Good Dog, Carl : A Classic Board Book by…

Good Dog, Carl : A Classic Board Book (original 1985; edition 1996)

by Alexandra Day (Author), Alexandra Day (Illustrator)

Series: Carl Adventures (1)

Depicts the adventures of an infant girl and her canine babysitter one day while Mother is out.
Member:CDC123
Title:Good Dog, Carl : A Classic Board Book
Authors:Alexandra Day (Author)
Other authors:Alexandra Day (Illustrator)
Info:Little Simon (1996), Edition: Brdbk, 36 pages

Good Dog, Carl by Alexandra Day (1985)

A lovely little book with detailed, realistic illustrations of Carl, the rottweiler, and the baby he's looking after as they go about the house together. Apart from the first and last page, there are no words, and the story is shown through Carl and the baby's actions and the expressions on their faces. It might, however, create some unrealistic expectations about the capabilities of a pet dog babysitter. ;) ( )
  WeeTurtle | Dec 22, 2018 |
Carl leads his infant on a wild adventure after her mother has left the house.

Although I don't think you should leave a baby alone with a dog, I thought this story was so cute! I love the relationship between the dog and the baby, I thought it was so cute! ( )
  KailiMarion | Dec 10, 2018 |
In this book, Mom leaves a rottweiler named Carl to look after the baby while she steps out. In pictures, Carl takes the baby out of the crib and goes on adventures throughout the house, such as swimming in the fish tank, dancing, eating cookies, and sliding down the laundry chute. Before Mom gets home, Carl cleans up the house, gives the baby a bath, and puts the baby back in the crib in time to be told, "Good dog, Carl."

I might use this book to develop vocabulary among my students. They could pair up and tell the story together, using the pictures as guides. From this experience, they can learn about multiple perspectives as they tell different stories and they will develop language by telling the story. ( )
  mhathaway16 | Oct 10, 2018 |
This book is a great wordless picture book. It tells a story of a dog and a baby who are at home for the day. It takes you through their day and all the fun things they did. I liked this book because the picture were easy to depict but they had a lot of detail for students to create their own story.
USES: I would use this to help students elaborate. Since it has no words it forces them to elaborate on the pictures shown. ( )
  jasminenesbitt1 | Oct 10, 2018 |
Definitely a book for every young children. It had maybe a total of 6-7 words. But there were great and descriptive pictures. ( )
  dgillu1 | Oct 3, 2018 |
This is an great book that has very few words. I would put this in the library for my students to look at during silent time.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Belongs to Series

To H.D., who has never let us forget about Ponies
"Look after the baby, Carl. I'll be back shortly."

Friendly rottweiler /
Baby's four-legged sitter /
Good boy, Carl. Good boy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,766,975 books! | Top bar: Always visible