Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion

Harry the Dirty Dog (original 1956; edition 1976)

by Gene Zion, Margaret Bloy Graham (Illustrator)

Title:Harry the Dirty Dog
Authors:Gene Zion
Other authors:Margaret Bloy Graham (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1976), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:Classics, dogs

Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion (Author) (1956)

24 months - cute book, an easy and fun read. Who doesn't like a mischievous dog? ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
I really enjoyed the story, Harry the Dirty Dog. The story was insanely cute and I believe that all children will enjoy this book. The story was about a dog that never wanted to take baths but instead liked to play and get dirty. When he realized that the family no longer recognized him due to the filth, he suddenly changed his attitude about baths and decided to get clean. The family finally recognized Harry, and he soon felt one again. I think the author’s choice to use a dog as the main character was a very wise decision. Children are drawn in my animals and dogs are very beloved animals and common household pets. With that, children may be able to relate to the story because of this simple fact. I enjoyed the illustrations as well. They enhanced the story and the style of the pictures enhanced the written text. The language was clear and the writing flowed perfectly. In my opinion, this is a great book for the elementary grades. I believe that they will enjoy it greatly.
  sbanke1 | Oct 6, 2015 |
I enjoyed the book "Harry the Dirty Dog" by Gene Zion. The writing of the book is engaging, sequential, and organized. An example of the engaging and organized writing is "He played where they were fixing the street, and he got very dirty. He played at the railroad, and got even dirtier." The plot is organized and engaging also. There is a clear beginning; Harry does not like to get baths so then he runs into the city. A clear middle and conflict; Harry is not recognized when he comes home because he is covered in mud and dirt. And a resolution; Harry digs up the scrub brush for his family to give him a bath, then they recognize him again. The illustrations are engaging, they are drawn in a crayon or a similar medium. The colors in the drawings are used to make the tone happy and welcoming. The main idea is a powerful meaning because it teaches us that we can change how we look or act, but our home is where we come from. ( )
  kaylastoots | Oct 5, 2015 |
Harry is a dog who does not like to take baths - not at all! On bath day, Harry buries the scrubbing brush and runs away. While he's out, he gets as filthy as possible and he loves every minute of it. After a while, he gets tired and ventures back home to his family. But they don't recognize Harry because of how filthy he is. Harry learns to be thankful for what he has and for the family that loves him. He also realizes that baths aren't that bad.

Characters: Harry - the dog, the family that owns Harry
Setting: Harry's family's home
Theme: thankfulness

Possible post-reading discussions may include:
taking baths; grooming/doing things we don't want to because they are good for us; thankfulness; and family.
  kimberlyfox | Oct 1, 2015 |
I thought that this was a good book. I think it is a book that young children will enjoy. I liked this book because I thought the main character, Harry, was a funny, believable character that readers find amusing. I think Harry is a character that readers grow attached to and can relate to by the end of the book. For instance, readers feel quite sad for Harry once he discovers that his family does not recognize him. I also liked this book because it had a good big idea that I think readers can learn from. The big idea was be careful what you wish for, and a more simple idea about good personal hygiene. Harry doesn't want to take a bath and runs away, but once he realizes that his family doesn't recognize him and that he may loose his family forever, he realizes that it is important to take a bath so that he can get his family back. ( )
  lmorte1 | Sep 23, 2015 |

Zion, GeneAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graham, Margaret BloyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harry was a white dog with black spots who liked everything, except ... having a bath.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006443009X, Paperback)

"Harry was a white dog with black spots who liked everything, except getting a bath." Taking matters into his own paws, he buries his family's scrubbing brush in the backyard and runs away from home before they can wrangle him into the tub. Harry gets dirty playing in the street, dirtier at the railroad, and dirtier still playing tag with the other dogs. When sliding down the coal chute, he actually changes from a white dog with black spots to a black dog with white spots! Of course, by the time he gets home he is completely unrecognizable to his family--even when he does all his clever flip-flopping tricks. In a stroke of doggy genius, he unearths the bath brush, begs for a bath, and the rest is history. Youngsters will completely relate to the urge to rebel, the thrill of getting dirty, and, finally, the reassurance of family. Gene Zion and Margaret Bloy Graham's Harry the Dirty Dog, first published in 1956 and now rereleased with splashes of color added by the artist herself, is one of those picture books that children never forget. (Ages 3 to 8) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:41 -0400)

When a white dog with black spots runs away from home, he gets so dirty his family doesn't recognize him as a black dog with white spots.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,872,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible