Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion

Harry the Dirty Dog (original 1956; edition 1976)

by Gene Zion, Margaret Bloy Graham (Illustrator)

2,321912,720 (4.11)38
Member:anboggs
Title:Harry the Dirty Dog
Authors:Gene Zion
Other authors:Margaret Bloy Graham (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1976), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:Classics, dogs

Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion (Author) (1956)

Harry does not want a bath so he hides the scrub brush then goes out to play in the dirt. His family cannot recognize him. Now what does he do?

This is a cute read! I looked for Harry on each page. Didn't always see him. Kids will have a ball as they follow Harry on his adventure. This is good for early readers and beginning readers. ( )
  Sheila1957 | May 29, 2016 |
This is about a dog that does not like taking baths so he runs aways and becomes very dirty. When he returns home he looks like a different dog and he gets a bath. Really cute story!
  mackenzie1992 | Feb 28, 2016 |
I always read this when I went to my grandma's. ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
I liked the book Harry The Dirty Dog for two reasons. First, I liked the illustrations of the story. The illustrations enhanced the plot while adding a visual aid to the written components of the story. The illustrations were extremely descriptive including a lot of detail pertaining to the plot of the story. For example, “Harry played at the railroad and got even dirtier. He played tag with other dogs and became dirtier still.” The illustrations used along with the written text included vivid images of the dog, Harry, playing on the railroad tracks and with other dogs. It showed Harry transition from a white dog to a dirty, black and brown discolored dog. These illustrations were colorful and appealing especially for younger readers to follow along with the storyline. Second, I liked the plot of the story as it followed an organized and easily, readable flow. For example, the story began with “Harry was a white dog with black spots who liked everything, except getting a bath.” The story then progresses and follows the same flow when it restates toward the end, “Harry changed from a white dog with black spots, to a black dog with white spots.” The story followed the same even pace of Harry changing from clean to dirty and back again whilst changing back to his original color and spots. The big idea of the story was to not judge someone based on appearance. As humans, we tend to rely on visual recognition and appearance as a key factor in judging someone without fully knowing anything about the individual. ( )
  sgoshe2 | Feb 22, 2016 |
I thought this was a really cute book, however I was not able to find the message of the book within the storyline or characters. There may not have been a message at all, other than a dog that gets dirty, cleans up, and reunites with his family. This book is told in second person and is told using very simple and and short sentences. I think this book would be a perfect story for a younger audience, the only downfall is that it does not have a definite message and doesn't really teach the reader anything. It's a very well-illustrated and simply told tale of a sweet dog and I think kids would absolutely love it! I just wish there was a message. ( )
  mkatri1 | Dec 9, 2015 |

Zion, GeneAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graham, Margaret BloyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harry was a white dog with black spots who liked everything, except ... having a bath.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006443009X, Paperback)

"Harry was a white dog with black spots who liked everything, except getting a bath." Taking matters into his own paws, he buries his family's scrubbing brush in the backyard and runs away from home before they can wrangle him into the tub. Harry gets dirty playing in the street, dirtier at the railroad, and dirtier still playing tag with the other dogs. When sliding down the coal chute, he actually changes from a white dog with black spots to a black dog with white spots! Of course, by the time he gets home he is completely unrecognizable to his family--even when he does all his clever flip-flopping tricks. In a stroke of doggy genius, he unearths the bath brush, begs for a bath, and the rest is history. Youngsters will completely relate to the urge to rebel, the thrill of getting dirty, and, finally, the reassurance of family. Gene Zion and Margaret Bloy Graham's Harry the Dirty Dog, first published in 1956 and now rereleased with splashes of color added by the artist herself, is one of those picture books that children never forget. (Ages 3 to 8) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:41 -0400)

When a white dog with black spots runs away from home, he gets so dirty his family doesn't recognize him as a black dog with white spots.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,326,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible