The Nutcracker by Susan Jeffers

The Nutcracker

by Susan Jeffers

219653,142 (3.85)4

The Nutcracker wrote by Susan Jeffers is a beautiful book for a child to read. This book is under the fantasy and fairytale genre. I enjoyed the book because I was a ballerina growing up. The book is made up of elaborate illustrations and simple text. The text and the pictures enhance each other by not saying everything that is shown. The book focuses on a little girl who receives a nutcracker at Christmas time, but it wasn't a typical nutcracker. I also love the Barbie movie that was made of this book. ( )
  katelynr97 | Apr 9, 2018 |
The Nutcracker is a classic fairy tale about a little girl who is given a Nutcracker for Christmas by her magical godfather. This is no ordinary Nutcracker, however. This Nutcracker was once a handsome prince who was put under an enchantment. The little girl breaks the enchantment by saving him in battle and the Prince takes her to his homeland where they enjoy a lovely ball and feast. Unfortunately, the night must end and the young girl must go home where her Nutcracker is still her simple Nutcracker. Once she expresses her love for the Prince to her Uncle, he breaks the spell permanently and the Prince and little girl grow up and live happily ever after.

When I was little and living in Massachusetts, my parents would take me into Boston to see the Nutcracker live. Honestly, this story was meant to be a ballet. The music and dancing all felt magical when seeing it live. That's why I particularly like this picture book version. Although many versions exist, very few incorporate the ballet. This one does so beautifully. ( )
  Jacki_H | Sep 23, 2016 |
4 1/2 - A timely read as we are taking O to see the Nutcracker this weekend. Nicely illustrated. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
Susan Jeffers story, “The Nutcracker” is an excellent example of the traditional ballet for young children. I enjoyed reading this story because of the simple text and luminous illustrations. The writing itself was short and to the point, thus providing a great introduction for children to understand. However, the pictures were large, taking up the whole page, and included much detail. The illustrations were created with light, subtle colors, clearly depicting the classical and elegant drama. The pictures allowed the reader to understand the characters through their emotions. Take Marie for example. She was radiant, blushing and smiling, when she first received the wooden Nutcracker, but fearful when her brother threw him in the air. I think the big idea of this story is to provide an understanding of the famous ballet to young children, while staying true to the ballet, and encouraging children’s imagination and dreams. ( )
  Ebutzn1 | Oct 24, 2014 |
Susan Jeffer's adaptation of The Nutcracker is truly extraordinary, and I loved it. The main idea of this story is that you can and should let your imagination run wild! Fantasy worlds are just beyond reach, within our own minds. One reason I love this book is because of the large illustrations and limited text. Even though there isn't much written on each page, the pictures are extremely large and elaborate, and therefore tell more than the text does. For example, in the first pages when they're showing the family getting read for the party, they show the house like a dollhouse, showing the attic and kitchens and adjoining rooms. I really like that even though the text doesn't say the specifics of what's going on in the house, you can look at all of the little pictures of the rooms and explore what people are doing to get ready for the party. I also like this book because of the detail of emotion in the illustrated characters' faces. Again, because of limited text, the elaborate drawings of people's faces (such as Clara's and Herr Drosselmeier's) show how they are feeling, and allow the reader to relate. ( )
  bphill5 | Nov 25, 2013 |

New York Times bestselling artist Susan Jeffers has created a Nutcracker unlike any that has gone before, with a lovely spare text based on the ballet.

This is the perfect gift to share with children before they see The Nutcracker. Everyone who has seen the ballet will cherish it—as will anyone who enjoys stories where love triumphs.

Come, take a front-row seat. The world's most beloved holiday fairy tale is about to begin.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:50 -0400)

An abridged version of the story of Marie Stahlbaum, who helps break the spell on her toy nutcracker and watches him change into a handsome prince.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,534,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible