Good Dog, Carl by Alexandra Day

Good Dog, Carl

by Alexandra Day

Recently added byprivate library, SubrosaIlion, shaunaph, PdRLibrary, mschaeffer

Text only on first and last page. Illustrations key to understanding story.
  BdF | Jul 19, 2015 |
We picked this up at the library the other day. My 16-month-old loves it because there's a picture of a dog on every page. It's an adorable story, and beautifully illustrated. We're on the lookout now for a copy to buy.
  Amelia_Smith | May 2, 2015 |
Good Dog, Carl, is a picture book with only three sentences. A mother says to her dog "look after the baby Carl. I'll be back shortly." Carl and the baby then proceed to have many adventures while the mother is out. The baby rides on Carl's back from room to room as they play dress up, go down the laundry shoot, dance in the living room, make a mess in the kitchen and take bath. Carl then puts the baby back in the bed and wait for mother to get home like nothing happened. Obviously this book isn't realistic, but I'm sure every child would want to have an adventure with their dog. Each child could write down their ideal adventure with their pet, and if they don't have one, they an choose a friend or family member to have an adventure with. ( )
  EmilyDrennan | Apr 25, 2015 |
THis is a mostly wordless book. The book is about Carl, the dog, and Madeliene, his owner. They go on adventures and this book would be good to use with kids learning a second language, or as a writing promp.
  harleybrenton | Mar 12, 2015 |
Summary: The mother of a small child leaves the dog whose name is Carl in charge of watching the baby while she runs an errand. The baby and Carl get into all shorts of adventure including escaping the crib, the mother's jewelry and make-up, going down the laundry shoot, going swimming in the fishing tank, dancing to music, getting into the food cabinet then even a bath. All of this happens under Carl's watch and with his help. Carl then gets the baby back into bed just in time before the mom gets home. There are only words on the first and last page.

Personal reaction: Growing up we had a dog named Angel and I believe she would have been my right hand gal to helping me get away with all of the things Carl helped the baby with in this story.

Future Classroom Ideas: 1. I can have my students tell me about their animals at home.
2. I can have my students draw a picture of what they would do with their dog if they had a chance like the baby and Carl did. ( )
  LynleeRae | Sep 14, 2014 |
This is an great book that has very few words. I would put this in the library for my students to look at during silent time.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr
To H.D., who has never let us forget about Ponies
"Look after the baby, Carl. I'll be back shortly."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689817711, Paperback)

Alexandra Day's modern classic Good Dog Carl has sold more than 200,000 copies, captivating countless readers with the lovable rottweiler Carl, endearing illustrations, and the tale's surprising silliness. The book begins with the mother saying, "Look after the baby, Carl. I'll be back shortly." Let the adventure begin! Carl looks out the window to make sure Mom is gone. Once the coast is clear, the baby crawls out of the crib and onto Carl's back. First stop? Mom's bed. Second stop? The top of the dresser where powder puffs are sported as hats. The infant--now in Carl's capable paws--slides down the laundry chute, swims in the fish tank, dances, raids the refrigerator, and makes a huge mess. Carl dutifully bathes the baby, cleans up the chaos, puts his charge back in the crib, and plays it cool when Mom comes home. "Good dog, Carl!" she says upon her return. A sweet, subtly absurd picture book that jubilantly illustrates the old adage, "When the cat's away, the mice will play." (Picture book)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:45 -0400)

Lively and unusual things happen when Carl the dog is left in charge of the baby.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,944,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible