Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion

Harry the Dirty Dog (original 1956; edition 1976)

by Gene Zion, Margaret Bloy Graham (Illustrator)

Member:anboggs
Title:Harry the Dirty Dog
Authors:Gene Zion
Other authors:Margaret Bloy Graham (Illustrator)
Info:
Tags:Classics, dogs

Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion (Author) (1956)

Harry the Dirty Dog
Bryan O'Keeffe

This book was extremely cute and I enjoyed reading this book a lot. The book was a very quick read that flowed really well and was fast paced. The illustrations were really large and took up most of the page which made this book an easy read. The illustrations helped set the settings during the 1930's or 1940's. The vehicles were made to look older and from this time period which helped place the setting of story. The dog seemed fairly believable, the dog did not talk so most of the narration was from a third person point of view, this made it more believable. The writing was descriptive, however I feel that for the level this book was written for, it was done very well. A first grader can read this book and easily understand what the dog is doing. There was not a lot to think about in this book, mainly because the dog just has a day by himself getting really dirty. The message of this book was harder to think about than most. I had to think about the message in order to get it; even when you get sick of something, take a break to really think about what you love. ( )
  bokeef2 | Oct 14, 2014 |
I liked this book for two reasons. One reason I liked this book was for the way the story was written. The plot was very engaging, and entertaining. The progression of Harry becoming dirtier and dirtier until he turned into almost a completely different dog would definitely be a fun read for children. Another reason I liked this book was for the main character. I thought that the personality that Harry had was very relatable for some children. Some children may have dogs that don't enjoy bath time much like Harry or the children might not enjoy bath time themselves. Overall, I didn't really understand or see the big message of this book. I thought that it was just a fun, cute story for children to enjoy rather than gain a big idea. ( )
  akwon3 | Oct 7, 2014 |
Review: This book is a wonderful and fun children's book. There are great illustrations that go along with the book. I would highly recommend this book to children or people of any age.

Summary: The book starts out with a white and black spotted dog named Harry. He is laying on his bed and hears the bath water start to run. Harry hates taking baths so he runs and grabs the bath brush and hides it outside in a hole that he digs. After this Harry runs away. He runs through town playing in construction sites, train tracks, and many other dirty areas. He was so dirty that he became a black dog with white spots! After he was so dirty he went home to go see his family, but they didn't recognize him. He tries his hardest to show his family that it is him. Finally he digs up the brush and runs up to the bath and begs for the family to bathe him. After they gave him the soapiest bath of his life they finally realize it was Harry all along.

Argument: This was another book that I read when I was a child and loved. The illustrations were very well done and the way it was written was too.

There were many lessons that children can take away from this book. The first is to not judge people on appearances. Harry was covered in dirt that he didn't even look like himself and the family didn't recognize him or look hard enough at him to know that it was him. Another lesson was the importance of home. Harry was having so much fun running around and getting dirty, but at the end of the day all he wanted to do was go home. ( )
  knold1 | Sep 30, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book because it did a good job telling a story along with adding elements that would be good for a read along. This book has text that is large and readable for a young reader and the pictures are fun and inviting. The pictures do a good job describing what is going on in the story and showing the emotions that are being felt. There was a section of the book that was petterned and I enjoyed that. An example of this is when the book read, "Where they were fixing the street / and got very dirty / He played at the railroad / and got even dirtier." The book keeps this pattern for almost half of the book. This makes it seem fun to read. The "big picture" of this book seems to be for pleasure or a good bedtime story. It would be fun to read with a child. ( )
  ajfurman | Sep 23, 2014 |
I really enjoyed reading this book, even though i did not remember it from my childhood. This book can be used in many units and for many topics such as identity and change and transition. although this book is an easy read, children can receive a more in-depth lesson from it. In the end of the book, I found myself almost yelling at the pages because I wanted the characters to hear me scream "THAT IS YOUR DOG HARRY!" When I find myself wanting to yell at a book, I know it is a good one because I allow myself to really get into the book emotionally.
This story can show the readers that every member in your family is equally important. When Harry is "lost" his family looks all around for him.
There are many lessons that can be made from this book, such as a cleanliness lesson and a description lesson. Children can learn the importance of accurately describing a person or character when writing an essay or in real-life situations.
Finally, this book enforces "appreciating what you have." You could use this book to show that bad things can happen, we just need to know how to appreciate people, pets, and items to their fullest because one day they may just disappear.
  lfasce1 | Sep 22, 2014 |

Zion, GeneAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graham, Margaret BloyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Harry was a white dog with black spots who liked everything, except ... having a bath.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006443009X, Paperback)

"Harry was a white dog with black spots who liked everything, except getting a bath." Taking matters into his own paws, he buries his family's scrubbing brush in the backyard and runs away from home before they can wrangle him into the tub. Harry gets dirty playing in the street, dirtier at the railroad, and dirtier still playing tag with the other dogs. When sliding down the coal chute, he actually changes from a white dog with black spots to a black dog with white spots! Of course, by the time he gets home he is completely unrecognizable to his family--even when he does all his clever flip-flopping tricks. In a stroke of doggy genius, he unearths the bath brush, begs for a bath, and the rest is history. Youngsters will completely relate to the urge to rebel, the thrill of getting dirty, and, finally, the reassurance of family. Gene Zion and Margaret Bloy Graham's Harry the Dirty Dog, first published in 1956 and now rereleased with splashes of color added by the artist herself, is one of those picture books that children never forget. (Ages 3 to 8) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:03 -0400)

When a white dog with black spots runs away from home, he gets so dirty his family doesn't recognize him as a black dog with white spots.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,361,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible