Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans

Madeline (original 1939; edition 2000)

by Ludwig Bemelmans

Series: Madeline (1)

Member:janimar
Title:Madeline
Authors:Ludwig Bemelmans
Info:Viking Juvenile (2000), Paperback, 48 pages
Tags:picture book

Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans (1939)

As I was reading I could see the movie I grew up with play along with me. I had to stop myself from recalling exactly what would happen next. Once I was able to slow down and enjoy this experience of this story I fell in love. The style of the illustrations was beautiful, for the most part, there was only black, white, and yellow used. I think the lack of colors helped push this book into receiving the Caldecott award. ( )
  Payton02 | May 1, 2019 |
This cute story is about a different life style of a little girl who is growing up in an orphanage in France. It takes you through her daily routines with other girls, and some of her experiences. The climax of this book is when Madeline ends up in the hospital because of an illness, but her friends are there through it all. ( )
  enemory | Nov 26, 2018 |
This book I truly never read when I was younger and never really planned on reading it. However, my youngest sister loved this series of book of Madeline. It was in all-time favorite of hers and still might be a top favorite of hers. This book is about a little girl named Madeline who lives in Paris and attends a boarding school. Though one night she becomes very ill and Miss Clavel rushes Madeline to the doctor. She was diagnosed with having appendicitis and I know that is not fun because I had to get surgery and have my appendix removed. The book has simple and rhyming sentences for beginning readers, a straight forward plot, and a clear beginning middle and end. The vivid illustrations will draw children in and allow them to see themselves as one of the little girls in Paris and empathize with Madeline. I think this book is more for upper elementary school girls who like to read and this was not interesting to me but I knew it would be a good read for others. An assignment to follow this book for a class could be a book report. ( )
  RyanMurphy1 | Nov 20, 2018 |
5 stars
  kaetlynsandoval | Nov 6, 2018 |
Precious. I'd never read it until yesterday but man I loved her spunkiness. ( )
  ktshpd | Oct 22, 2018 |
In an old house in Paris that was covered in vines lived twelve little girls in two straight lines.

Bemelmans' rhythmic rhymes make this book a great one for a readaloud with preschoolers or primary-age children. The story is suspenseful enough to be interesting, but not too scary; the illustrations (mainly in tones of yellow) not only support the story, but also offer a view of Paris. A list at the end of the book identifies the Paris locations that are illustrated.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014056439X, Paperback)

No child could resist this adorable, 9-inch-tall, rag-doll-soft Madeline--complete with appendix-removal scar! This Parisian schoolgirl sports a jaunty felt hat with a trailing black ribbon, perfect for the mischievous redhead who is not afraid of mice and pooh-poohs the tiger at the zoo. Her blue sailor dress is removable for frequent scar viewing! Each doll comes in a big, splashy gift box (12 inches by 12 inches by 4 inches) with one unabridged paperback edition of Ludwig Bemelmans's original Madeline ("and that's all there is--there isn't any more"). (Ages 3 and older)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:43 -0400)

Madeline, smallest and naughtiest of the twelve little charges of Miss Clavel, wakes up one night with an attack of appendicitis.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,780,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible