Odd Hours by Dean Koontz

Odd Hours (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Dean Koontz

Member:nolenag03
Title:Odd Hours
Authors:Dean Koontz
Info:Bantam (2008), Hardcover, 368 pages

Odd Hours by Dean Koontz (2008)

English (84)  Spanish (1)  All languages (85)
Review: Odd Hours by Dean Koontz.

This is the fourth book of the series and I was not disappointed. Dean Koontz has created a small town setting, a good plot, humor, and a whole new set of characters. In this book Odd Thomas has accommodated the reader with two dogs, a ghost dog and a living dog but best of all Elvis Presley finally crossed over and there is a new celebrate following Odd Thomas around….There are plenty of conflicts for Odd Thomas to get through in this novel even with all his supernatural gifts.

Odds adventure starts right at the beginning when his intuition and psychic magnetism is active and leads him to his first mystery encounter with a pregnant woman named Annemarie who came from nowhere and specks in riddles. Than the story moves on to the ultimate conflict… dealing with the bad guys. Odd moves on to try and save America from nuclear devastation by terrorists using the small town, Magic Beach and it’s shores, moving their deadly cargo to five attractive places within the United States.

In this book Koontz uses the character, Odd Thomas to his fullest. Odd uses his unusual tactics of relying on his gifts in humble ways to foil the plans of the town bad guys. In this attempt, Odd meets some interesting friends who aid him in the rescue. As the reader I always view Odd Thomas as courageous and witty no matter what situation he gets involved in. You can’t help but like his character….

This novel doesn’t beat the level of the first book of the series but it came close….and it leaves the reader with some questions…..
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
David Aaron Baker
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
This book was great, as all of Dean Koontz's are. There was a high level of both suspense and humor. I was somewhat annoyed but some anti-climactic plot points, and of course the incessant and unanswered questions from the first to the last pages of the book, but it also gives me hope that the next book will be a masterpiece. ( )
  auberginequeen | Feb 13, 2016 |
This is the fourth book in the Odd Thomas series, and was just as cleverly written as the other three. I have never read another Koontz series (or standalone), but I am going to add his books to my TBR simply because of the writing style he exhibits in this series.

Here are some of my favorite lines:

• Words are plastic these days. Small loans made to desperate people at exorbitant rates are called payday advance. A cheesy hotel paired with a seedy casino is called a resort. Any assemblage of frenetic images, bad music, and incoherent plot is called a major motion picture.
• Malevolence and paranoia cohabit in a twisted mind. Bad men trust no one because they know the treachery of which they themselves are capable.
• Sometimes I am a mystery to myself.
• Although weaponless, I left the house by the back door, with two chocolate-pumpkin cookies. It's a tough world out there, and a man has to armor himself against it however he can.

See? Both humorous and poignant statements. That is the hallmark, I am finding, of these Odd Thomas books, and one thing that makes them such a pleasure to read.

This one ended a little abruptly for me. Who was Annamaria? What became of the baby she carried? Why were the men after her? Will we see Birdie Hopkins again? Did anyone else miss Ozzie?

Instead of being frustrated with the lack of answers, I am propelled to the next in the series. Koontz has never let me down before and there is no reason to suspect he will begin now.

Highly recommended. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
I liked this book. I didn't think it was good as the rest of the Odd series. ( )
  i.should.b.reading | Jan 15, 2016 |

Dean Koontzprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baker, David AaronNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This fourth Odd adventure is dedicated to Bruce, Carolyn and Michael Rouleau. To Michael because he made his parents proud. To Carolyn because she makes Bruce happy. To Bruce because he has been so reliable all these years, and because he truly knows what it means to love a good dog.
IT'S ONLY LIFE. WE ALL GET THROUGH IT.
The man-made world...is a perverse realm of ego and envy, where power-mad cynics make flase idols of themselves and where the meek have no inheritance because they have gladly surrendered it to their idols in return not for lasting glory but for an occasional parade, not for bread but for the promise of bread.
If evil geniuses are so rare, why do so many bad people get away with so many crimes against their fellow citizens and, when they become leaders of nations, against humanity?
Edmund Burke provided the answer in 1795: The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
I would only add this: It is also essential that good men and women not be educated and propagandized into believing that real evil is a myth and that all malevolent behavior is merely the result of a broken family's or a failed society's shortcomings, amenable to cure by counseling and by the application of new economic theory.
To do something, to do what you feel sure is right and in the aid of justice, you sometimes have to do things that, when recalled on lonely nights, make you wonder if in fact you are the good man that you like to believe you are.
Note: BAU = Brilliance Audio Unabridged, 8d = 8 discs
Answer to: unknown if audio book is abridged or unabridged.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553807056, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive Essay: Destiny and Odd Hours

Odd Thomas came to me as a gift, the entire first chapter of his first book having poured out of me as I was in the middle of writing The Face. I wrote it by hand, though I never work that way, and I never hesitated to think what should come next. He was fully-realized in my mind from the moment I began to write in that lined legal tablet. With other stories and characters, I can identify the source of the inspiration, but not with Oddie and his books. He just suddenly was. When I write about him, his narrative voice is so clear to me that I almost hear him in my head.

For those among you who long have thought that I should be institutionalized, just relax: I said I almost hear him.

Many times over the years, I said I would never write an open-ended series. Then along came Oddie, and he proved me wrong. Or so I thought. As I wrote the first chapter of Odd Hours, the fourth featuring my fry-cook hero, I realized that this was not an open-ended series, after all, but that it would conclude with six or seven novels. I now think seven.

I suddenly saw the end point of his journey, the arc of it to the final book, and I was stunned. Beginning with this fourth story, the stakes were being raised dramatically; Oddie was going to face far more physical and moral danger than previously; and he was going to mature toward the fulfillment of a destiny that I had not seen coming until that moment.

Initially, I tried to argue myself out of the direction that Odd Hours was taking. I didn't believe that the first three books had put down a sufficient foundation to support the formidable architecture that I saw rising from it in the next three or four novels.

When I began to reread the first three books, however, I quickly discovered that I had unconsciously paved the road that the series was now taking. I had thought I was writing a series with an overall theme about the power and beauty of humility. Indeed I was, but it was also something more than that; and Oddie's ultimate destiny will not be merely purification to a state of absolute humility, but will be that and something else I find quite wonderful.

What lies ahead will be a challenge to write--or perhaps not. The character of Odd Thomas was a gift to me, and now I see that the entire architecture of a seven-book series was another gift that came to me complete on the same day Oddie arrived, although I needed time to recognize it.

This world is a place of wonder, and life is a mysterious enterprise; but nothing in all my years has been more mysterious than Odd Thomas's origins and my compulsion to write about him.

-- Dean Koontz

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:22 -0400)

Haunted by dreams of a powerful red tide, Odd Thomas, accompanied by two otherworldly sidekicks--his dog Boo and the Chairman of the Board--is drawn to a small California coastal town, where nothing is at it appears and where he confronts overwhelming and sinister forces out to stop his quest.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,990,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible