Lord Peter by Dorothy L. Sayers

Lord Peter (edition 1995)

by Dorothy L. Sayers

Member:jamespurcell
Title:Lord Peter
Authors:Dorothy L. Sayers
Info:HarperTorch (1995), Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages
Tags:Fiction, Mystery, Classic, Lord Peter Wimsey, Omnibus

Lord Peter : The Complete Lord Peter Wimsey Stories by Dorothy L. Sayers

I picked this up a year or so ago and *hated* the first story I read, which I thought priggishly class conscious. After reading the Wimsey novels, I liked the stories a great deal more, and would recommend them only after a reader has read at least one or two of Sayers's novels. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Read these AFTER reading at least the first Lord Peter Wimsey novel. My review when I first read them was this: "I read about a third of these, but couldn't bear to slog through the rest. Several authors I love (cough, copperbadge) have mentioned Sayers, and I'm a sucker for urbane fops who are secretly quite intelligent indeed (if you haven't read The Scarlet Pimpernel yet, now is the time). And yet, I just disliked Lord Peter Wimsey. He's so pretty and witty, and everyone else is so foolish and self-absorbed. There's a great deal of disturbing classism. Even worse, the mysteries are unsolvable by the reader--only Wimsey has all the facts, so it's hard to be impressed when he pulls solutions out of thin air. Bah!"
But after being properly introduced to him in [b:Whose Body|192893|Whose Body? (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries)|Dorothy L. Sayers|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1223641924s/192893.jpg|1090544], I love Peter and I love any Sayers story. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Brilliant, funny. I love Lord Peter and his detective stories. Dorothy L. Sayer is worthy reading ( )
  sackville-west | Jul 14, 2015 |
I haven't read all the stories, but those I have are engaging and baffling.
  TrgLlyLibrarian | Feb 1, 2015 |
This complete collection of Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey short stories, later supplanted by The Complete Stories (which includes tales featuring Montague Egg and other, non-character tales), Lord Peter is as fine an introduction as one could hope to world of Wimsey. Sayers' short stories are tremendously good fun, and demonstrate that she was just as comfortable with the short form as she was with the full-length novel. Sayers' delight in wordplay, and in sometimes grim conundra, are all in evidence in this volume, which to my mind represent the detective story in its highest form. If you've never read Sayers, either begin with Whose Body? and work your way forward, or start with this volume, and then go wherever your whimsey takes you.

Full review here: https://bibliomaneblog.wordpress.com/2015/10/20/lord-peter-by-dorothy-l-sayers-a-review/ ( )
  Bill_Bibliomane | Dec 27, 2013 |

Dorothy L. Sayersprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bentley, E. C.Contributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goldberg, CarinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heilbrun, CarolynContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Michal, MarieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Contains

Lord Peter Views the Body by Dorothy L. Sayers

The Abominable History of the Man with Copper Fingers [Short story] by Dorothy L. Sayers (indirect)

The Fantastic Horror of the Cat in the Bag [Short story] by Dorothy L. Sayers (indirect)

The Unprincipled Affair of the Practical Joker [Short story] by Dorothy L. Sayers (indirect)

The Piscatorial Farce of the Stolen Stomach [short story] by Dorothy L. Sayers (indirect)

The Vindictive Story of the Footsteps That Ran [short story] by Dorothy L. Sayers (indirect)

Lord Peter is a collection of all the Lord Peter Wimsey *short* stories.

One of the founding mothers of mystery, Dorothy Sayers first introduced the popular character Lord Peter Wimsey in 1923 with the publication of Whose Body? Over the next twenty years, more novels and short stories about the aristocratic amateur sleuth appeared, each one as cunningly written as the next.Now in single volume, here are all the Lord Peter Wimsey stories, a treasure for any mystery lover. From "The Fantastic Horror of the Cat in the Bag" to "The Image in the Mirror" and "Talboys," this collection is Lord Peter at his best -- and a true testament to the art of detective fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:29 -0400)

Gathers together in one volume all of the tales which depict the adventures of this celebrated British detective.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,918,219 books! | Top bar: Always visible