Odd Hours by Dean Koontz

Odd Hours (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Dean Koontz

Member:nolenag03
Title:Odd Hours
Authors:Dean Koontz
Info:Bantam (2008), Hardcover, 368 pages

Odd Hours by Dean Koontz (2008)

This book wasn't as good as the previous "Odd Thomas" books, but I enjoyed it as I've enjoyed this character throughout the other 3 books. If you liked the other 3 you'll like this one, too. :) ( )
  prplhez8 | Feb 24, 2015 |
It was okay. Just sort of ended. It feels like it builds and builds and then just stops. ( )
  adam.d.woodard | Feb 23, 2015 |
This was the first book in the series that I think fits the description of sequel... or more aptly put, continuation of the original book.

In Forever Odd, Dean bored me to death because the book, to me, was pointless. He mentioned Forever Odd in Brother Odd, but only briefly and in no way did it pertain to the story. Now, In Odd Hours, you hear no mention of the casino happenings from the second novel. More and more I feel like Koontz is trying to say, "Sorry about that, folks, let's get back on track.

Odd is moving toward something in Odd Hours, something big, and I believe that the series has officially begun. It took Dear Old Dean two books to get here, but he finally knows where he's going.

The book begins like meth addict scrambling for a crystal he's lost down a drain. I wasn't expecting that. The fourth book in the Odd Thomas franchise is one long chase scene. If someone's not chasing Odd, Odd is chasing someone. There are a few very obtuse sections involving rhythmic underground noises and coyotes that are more than they appear to be which are never explained. Not to mention Annamaria. This girl is brought in, introduced, then shoved off screen in a damn hurry. I can't help but think that she will play a major role in the fifth book, Odd Apocalypse, which I will be reading next. Some have complained about the unanswered questions, but I like them. I finally have a reason to read the rest of the series.

***Spoiler Alert***

The chapters involving the boat journey, the nukes, and Odd's descent into darkness to save, as Annamaria puts it, "Cities," was some of the best suspense writing I have ever come across. Dean threw me a curve-ball, and I whiffed the swing like a roid-raging bean head. I didn't see that section coming. Odd has been such a tranquil character up until now, only acting out of shear desperation. Here, he is calculating and ruthless.

Then, he meets up with the big reveal. I laughed my ever-loving ass off during the back and forth in the final chapters. It was like watching a mystery film parody unfold. Dean must be part magician because he just pulled people out of thin air and piled them up like kindling for the winter. Someone shoots someone only to get shot by someone who then gets shot by someone else. No, really, that's how it goes. I knew I shouldn't be laughing, but by the time I reached the cliffhanger ending, my guts were hurting. I will say, I didn't see how the last baddie dies coming. Smooth bit of distraction done on Koontz's part there. But, the end, not the cliffhanger, but the final scene in the rectory, caused me to lower my initial five stars to four. Now, if Koontz meant for me to laugh at his outrageous pop-up bad guy act, then bravo, but somehow, I think he meant for me to take it seriously.

Much better than Forever Odd, not quite as good as Odd Thomas or Brother Odd, Odd Hours is just stupid fun for smart people. I recommend this one, but I will further state that you should avoid Forever Odd like the air-bourne version of Ebola. If anyone can tell me why we needed book two in the series, please, for the love of Tom Cruise, shoot me an email.

E. ( )
  Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |
This book seemed a little slower to get into than the other Dean Kootz novels I have read. But once the action started it was interesting and the plot twists were unexpected. ( )
  KamGeb | Feb 3, 2015 |
Not as good as the previous entries. A gripping story, but the end dropped it down one star because too much was unexplained - such as the whole point of Annamaria. ( )
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |
This fourth Odd adventure is dedicated to Bruce, Carolyn and Michael Rouleau. To Michael because he made his parents proud. To Carolyn because she makes Bruce happy. To Bruce because he has been so reliable all these years, and because he truly knows what it means to love a good dog.

IT'S ONLY LIFE. WE ALL GET THROUGH IT.
The man-made world...is a perverse realm of ego and envy, where power-mad cynics make flase idols of themselves and where the meek have no inheritance because they have gladly surrendered it to their idols in return not for lasting glory but for an occasional parade, not for bread but for the promise of bread.
If evil geniuses are so rare, why do so many bad people get away with so many crimes against their fellow citizens and, when they become leaders of nations, against humanity?
Edmund Burke provided the answer in 1795: The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
I would only add this: It is also essential that good men and women not be educated and propagandized into believing that real evil is a myth and that all malevolent behavior is merely the result of a broken family's or a failed society's shortcomings, amenable to cure by counseling and by the application of new economic theory.
To do something, to do what you feel sure is right and in the aid of justice, you sometimes have to do things that, when recalled on lonely nights, make you wonder if in fact you are the good man that you like to believe you are.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553807056, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive Essay: Destiny and Odd Hours

Odd Thomas came to me as a gift, the entire first chapter of his first book having poured out of me as I was in the middle of writing The Face. I wrote it by hand, though I never work that way, and I never hesitated to think what should come next. He was fully-realized in my mind from the moment I began to write in that lined legal tablet. With other stories and characters, I can identify the source of the inspiration, but not with Oddie and his books. He just suddenly was. When I write about him, his narrative voice is so clear to me that I almost hear him in my head.

For those among you who long have thought that I should be institutionalized, just relax: I said I almost hear him.

Many times over the years, I said I would never write an open-ended series. Then along came Oddie, and he proved me wrong. Or so I thought. As I wrote the first chapter of Odd Hours, the fourth featuring my fry-cook hero, I realized that this was not an open-ended series, after all, but that it would conclude with six or seven novels. I now think seven.

I suddenly saw the end point of his journey, the arc of it to the final book, and I was stunned. Beginning with this fourth story, the stakes were being raised dramatically; Oddie was going to face far more physical and moral danger than previously; and he was going to mature toward the fulfillment of a destiny that I had not seen coming until that moment.

Initially, I tried to argue myself out of the direction that Odd Hours was taking. I didn't believe that the first three books had put down a sufficient foundation to support the formidable architecture that I saw rising from it in the next three or four novels.

When I began to reread the first three books, however, I quickly discovered that I had unconsciously paved the road that the series was now taking. I had thought I was writing a series with an overall theme about the power and beauty of humility. Indeed I was, but it was also something more than that; and Oddie's ultimate destiny will not be merely purification to a state of absolute humility, but will be that and something else I find quite wonderful.

What lies ahead will be a challenge to write--or perhaps not. The character of Odd Thomas was a gift to me, and now I see that the entire architecture of a seven-book series was another gift that came to me complete on the same day Oddie arrived, although I needed time to recognize it.

This world is a place of wonder, and life is a mysterious enterprise; but nothing in all my years has been more mysterious than Odd Thomas's origins and my compulsion to write about him.

-- Dean Koontz

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:30 -0400)

Haunted by dreams of a powerful red tide, Odd Thomas, accompanied by two otherworldly sidekicks--his dog Boo and the Chairman of the Board--is drawn to a small California coastal town, where nothing is at it appears and where he confronts overwhelming and sinister forces out to stop his quest.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,717,615 books! | Top bar: Always visible