Odd Hours by Dean Koontz

Odd Hours (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Dean Koontz

Member:stacys13
Title:Odd Hours
Authors:Dean Koontz
Info:Bantam (2008), Hardcover, 368 pages

Odd Hours by Dean Koontz (2008)

Recently added byprivate library, Bibajima, mitzee333, smithcr01, nanornanor, fatdulac, Hemsworth05, klweiand

English (93)  Spanish (1)  All languages (94)
This is the fourth book in the Odd series. Odd left the monastery at the end of book three and headed off to the Coast with Frank Sinatra and his ghost dog Boo in tow. When he gets there he gets the job of an in house chef for an reclusive actor from the 40's or 50's, his employer has a very small part and really adds nothing to the storyline. In fact not many of the characters introduced add much to the storyline, every character is weirder than the last and I'm not sure what value they have other than that Koontz wanted to write about them. There is something happening, Odd saw it in a dream, but what oh what is it? I think Koontz tried to hard, wanted to make what I assume started out as a fun story about a guy who sees dead people, into a larger, deeper story. When he should have just stuck to a kooky book about a guy who sees ghosts, and left the deeper meaning of life to another storyline or another writer.

To read my full review see my blog: http://adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com ( )
  Serinde24 | Aug 17, 2018 |
Sometimes, I find myself wondering why I keep reading this series. The next thing I know, I have goosebumps and need a handkerchief. I just like Odd and his menagerie of quirky friends. The story can get pretty annoying, but worth sticking with it. ( )
  blueraven57 | Feb 16, 2018 |
This is probably my least favorite Odd so far. It don't know what it was. It wasn't bad. It just didn't feel as impactful to me as the other books have so far. It felt a little TOO big, if that makes sense. I'm interested to see where everything goes though with the new characters now all traveling together.

The thing I have to say about the Odd Thomas books is, the side characters make the story. If it weren't for the quirky cohorts that Odd finds along the way, it would be very easy for the series to become heavy and even depressing. But somehow Odd always manages to find these people who, even while he's going through these huge crises, manage to make you laugh. My absolute favorite by far in this book was Hutch, the elderly retired actor that has given Odd a job in the beginning of the story. The man is an absolute delight!

As a sort of spoilery aside, I loved Frank Sinatra (and I'm sad that he's gone, I hoped we might have many more books with him!), but I definitely missed Elvis. I know he had to go on, but it felt strangely lonely without him. At least we still have Boo! :) ( )
  fogisbeautiful | Feb 13, 2018 |
Apparently Odd Thomas (and it seems that is his real name) is a young fry cook who finds himself in the most improbable situations being a hero. He seems like a very like able character, and a decent guy. I just get the feeling that Koontz is messing with my head with books like this. In this one, Odd foils terrorists attempts to bring nuclear weapons onto U.S. soil using a corrupt police and harbor patrol in a small coastal California town. Odd foils them with the help of some flighty good Samaritans, a golden retriever, and the ghost of Frank Sinatra. I think you see my point. ( )
  bekkil1977 | Feb 10, 2018 |
I thought this story was considerably bleaker than the last three books and so I did not enjoy it as much. ( )
  carru | Sep 28, 2017 |

Dean Koontzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baker, David AaronNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kleinschmidt, BernhardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This fourth Odd adventure is dedicated to Bruce, Carolyn and Michael Rouleau. To Michael because he made his parents proud. To Carolyn because she makes Bruce happy. To Bruce because he has been so reliable all these years, and because he truly knows what it means to love a good dog.
IT'S ONLY LIFE. WE ALL GET THROUGH IT.
The man-made world...is a perverse realm of ego and envy, where power-mad cynics make flase idols of themselves and where the meek have no inheritance because they have gladly surrendered it to their idols in return not for lasting glory but for an occasional parade, not for bread but for the promise of bread.
If evil geniuses are so rare, why do so many bad people get away with so many crimes against their fellow citizens and, when they become leaders of nations, against humanity?
Edmund Burke provided the answer in 1795: The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
I would only add this: It is also essential that good men and women not be educated and propagandized into believing that real evil is a myth and that all malevolent behavior is merely the result of a broken family's or a failed society's shortcomings, amenable to cure by counseling and by the application of new economic theory.
To do something, to do what you feel sure is right and in the aid of justice, you sometimes have to do things that, when recalled on lonely nights, make you wonder if in fact you are the good man that you like to believe you are.
Note: BAU = Brilliance Audio Unabridged, 8d = 8 discs
Answer to: unknown if audio book is abridged or unabridged.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553807056, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive Essay: Destiny and Odd Hours

Odd Thomas came to me as a gift, the entire first chapter of his first book having poured out of me as I was in the middle of writing The Face. I wrote it by hand, though I never work that way, and I never hesitated to think what should come next. He was fully-realized in my mind from the moment I began to write in that lined legal tablet. With other stories and characters, I can identify the source of the inspiration, but not with Oddie and his books. He just suddenly was. When I write about him, his narrative voice is so clear to me that I almost hear him in my head.

For those among you who long have thought that I should be institutionalized, just relax: I said I almost hear him.

Many times over the years, I said I would never write an open-ended series. Then along came Oddie, and he proved me wrong. Or so I thought. As I wrote the first chapter of Odd Hours, the fourth featuring my fry-cook hero, I realized that this was not an open-ended series, after all, but that it would conclude with six or seven novels. I now think seven.

I suddenly saw the end point of his journey, the arc of it to the final book, and I was stunned. Beginning with this fourth story, the stakes were being raised dramatically; Oddie was going to face far more physical and moral danger than previously; and he was going to mature toward the fulfillment of a destiny that I had not seen coming until that moment.

Initially, I tried to argue myself out of the direction that Odd Hours was taking. I didn't believe that the first three books had put down a sufficient foundation to support the formidable architecture that I saw rising from it in the next three or four novels.

When I began to reread the first three books, however, I quickly discovered that I had unconsciously paved the road that the series was now taking. I had thought I was writing a series with an overall theme about the power and beauty of humility. Indeed I was, but it was also something more than that; and Oddie's ultimate destiny will not be merely purification to a state of absolute humility, but will be that and something else I find quite wonderful.

What lies ahead will be a challenge to write--or perhaps not. The character of Odd Thomas was a gift to me, and now I see that the entire architecture of a seven-book series was another gift that came to me complete on the same day Oddie arrived, although I needed time to recognize it.

This world is a place of wonder, and life is a mysterious enterprise; but nothing in all my years has been more mysterious than Odd Thomas's origins and my compulsion to write about him.

-- Dean Koontz

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:22 -0400)

Haunted by dreams of a powerful red tide, Odd Thomas, accompanied by two otherworldly sidekicks--his dog Boo and the Chairman of the Board--is drawn to a small California coastal town, where nothing is at it appears and where he confronts overwhelming and sinister forces out to stop his quest.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,356,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible