Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion

Harry the Dirty Dog (original 1956; edition 1976)

by Gene Zion, Margaret Bloy Graham (Illustrator)

Member:anboggs
Title:Harry the Dirty Dog
Authors:Gene Zion
Other authors:Margaret Bloy Graham (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1976), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:Classics, dogs

Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion (Author) (1956)

Recently added bycesbooks, cesdemo, private library

This book is light-hearted and a fun read. Kids can relate to Harry not wanting to take a bath! I enjoyed how the story took Harry on an adventure, but he soon realized home was where he wanted to be. I also enjoyed the realistic illustrations. The main idea is outward appearances aren't always what they seem! ( )
  mdinar2 | Sep 22, 2016 |
I liked this book for multiple reasons. The writing was very engaging, I feel like especially for younger readers. I'm sure many kids probably hate getting baths or can relate to not liking something that they have to do so they hide things or run away from their parents when they don't want to do something and so they can relate to this in some way. Also, many young readers like things about animals so the fact that it is about a dog, the young readers would probably find it funny.

I also liked this book because I feel as though the illustrations really enhance the story. For example, Harry went on many adventures throughout his time when he ran away from home and I feel like having the illustrations of showing how Harry got dirtier and how he completely changed from a white dog with black spots to a black dog with white spots made the story better.

The big idea in the book is that things may appear different on the outside. Harry was the same dog, just dirty, but since he looked different his family didn't believe that it was him. However, once they gave him a bath and noticed that he was actually a white dog with black spots, it really was him. ( )
  cboswe2 | Sep 22, 2016 |
I believe that Harry the Dirty Dog is a very good book for the younger grades in elementary schools. I read this book when I was very young and I remember loving it. This book takes the reader through the day of Harry who is a dog. He starts out a white clean dog but as the book goes on he gets himself into situations that make him dirty. Such as "He played at the railroad and got even dirtier." Once Harry goes back home he is now a black dog and his family does not know who he is until he runs upstairs and gets cleaned off. I think this book is very good for children because it shows that no matter how we look we are still the same, as well as, it is okay to get dirty while having fun as long as they clean off later. I think this book would also be good for critical thinking, to see if the students will know is the dirty dog is still Harry. I enjoy the drawings in this book they are fun and very cartoony. The text is very simple and easy to read. ( )
  MeganSiebeneichen | Sep 21, 2016 |
Harry does not want a bath so he hides the scrub brush then goes out to play in the dirt. His family cannot recognize him. Now what does he do?

This is a cute read! I looked for Harry on each page. Didn't always see him. Kids will have a ball as they follow Harry on his adventure. This is good for early readers and beginning readers. ( )
  Sheila1957 | May 29, 2016 |
This is about a dog that does not like taking baths so he runs aways and becomes very dirty. When he returns home he looks like a different dog and he gets a bath. Really cute story!
  mackenzie1992 | Feb 28, 2016 |

Zion, GeneAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graham, Margaret BloyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harry was a white dog with black spots who liked everything, except ... having a bath.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006443009X, Paperback)

"Harry was a white dog with black spots who liked everything, except getting a bath." Taking matters into his own paws, he buries his family's scrubbing brush in the backyard and runs away from home before they can wrangle him into the tub. Harry gets dirty playing in the street, dirtier at the railroad, and dirtier still playing tag with the other dogs. When sliding down the coal chute, he actually changes from a white dog with black spots to a black dog with white spots! Of course, by the time he gets home he is completely unrecognizable to his family--even when he does all his clever flip-flopping tricks. In a stroke of doggy genius, he unearths the bath brush, begs for a bath, and the rest is history. Youngsters will completely relate to the urge to rebel, the thrill of getting dirty, and, finally, the reassurance of family. Gene Zion and Margaret Bloy Graham's Harry the Dirty Dog, first published in 1956 and now rereleased with splashes of color added by the artist herself, is one of those picture books that children never forget. (Ages 3 to 8) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:41 -0400)

When a white dog with black spots runs away from home, he gets so dirty his family doesn't recognize him as a black dog with white spots.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,828,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible