Good Dog, Carl by Alexandra Day

Good Dog, Carl

by Alexandra Day

This is very cute book with a lot of great illustrations and very very few words.
Carl is the dog in the story that takes care of the baby, when mama is gone, the baby and Carl had a lot of fun.
I like this book because the drawing is great, and I believe most of us wish to have a dog like Carl.
This is a good read from 1st grade to adults. ( )
  ChengYenLee | Nov 16, 2013 |
This book describes a situation in which a dog has to babysit for his family. I liked this book because of its outrageous humor and would use it in my teaching as an example of a picture book. The grade level that this book would be suitable for are the 1st and 2nd grades and the main theme is helpfulness. ( )
  dylrmstd | Nov 2, 2013 |
This wordless picture book shows the mischief that can happen with pets and children when adults aren't looking. Carl, the dog, is in charge of the baby while the mom steps out on an errand. They go around the house getting into things. At the end, the dog cleans the baby, puts him to bed, cleans up the messes, and pretends like nothing has happened. Suitable for ages 4 and up. ( )
  a.stone5 | Apr 30, 2013 |
In this first of a series of wordless picture-book devoted to the adventures of a baby-sitting Rottweiler (don't try this at home, parents!), Mother instructs Carl to 'look after the baby," and goes out. Naturally, a dog and infant have better things to do than nap, so baby crawls out of its crib, and Carl oversees its messy (and rather chaotic) playtime, before shepherding his charge back to bed...

I found this little book charming, and am glad I finally gave this series, and its creator, a chance! Of course I've long been familiar with the Carl books, but it was only when I read some glowing reviews by a friend (thanks, Gundula!), that I finally tracked one down, and really looked at it. The artwork, done in egg tempera, is just lovely, Carl is a winsome characters, and the story is amusing. One hopes, of course, that no one is actually using a Rottweiler as a baby-sitter, but as a fun fantasy, this tale works! ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Apr 24, 2013 |
I read this book with my son a million times. We had a big black dog who was an equal partner in child-rearing. Actually, she may have thought she was slightly more responsible than the humans. And she maybe was right. Many of my son's earliest memories involve Inky standing between him and danger. So we loved Carl, of course.

This fantastical little book tells (mostly without words) the story of the best babysitter ever- Carl the Rottweiler. Baby's parents go out on the town and leave Carl in charge. Delightful adventures ensue. So much fun for little kids, and a delicious fantasy for parents.

1 vote satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
This is an great book that has very few words. I would put this in the library for my students to look at during silent time.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

To H.D., who has never let us forget about Ponies
"Look after the baby, Carl. I'll be back shortly."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689817711, Paperback)

Alexandra Day's modern classic Good Dog Carl has sold more than 200,000 copies, captivating countless readers with the lovable rottweiler Carl, endearing illustrations, and the tale's surprising silliness. The book begins with the mother saying, "Look after the baby, Carl. I'll be back shortly." Let the adventure begin! Carl looks out the window to make sure Mom is gone. Once the coast is clear, the baby crawls out of the crib and onto Carl's back. First stop? Mom's bed. Second stop? The top of the dresser where powder puffs are sported as hats. The infant--now in Carl's capable paws--slides down the laundry chute, swims in the fish tank, dances, raids the refrigerator, and makes a huge mess. Carl dutifully bathes the baby, cleans up the chaos, puts his charge back in the crib, and plays it cool when Mom comes home. "Good dog, Carl!" she says upon her return. A sweet, subtly absurd picture book that jubilantly illustrates the old adage, "When the cat's away, the mice will play." (Picture book)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:28 -0400)

Lively and unusual things happen when Carl the dog is left in charge of the baby.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,475,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible