Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion

Harry the Dirty Dog (original 1956; edition 1976)

by Gene Zion, Margaret Bloy Graham (Illustrator)

Member:anboggs
Title:Harry the Dirty Dog
Authors:Gene Zion
Other authors:Margaret Bloy Graham (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1976), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:Classics, dogs

Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion (Author) (1956)

I enjoyed this book because it did a good job telling a story along with adding elements that would be good for a read along. This book has text that is large and readable for a young reader and the pictures are fun and inviting. The pictures do a good job describing what is going on in the story and showing the emotions that are being felt. There was a section of the book that was petterned and I enjoyed that. An example of this is when the book read, "Where they were fixing the street / and got very dirty / He played at the railroad / and got even dirtier." The book keeps this pattern for almost half of the book. This makes it seem fun to read. The "big picture" of this book seems to be for pleasure or a good bedtime story. It would be fun to read with a child. ( )
  ajfurman | Sep 23, 2014 |
I really enjoyed reading this book, even though i did not remember it from my childhood. This book can be used in many units and for many topics such as identity and change and transition. although this book is an easy read, children can receive a more in-depth lesson from it. In the end of the book, I found myself almost yelling at the pages because I wanted the characters to hear me scream "THAT IS YOUR DOG HARRY!" When I find myself wanting to yell at a book, I know it is a good one because I allow myself to really get into the book emotionally.
This story can show the readers that every member in your family is equally important. When Harry is "lost" his family looks all around for him.
There are many lessons that can be made from this book, such as a cleanliness lesson and a description lesson. Children can learn the importance of accurately describing a person or character when writing an essay or in real-life situations.
Finally, this book enforces "appreciating what you have." You could use this book to show that bad things can happen, we just need to know how to appreciate people, pets, and items to their fullest because one day they may just disappear.
  lfasce1 | Sep 22, 2014 |
I thought this was a very cute book that young children would find very engaging. One reason I liked this book is because of the language the author used, which both challenged the reader and was on an appropriate level for the reader. Some pages had three sentences on them, while others had one sentence with a simple structure. For example, one page says, “He danced and he sang,” which should be an easy sentence for the target audience to understand. It gives them confidence when they move to pages that have more words and more complex structures. Another reason I enjoyed this book is because of the silly plot. The silliness of the plot definitely engages readers and makes them want to read more. Harry the dog never wants to get a bath, so he hides the scrub brush in a hole and runs around town having fun with other dogs and in the dirt. He gets so dirty that his family doesn’t recognize him anymore, and he has to run in the house with the scrub brush to get his family’s attention. When they wash him, they realize he is Harry and the book ends with Harry curling up happily back in his bed. The text states, “It was wonderful to be home. Harry fell asleep in his favorite place, happily dreaming.” The main idea of this story is that there is truly no place like home when you are surrounded with people who love you. ( )
  apetru5 | Apr 23, 2014 |
The series about Harry the dog were books that I very much enjoyed as a child and still enjoy to this day. The author uses simple diction in order for young children to be able to read and comprehend the story. For example, "Then he ran away from home. He played where they were fixing the street and got very dirty." Short sentences such as these two are throughout the book making it easy for children to understand. The plot of the story also teaches the children a lesson in a sense. Harry doesn't want to take a bath so he hides his scrub brush and thinks that it will be better to run away from home. He soon regrets this decision because he misses the family and the house. This teaches children that just because they may not want to do something, sometimes they realize that going against the rules isn't as great as they thought it would be. ( )
  mooste2 | Mar 10, 2014 |
This is the story of Harry, the dog who does not like baths. One day he runs away and has a ton of fun getting VERY dirty, so dirty that he changes from a white dog with black spots to a black dog with white spots. His family does not recognize him when he returns home, even after he does some familiar tricks. Finally, Harry decides to take a bath so he can return home. This was a fun, playful story which I enjoyed reading. I could use this book as a mentor text for teaching superlatives. Harry gets dirty, dirtier, dirtier still and dirtiest before returning home. ( )
  asweet2 | Mar 8, 2014 |

Zion, GeneAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graham, Margaret BloyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Harry was a white dog with black spots who liked everything, except ... having a bath.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006443009X, Paperback)

"Harry was a white dog with black spots who liked everything, except getting a bath." Taking matters into his own paws, he buries his family's scrubbing brush in the backyard and runs away from home before they can wrangle him into the tub. Harry gets dirty playing in the street, dirtier at the railroad, and dirtier still playing tag with the other dogs. When sliding down the coal chute, he actually changes from a white dog with black spots to a black dog with white spots! Of course, by the time he gets home he is completely unrecognizable to his family--even when he does all his clever flip-flopping tricks. In a stroke of doggy genius, he unearths the bath brush, begs for a bath, and the rest is history. Youngsters will completely relate to the urge to rebel, the thrill of getting dirty, and, finally, the reassurance of family. Gene Zion and Margaret Bloy Graham's Harry the Dirty Dog, first published in 1956 and now rereleased with splashes of color added by the artist herself, is one of those picture books that children never forget. (Ages 3 to 8) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:03 -0400)

When a white dog with black spots runs away from home, he gets so dirty his family doesn't recognize him as a black dog with white spots.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,975,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible