Lord Peter by Dorothy L. Sayers

Lord Peter (edition 1995)

by Dorothy L. Sayers

Member:jamespurcell
Title:Lord Peter
Authors:Dorothy L. Sayers
Info:HarperTorch (1995), Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages
Tags:Fiction, Mystery, Classic, Lord Peter Wimsey, Omnibus

Lord Peter : The Complete Lord Peter Wimsey Stories by Dorothy L. Sayers

I haven't read this collection from cover to cover since I was sixteen or seventeen, although I've definitely read through pieces of it since then, this is the first time that I've read the whole thing in a long time, including the self-serving essay by some long-forgotten academic, and EC Bentley's parody "Greedy Night", which satirizes, rather effectively, Sayers' highly literary style of story-telling. Some great stories in the collection, including "The Abominable History of the Man with the Copper Fingers", "The Piscatorial Farce of the Stolen Stomach", "The Entertaining Episode of the Article in Question" (featuring a solution based on a thorough knowledge of French), "The Adventurous Exploit of the Cave of Ali Baba", and "The Incredible Elopement of Lord Peter Wimsey", among others. Of course, "The Haunted Policeman" and "Talboys", two post-Harriet stories, are welcome additions here. Really, the whole collection is solid, even including some of the weaker stories - Sayers at her weakest is still better than some writers at their strongest. 5 / 5 stars. ( )
  Bill_Bibliomane | Dec 27, 2013 |
I loved these short stories. All of them were clever, though some were more remarkable than others. Peter's faking of his own death for two whole years to get a group of criminals was a weird touch, though I enjoyed the story.

My favourites were the last two -- yay, children! And especially, yay Cuthbert! I loved the last line of the last story best of all: "Bunter, find Master Bredon's snake for him and return it carefully to the furnace-room. It answers to the name of Cuthbert."

One thing I did wish for was Bunter's reactions to Peter's sons. That would have been wonderful.

Anyway, clever and entertaining, and surprisingly easy to read. I spent an hour with them this evening that felt like fifteen minutes. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Nothing like spending the weekend in the company of Lord Peter Wimsey. Unfortunately, now I must move on to other things. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Mar 30, 2013 |
A compilation of all the short stories to feature Peter Wimsey, all of which are available in other collections, all of which – I think – we have, but this is a convenient way to read them all together. As is often the case with short stories, the quality is variable. Some are excellent, some average, one or two … not so good. The ones that stick in my mind from my childhood are the more gruesome of the bunch: the man who turned his girlfriend into an Art Deco sofa, the man who withdrew his wife’s thyroid medicine and turned her into a drooling imbecile for nine months of the year, the man who used his dentistry skills to fake his own death. Others, such as the, frankly preposterous, story where Wimsey fakes his own death in order to go undercover in a gang of jewel thieves for two years, I had completely forgotten, and will almost certainly soon forget again. ( )
  phoebesmum | Mar 5, 2012 |
This is a collection of all the Lord Peter Wimsey short stories Dorothy Sayers wrote. Like any short story collection, some are better than others. I'm not usually a fan of short stories because, in my opinion, there's not enough room for character or plot development. Character development is less of an issue in this collection, because we know so much about Peter from the novels. Overall, these stories are really quite good, and some are very creative. Others merely reuse plots that have been used by practically every mystery writer since the invention of the genre. ( )
  casvelyn | Jul 30, 2011 |

Dorothy L. Sayersprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bentley, E. C.Contributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goldberg, CarinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heilbrun, CarolynContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Michal, MarieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Contains

Lord Peter Views the Body by Dorothy L. Sayers

The Abominable History of the Man with Copper Fingers [Short story] by Dorothy L. Sayers (indirect)

The Fantastic Horror of the Cat in the Bag [Short story] by Dorothy L. Sayers (indirect)

The Unprincipled Affair of the Practical Joker [Short story] by Dorothy L. Sayers (indirect)

The Piscatorial Farce of the Stolen Stomach [Short Story] by Dorothy L. Sayers (indirect)

The Vindictive Story of the Footsteps That Ran [short story] by Dorothy L. Sayers (indirect)

Lord Peter is a collection of all the Lord Peter Wimsey *short* stories.

One of the founding mothers of mystery, Dorothy Sayers first introduced the popular character Lord Peter Wimsey in 1923 with the publication of Whose Body? Over the next twenty years, more novels and short stories about the aristocratic amateur sleuth appeared, each one as cunningly written as the next.Now in single volume, here are all the Lord Peter Wimsey stories, a treasure for any mystery lover. From "The Fantastic Horror of the Cat in the Bag" to "The Image in the Mirror" and "Talboys," this collection is Lord Peter at his best -- and a true testament to the art of detective fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:40 -0400)

Gathers together in one volume all of the tales which depict the adventures of this celebrated British detective.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,490,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible