and really adds nothing to the storyline. In fact not many of the characters introduced add much to the storyline, every character is weirder than the last and I'm not sure what value they have other than that Koontz wanted to write about them.
The flow if this book wasn't as easy as the first one or even the second one, this book took me almost three times as long to get thorough just because I couldn't seem to get invested in the storyline. And on top of that, every time I picked the book up I had forgotten what had gone on before, the story just didn't stick in my mind.
There is something happening, Odd saw it in a dream, but what oh what is it? Man have we seen that storyline before, and it would be fine if he wants to keep up that premise, but that means there has to be a bit more development to Odd as a character, and he has turned out to be rather flat. Oh so sad his girl is dead, oh so troubled that he sees dead people, his only ambition in life is to sell tires because it seems easy. Really isn't it time for Odd to have some growth? And in this book, I think Odd only saw one other dead person besides Frank Sinatra, whom he helped move on. What famous singer will haunt Odd now?
I think Koontz tried to do something larger with the good vs. evil and Annemarie, but he just didn't make it. It del choppy and incomplete. There was too much vagueness, and what I assume Koontz thought was foreshadowing and not enough real story. I think Koontz tried to hard, wanted to make what I assume started out as a fun story about a guy who sees dead people, into a larger, deeper story. When he should have just stuck to a kooky book about a guy who sees ghosts, and left the deeper meaning of life to another storyline or another writer.
For additional reviews please see my blog at www.adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com
  Serinde24 | Sep 27, 2015 |
I have enjoyed the "Odd" books since the first one came out. This one was a little disappointing. It seemed as if the book was trying too hard to write itself and get to the end. Make sense? In my opinion there was not enough "odd" in Odd Thomas and a little too much "shoot-em-up and get out of here" for my taste. However, after I finished it and digested a little bit - hmmmm - it could be a "transition" book setting up an absolutely awesome 5th installment in this series.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Some loose ends, I thought. Particularly with the weird girl. She was a little too cryptic for my tastes, and a bit annoying. But as always I loved Odd, and want to be his friend. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
What can I say........another great book! Once you read the first Odd Thomas book you have to read them all! They're that good! ( )
  kat32969 | Apr 20, 2015 |
This book wasn't as good as the previous "Odd Thomas" books, but I enjoyed it as I've enjoyed this character throughout the other 3 books. If you liked the other 3 you'll like this one, too. :) ( )
  prplhez8 | Feb 24, 2015 |

Dean Koontzprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baker, David AaronNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This fourth Odd adventure is dedicated to Bruce, Carolyn and Michael Rouleau. To Michael because he made his parents proud. To Carolyn because she makes Bruce happy. To Bruce because he has been so reliable all these years, and because he truly knows what it means to love a good dog.
The man-made world...is a perverse realm of ego and envy, where power-mad cynics make flase idols of themselves and where the meek have no inheritance because they have gladly surrendered it to their idols in return not for lasting glory but for an occasional parade, not for bread but for the promise of bread.
If evil geniuses are so rare, why do so many bad people get away with so many crimes against their fellow citizens and, when they become leaders of nations, against humanity?
Edmund Burke provided the answer in 1795: The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
I would only add this: It is also essential that good men and women not be educated and propagandized into believing that real evil is a myth and that all malevolent behavior is merely the result of a broken family's or a failed society's shortcomings, amenable to cure by counseling and by the application of new economic theory.
To do something, to do what you feel sure is right and in the aid of justice, you sometimes have to do things that, when recalled on lonely nights, make you wonder if in fact you are the good man that you like to believe you are.
Note: BAU = Brilliance Audio Unabridged, 8d = 8 discs
Answer to: unknown if audio book is abridged or unabridged.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553807056, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive Essay: Destiny and Odd Hours

Odd Thomas came to me as a gift, the entire first chapter of his first book having poured out of me as I was in the middle of writing The Face. I wrote it by hand, though I never work that way, and I never hesitated to think what should come next. He was fully-realized in my mind from the moment I began to write in that lined legal tablet. With other stories and characters, I can identify the source of the inspiration, but not with Oddie and his books. He just suddenly was. When I write about him, his narrative voice is so clear to me that I almost hear him in my head.

For those among you who long have thought that I should be institutionalized, just relax: I said I almost hear him.

Many times over the years, I said I would never write an open-ended series. Then along came Oddie, and he proved me wrong. Or so I thought. As I wrote the first chapter of Odd Hours, the fourth featuring my fry-cook hero, I realized that this was not an open-ended series, after all, but that it would conclude with six or seven novels. I now think seven.

I suddenly saw the end point of his journey, the arc of it to the final book, and I was stunned. Beginning with this fourth story, the stakes were being raised dramatically; Oddie was going to face far more physical and moral danger than previously; and he was going to mature toward the fulfillment of a destiny that I had not seen coming until that moment.

Initially, I tried to argue myself out of the direction that Odd Hours was taking. I didn't believe that the first three books had put down a sufficient foundation to support the formidable architecture that I saw rising from it in the next three or four novels.

When I began to reread the first three books, however, I quickly discovered that I had unconsciously paved the road that the series was now taking. I had thought I was writing a series with an overall theme about the power and beauty of humility. Indeed I was, but it was also something more than that; and Oddie's ultimate destiny will not be merely purification to a state of absolute humility, but will be that and something else I find quite wonderful.

What lies ahead will be a challenge to write--or perhaps not. The character of Odd Thomas was a gift to me, and now I see that the entire architecture of a seven-book series was another gift that came to me complete on the same day Oddie arrived, although I needed time to recognize it.

This world is a place of wonder, and life is a mysterious enterprise; but nothing in all my years has been more mysterious than Odd Thomas's origins and my compulsion to write about him.

-- Dean Koontz

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:22 -0400)

Haunted by dreams of a powerful red tide, Odd Thomas, accompanied by two otherworldly sidekicks--his dog Boo and the Chairman of the Board--is drawn to a small California coastal town, where nothing is at it appears and where he confronts overwhelming and sinister forces out to stop his quest.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,764,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible