Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion

Harry the Dirty Dog (original 1956; edition 1976)

by Gene Zion, Margaret Bloy Graham (Illustrator)

Title:Harry the Dirty Dog
Authors:Gene Zion
Other authors:Margaret Bloy Graham (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1976), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:Classics, dogs

Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion (Author) (1956)

Harry is a dog who does not like to take baths - not at all! On bath day, Harry buries the scrubbing brush and runs away. While he's out, he gets as filthy as possible and he loves every minute of it. After a while, he gets tired and ventures back home to his family. But they don't recognize Harry because of how filthy he is. Harry learns to be thankful for what he has and for the family that loves him. He also realizes that baths aren't that bad.

Characters: Harry - the dog, the family that owns Harry
Setting: Harry's family's home
Theme: thankfulness

Possible post-reading discussions may include:
taking baths; grooming/doing things we don't want to because they are good for us; thankfulness; and family.
  kimberlyfox | Oct 1, 2015 |
I thought that this was a good book. I think it is a book that young children will enjoy. I liked this book because I thought the main character, Harry, was a funny, believable character that readers find amusing. I think Harry is a character that readers grow attached to and can relate to by the end of the book. For instance, readers feel quite sad for Harry once he discovers that his family does not recognize him. I also liked this book because it had a good big idea that I think readers can learn from. The big idea was be careful what you wish for, and a more simple idea about good personal hygiene. Harry doesn't want to take a bath and runs away, but once he realizes that his family doesn't recognize him and that he may loose his family forever, he realizes that it is important to take a bath so that he can get his family back. ( )
  lmorte1 | Sep 23, 2015 |
This is a story about a dog whose name is Harry, who doesn’t want to be washed by his owners because he doesn’t like water. Since Harry doesn’t enjoy water, he decided it would be a good idea to run away and go on adventures to the city where he would become even dirtier. Once he was gone for a while, he returned home to see his family, but he was so dirty they didn’t recognize Harry at all. He thought of many ways for them to think it was him but they couldn’t tell until he hopped into their bathtub to be washed. The illustrations in this book are simple and cute. The adventures that Harry goes on are detailed well for readers to see what he did when he left home. The moral to this story is to not stray too far from home, no matter if you’re just a dog or a real person. Family is where the love is but if someone strays too far, family may not recognize the animal, or person, you have become. This would be a tough book for young students to understand with a lesson behind it, but they may enjoy the adventures Harry goes on. ( )
  rharrington30 | Sep 15, 2015 |
In my opinion this was a wonderful book for three reasons. First, the language throughout the book was clear, organized, and descriptive. For example, “Harry was a white dog with black spots who likes everything, except…getting a bath,” unambiguously describes what Harry looks like as well as the focus of the book. Another reason I liked this book is because the plot is engaging and easy to relate to. For example, the author does a wonderful job in grabbing the reader’s attention throughout Harry’s journey roaming the streets and makes the reader want to know what is going to occur next. Lastly, the illustrations throughout the book were fantastic and greatly enhanced the written language. For example, “he rolled over and played dead,” is enhanced through different illustrations showing Harry performing all of his tricks to prove to his family that he was their dog. The main message of this book is that in life, there are many things that we don’t necessarily want to do, but we do them anyway because of the people who care about and love us. ( )
  dbrock3 | Sep 14, 2015 |
While the story Hairy the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion was decent, it was not anything special. While the languages and sentences were simple which is great for younger children, there isn’t much of a message in the story. However I think that the book can be great practice to help children learn to read with expression. For example when the kids say, “they began shouting, Mummy! Daddy! Look, look! Come quick! It’s Harry! It’s Harry!” While there isn’t much of a plot, except a dog who didn’t want to take a bath the plot is well structured and easy to follow. One thing I noticed as I read was the lack of diversity in the illustrations. Every person in the book was white, the book could have displayed more culturally diverse illustrations. There isn’t much of any of a message of the story, it is about a dog who hates bathes so he runs away and gets dirty to the point in which his family can’t recognize him. ( )
  cwoodw3 | Sep 12, 2015 |

Zion, GeneAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graham, Margaret BloyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harry was a white dog with black spots who liked everything, except ... having a bath.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006443009X, Paperback)

"Harry was a white dog with black spots who liked everything, except getting a bath." Taking matters into his own paws, he buries his family's scrubbing brush in the backyard and runs away from home before they can wrangle him into the tub. Harry gets dirty playing in the street, dirtier at the railroad, and dirtier still playing tag with the other dogs. When sliding down the coal chute, he actually changes from a white dog with black spots to a black dog with white spots! Of course, by the time he gets home he is completely unrecognizable to his family--even when he does all his clever flip-flopping tricks. In a stroke of doggy genius, he unearths the bath brush, begs for a bath, and the rest is history. Youngsters will completely relate to the urge to rebel, the thrill of getting dirty, and, finally, the reassurance of family. Gene Zion and Margaret Bloy Graham's Harry the Dirty Dog, first published in 1956 and now rereleased with splashes of color added by the artist herself, is one of those picture books that children never forget. (Ages 3 to 8) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:41 -0400)

When a white dog with black spots runs away from home, he gets so dirty his family doesn't recognize him as a black dog with white spots.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,701,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible