Good Dog, Carl by Alexandra Day

Good Dog, Carl

by Alexandra Day

Summary: The mother of a small child leaves the dog whose name is Carl in charge of watching the baby while she runs an errand. The baby and Carl get into all shorts of adventure including escaping the crib, the mother's jewelry and make-up, going down the laundry shoot, going swimming in the fishing tank, dancing to music, getting into the food cabinet then even a bath. All of this happens under Carl's watch and with his help. Carl then gets the baby back into bed just in time before the mom gets home. There are only words on the first and last page.

Personal reaction: Growing up we had a dog named Angel and I believe she would have been my right hand gal to helping me get away with all of the things Carl helped the baby with in this story.

Future Classroom Ideas: 1. I can have my students tell me about their animals at home.
2. I can have my students draw a picture of what they would do with their dog if they had a chance like the baby and Carl did. ( )
  LynleeRae | Sep 14, 2014 |
It's been a long time since I read this but I remember I loved it. ( )
  cassie.peters1 | Sep 6, 2014 |
It's been a long time since I read this but I remember I loved it. ( )
  cassie.peters1 | Sep 6, 2014 |
This is very cute book with a lot of great illustrations and very very few words.
Carl is the dog in the story that takes care of the baby, when mama is gone, the baby and Carl had a lot of fun.
I like this book because the drawing is great, and I believe most of us wish to have a dog like Carl.
This is a good read from 1st grade to adults. ( )
  ChengYenLee | Nov 16, 2013 |
This book describes a situation in which a dog has to babysit for his family. I liked this book because of its outrageous humor and would use it in my teaching as an example of a picture book. The grade level that this book would be suitable for are the 1st and 2nd grades and the main theme is helpfulness. ( )
  dylrmstd | Nov 2, 2013 |
This is an great book that has very few words. I would put this in the library for my students to look at during silent time.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

To H.D., who has never let us forget about Ponies
"Look after the baby, Carl. I'll be back shortly."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689817711, Paperback)

Alexandra Day's modern classic Good Dog Carl has sold more than 200,000 copies, captivating countless readers with the lovable rottweiler Carl, endearing illustrations, and the tale's surprising silliness. The book begins with the mother saying, "Look after the baby, Carl. I'll be back shortly." Let the adventure begin! Carl looks out the window to make sure Mom is gone. Once the coast is clear, the baby crawls out of the crib and onto Carl's back. First stop? Mom's bed. Second stop? The top of the dresser where powder puffs are sported as hats. The infant--now in Carl's capable paws--slides down the laundry chute, swims in the fish tank, dances, raids the refrigerator, and makes a huge mess. Carl dutifully bathes the baby, cleans up the chaos, puts his charge back in the crib, and plays it cool when Mom comes home. "Good dog, Carl!" she says upon her return. A sweet, subtly absurd picture book that jubilantly illustrates the old adage, "When the cat's away, the mice will play." (Picture book)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:28 -0400)

Lively and unusual things happen when Carl the dog is left in charge of the baby.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,393,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible