I Shall Not Want (Clare Fergusson/Russ Van…

I Shall Not Want (Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries) (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Julia Spencer-Fleming

Member:Barbara.Franzosa
Title:I Shall Not Want (Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries)
Authors:Julia Spencer-Fleming
Info:Minotaur Books (2008), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages

I Shall Not Want by Julia Spencer-Fleming (2008)

Loved and hated this book. Loved because of the turn the relationship between Clare and Russ took...finally! Hated because this book was an emotional rollercoaster and hated the ending. I know she comes back because there are several more books in the series but uggghh! The love story overshadowed the mystery in this one but overall a good story. I like the way the character of Hadley is being developed as well. Can't wait to listen to the next book! ( )
  bostonterrio | Nov 21, 2017 |
Chief of Police Russ Van Alstyne is still mourning the recent death of his wife in the previous book. The local Episcopalian reverend, Clare Fergusson, has re-upped her National Guard status as well as ministering to her flock at St. Alban's. It's been several years since I've picked up one of this series, and I'm glad I decided to go back to Miller's Kill again. These are mysteries with a great sense of character and place. The small town Miller's Kill, New York is not without its' share of big city problems. Touching on many still current topics, from drug running to migrant workers, Clare and Russ find themselves both on opposite and the same side of the law once again. The ending made me double check that there are still a couple more books to go in this fine series. ( )
  ethel55 | Mar 4, 2017 |
From Amazon:

In the small Adirondack town of Millers Kill, New York, life doesn't stop for heartbreak. A brand-new officer in the police department, a breaking-and-entering, and trouble within his own family keep Police Chief Russ Van Alstyne busy enough to ignore the pain of losing his wife—and the woman he loves.

At St. Alban's Episcopal Church, the Reverend Clare Fergusson is trying to keep everyone happy while denying her own wounded soul. When a Mexican farmhand stumbles over a Latino man killed with a single shot to the back of his head, Clare is sucked into the investigation. The discovery of two more bodies executed in the same way ignites fears that a serial killer is loose. Now two would-be lovers, who thought they had lost everything, must find a way to trust each other again—as the violence strikes ever closer to home...

My Thoughts:

It's a mystery story, but it's a whole lot more - action, romance and a focus on small-town life with recurring characters and their families. With topical themes like urban drug runners in small town America, illegal migrant workers, and the Iraq War, there's a lot here to keep you turning the page as you discover (or do you?) how the relationship between Clare and Russ turns out. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
At the start of the sixth book of this mystery series, Chief of Police, Russ Van Alstyne and Episcopal priest, Clare Fergusson, are avoiding each other and trying to recover from events that occurred in the last book (All Mortal Flesh). A van full of undocumented migrant workers on their way to local farms has been ambushed and the men have disappeared into the woods. When the body of a migrant worker is found, Russ and Clare become involved in the investigation; Russ in his role as chief of police and Clare as a caretaker for the injured men. When more migrant worker corpses are discovered, the town of Miller's Kill fear there is a serial killer on the loose.

We are introduced to a new character at the beginning of the book and we follow rookie female officer Hadley Knox and the rest of the Miller's Kill police force as they desperately attempt to bring a hostage standoff to a bloodless end but are unsuccessful. The story then goes back about six months where we start to trace the causes of and players in that fatal shootout. These include the van accident, a series of execution-style murders, an identity switch, an influx of big city gang members, and a family of redneck farmers.

This is a wonderfully complex mystery with interesting characters that live in a vividly imagined small town in the Adirondack Mountains. I highly recommend this series be read in order for maximum enjoyment. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
After having avoided this series for so long due to the massive hype the very first book received, I now have the extremely pleasant task of playing catch-up. After so much avoidance, Julia Spencer-Fleming's series is now one of my favorites, and it has everything to do with the main characters, Russ Van Alstyne and Clare Fergusson. In showing how two very moral people try so hard always to do the right thing yet find themselves sliding down the slippery slope, the author shows readers that no one is exempt from temptation, and that-- even though it's not easy-- people still need to do what's right.

One of the ways she shows that doing what's right is sometimes not easy at all is the predicament in which Van Alstyne's sister finds herself embroiled. She and her husband are dairy farmers and have increased both the size of their land and the size of their herds. The only help they can afford are migrant workers, and they want legal workers with all their paperwork in order. Spencer-Fleming's handling of this entire subplot is sensitively done and well told.

As a matter of fact, quite a bit of the action in I Shall Not Want involves people who are trying their utmost to better themselves and their families-- and not finding it at all easy. Hadley Knox is a prime example of this. She's had a hard life dealing with a succession of low-paying jobs and an abusive husband. Now she and her children are back in Millers Kill, and she's the rookie cop. Hadley took the job not so much because she thought she would make a good police officer but because she desperately needs the money for her children.

Spencer-Fleming knows how to stretch readers' nerves to the breaking point with tense situations; she knows how to make readers' eyes well up with tears; and she also knows how to defuse tension with well-placed (and laugh-out-loud funny) bits of humor. All this is evident in I Shall Not Want. She also did something else that I felt was brilliant. The book begins with Hadley Knox, the rookie, involved in a shoot-out. We see the entire scene through her inexperienced and terrified eyes. At the end of the book, we're taken back to this very same scene, this time from the point of view of the veteran cop, Russ Van Alstyne. It's an amazing piece of writing that I will remember for a long time.

I have two more to go before I'm caught up with this series. After closing the book on this one, I immediately wanted to pick up the next, but I will restrain myself. Better to pace these gems out at intervals rather than gulp them all down at once. ( )
  cathyskye | Jun 20, 2014 |

Spencer-Fleming, Juliaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Czwikla, FraukeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Toren, SuzanneReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My Shepherd will supply my need,
Jehovah is his Name;
In pastures fresh he makes me feed
Beside the living stream.
He brings my wandering spirit back
When I forsake his ways,
And leads me, for his mercy's sake,
In paths of truth and grace.

When I walk through the shades of death,
Thy presence is my stay;
One word of thy supporting breath
Drives all my fears away.
Thy hand, in sight of all my foes,
Doth still my table spread;
My cup with blessings overflows,
Thy oil anoints my head.

The sure provision of my God
Attend me all my days;
Oh, may thy house be mine abode
And all my work be praise.
There would I find a settled rest,
While others go and come;
No more a stranger or a guest,
But like a child at home.

--Isaac Watts (1674-1748) paraphrase of Psalm 23,
The Hymnal, 1982, The Church Pension Fund
To the librarians and libraries who have taught me, shaped me, befriended me, and recommended me, including: (there follows a long list of libraries)
When she saw the glint of the revolver barrel through the broken glass in the window, Hadley Knox thought, I'm going to die for sixteen bucks an hour.

Millers Kill reaches the boiling point in this white-hot novel of love and suspense

People die. Marriages fail. In the small Adirondack town of Millers Kill, New York, however, life doesn’t stop for heartbreak. A brand-new officer in the police department, a breaking-and-entering, and trouble within his own family keep Police Chief Russ Van Alstyne busy enough to ignore the pain of losing his wife---and the woman he loves.

At St. Alban’s Episcopal Church, the Reverend Clare Fergusson is trying to keep her vestry, her bishop, and her National Guard superiors happy---all the while denying her own wounded soul.

When a Mexican farmhand stumbles over a Latino man killed with a single shot to the back of his head, Clare is sucked into the investigation through her involvement in the migrant community. The discovery of two more bodies executed in the same way ignites fears that a serial killer is loose in the close-knit community. While the sorrowful spring turns into a scorching summer, Russ is plagued by media hysteria, conflict within his department, and a series of baffling assaults.

As the violence strikes closer and closer to home, an untried officer is tested, a wary migrant worker is tempted, and two would-be lovers who thought they had lost everything must find a way to trust each other again---before it becomes forever, fatally, too late.

Julia Spencer-Fleming shows you can escape danger---but not desire---in her most suspenseful, passionate novel yet.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:24 -0400)

People die. Marriages fail. In the small Adirondack town of Millers Kill, New York, however, life doesn't stop for heartbreak.

Minotaur Books

An edition of this book was published by Minotaur Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,607,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible