Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion

Harry the Dirty Dog (original 1956; edition 1976)

by Gene Zion, Margaret Bloy Graham (Illustrator)

Member:anboggs
Title:Harry the Dirty Dog
Authors:Gene Zion
Other authors:Margaret Bloy Graham (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1976), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:Classics, dogs

Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion (Author) (1956)

In my opinion this is a very cute book. The language used is clear and descriptive. The plot is organized and swiftly paced. This keeps young children's attention and keeps them interested. The illustrations fit the story well and help children to understand feelings from the point of view of Harry the dog. I believe that the big message of this story is how important it is for children (and pets) to take baths. If not they will get so dirty that they will be unrecognizable to their own family! ( )
  rsochu1 | Feb 23, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book because it was fun and silly but had a warm and heartfelt ending.
The illustrations in the book contributed to the comprehension of the novel. For example, being able to see how the dog changed colors completely, helped me understand the book.
The characters were both believable and well-developed. For any children with pets, they will easily be able to relate to how the children felt when they couldn't find their dog.
The purpose of this book is to show children that they might not enjoy all of the rules in their home, but they are important and are there for a reason. ( )
  agaski3 | Feb 19, 2015 |
I liked this book for the overall message that readers of all ages can grasp. Harry, a small family dog, did not want to take his bath. To avoid this, he decided to run away from home and play in every dirty spot he could imagine. After a while, however, Harry became sad that he was not home with his family and regretted leaving in the first place. I believe many children can relate to Harry when they are asked to do things like chores that they might not want to do. Accompanied by illustration that perfectly painted Harry's adventure, the book teaches readers that although you may not like the rules in your house, there are reasons for rules and you should follow them for the people you love. ( )
  ajohns75 | Feb 19, 2015 |
Harry The Dirty Dog is the cutest book I have ever read. The word choice entertained me, although it is written for young children I enjoyed reading it. This book makes you want to get a puppy. I would really love to read this book to my future students because I know they would fall in love with the book as well.
  pbusto1 | Feb 19, 2015 |
I liked this book for three reasons. The first reason is that the main character, Harry, could represent more than a dog. He resists taking a bath. Many dogs and children resist baths. When a child is reading this story, they could relate to Harry. The second reason is that the illustrations go along with the story. On each page, there are pictures that clearly match the words. The third reason is that the plot has a happy ending. Part of the big message is that Harry realizes he needs to do something he doesn't want to do. He does this because he wants to be reunited with his family. Overall, it is a good children’s story. ( )
  mzellh1 | Feb 19, 2015 |

Zion, GeneAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graham, Margaret BloyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harry was a white dog with black spots who liked everything, except ... having a bath.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006443009X, Paperback)

"Harry was a white dog with black spots who liked everything, except getting a bath." Taking matters into his own paws, he buries his family's scrubbing brush in the backyard and runs away from home before they can wrangle him into the tub. Harry gets dirty playing in the street, dirtier at the railroad, and dirtier still playing tag with the other dogs. When sliding down the coal chute, he actually changes from a white dog with black spots to a black dog with white spots! Of course, by the time he gets home he is completely unrecognizable to his family--even when he does all his clever flip-flopping tricks. In a stroke of doggy genius, he unearths the bath brush, begs for a bath, and the rest is history. Youngsters will completely relate to the urge to rebel, the thrill of getting dirty, and, finally, the reassurance of family. Gene Zion and Margaret Bloy Graham's Harry the Dirty Dog, first published in 1956 and now rereleased with splashes of color added by the artist herself, is one of those picture books that children never forget. (Ages 3 to 8) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:03 -0400)

When a white dog with black spots runs away from home, he gets so dirty his family doesn't recognize him as a black dog with white spots.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,696,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible