Odd Hours by Dean Koontz

Odd Hours (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Dean Koontz

2,208662,940 (3.77)73
Member:nolenag03
Title:Odd Hours
Authors:Dean Koontz
Info:Bantam (2008), Hardcover, 368 pages

Odd Hours by Dean Koontz (2008)

Recently added bykybunnies, grapeapril75, private library, alexbarger, LoriGross82, avs24, mpontiff, trishaj

The Odd Thomas series is among my top five favorite series. The word "grace" is often used in reviews and in within the book to describe Odd and I don't think there's a better word for him.

Koontz said in the back of his first Odd Thomas graphic novel that he sees the series being complete with six books. I'm looking forward to seeing what he has in store for Odd and Stormy. ( )
  trishaj | Oct 7, 2014 |
I read this over the weekend at the park. It's a quick, easy read with an interesting story. However, I got really turned off by the over use of similes to describe everything. But after talking with friends, this is typical of Dean Koontz's style. It read like a gimmick after a while. I also didn't like the pace of the story. Many chapters would tell the happenings of a few hours, some chapters describing silly things for pages and pages (climbing a bridge pole, etc). It would've been justified if I needed that much description of the happenings, but I felt like the story would've been stronger if more attention was given to the important things and the little details were skimmed over for faster reading. ( )
  LillianGraves | Sep 23, 2014 |
  LillianGraves | Sep 23, 2014 |
This is the fourth book in the Odd Thomas series. This one was okay. Not as good as 1 or 3 but better than #2. This time Odd is in Magic Beach and strange things are happening when he meets a strange woman on the pier. From there, it's just craziness and odd things occurring.

For the rest of the review, visit my blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/74945.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Jul 10, 2014 |
Dear Annamaria - your Mary Sue is showing. Please work on that. Kthxbai. ( )
  blitheandbonny | Apr 6, 2014 |
This fourth Odd adventure is dedicated to Bruce, Carolyn and Michael Rouleau. To Michael because he made his parents proud. To Carolyn because she makes Bruce happy. To Bruce because he has been so reliable all these years, and because he truly knows what it means to love a good dog.

IT'S ONLY LIFE. WE ALL GET THROUGH IT.
The man-made world...is a perverse realm of ego and envy, where power-mad cynics make flase idols of themselves and where the meek have no inheritance because they have gladly surrendered it to their idols in return not for lasting glory but for an occasional parade, not for bread but for the promise of bread.
If evil geniuses are so rare, why do so many bad people get away with so many crimes against their fellow citizens and, when they become leaders of nations, against humanity?
Edmund Burke provided the answer in 1795: The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
I would only add this: It is also essential that good men and women not be educated and propagandized into believing that real evil is a myth and that all malevolent behavior is merely the result of a broken family's or a failed society's shortcomings, amenable to cure by counseling and by the application of new economic theory.
To do something, to do what you feel sure is right and in the aid of justice, you sometimes have to do things that, when recalled on lonely nights, make you wonder if in fact you are the good man that you like to believe you are.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553807056, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive Essay: Destiny and Odd Hours

Odd Thomas came to me as a gift, the entire first chapter of his first book having poured out of me as I was in the middle of writing The Face. I wrote it by hand, though I never work that way, and I never hesitated to think what should come next. He was fully-realized in my mind from the moment I began to write in that lined legal tablet. With other stories and characters, I can identify the source of the inspiration, but not with Oddie and his books. He just suddenly was. When I write about him, his narrative voice is so clear to me that I almost hear him in my head.

For those among you who long have thought that I should be institutionalized, just relax: I said I almost hear him.

Many times over the years, I said I would never write an open-ended series. Then along came Oddie, and he proved me wrong. Or so I thought. As I wrote the first chapter of Odd Hours, the fourth featuring my fry-cook hero, I realized that this was not an open-ended series, after all, but that it would conclude with six or seven novels. I now think seven.

I suddenly saw the end point of his journey, the arc of it to the final book, and I was stunned. Beginning with this fourth story, the stakes were being raised dramatically; Oddie was going to face far more physical and moral danger than previously; and he was going to mature toward the fulfillment of a destiny that I had not seen coming until that moment.

Initially, I tried to argue myself out of the direction that Odd Hours was taking. I didn't believe that the first three books had put down a sufficient foundation to support the formidable architecture that I saw rising from it in the next three or four novels.

When I began to reread the first three books, however, I quickly discovered that I had unconsciously paved the road that the series was now taking. I had thought I was writing a series with an overall theme about the power and beauty of humility. Indeed I was, but it was also something more than that; and Oddie's ultimate destiny will not be merely purification to a state of absolute humility, but will be that and something else I find quite wonderful.

What lies ahead will be a challenge to write--or perhaps not. The character of Odd Thomas was a gift to me, and now I see that the entire architecture of a seven-book series was another gift that came to me complete on the same day Oddie arrived, although I needed time to recognize it.

This world is a place of wonder, and life is a mysterious enterprise; but nothing in all my years has been more mysterious than Odd Thomas's origins and my compulsion to write about him.

-- Dean Koontz

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:30 -0400)

Haunted by dreams of a powerful red tide, Odd Thomas, accompanied by two otherworldly sidekicks--his dog Boo and the Chairman of the Board--is drawn to a small California coastal town, where nothing is at it appears and where he confronts overwhelming and sinister forces out to stop his quest.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,320,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible