The Dark is Rising (The Dark is Rising…

The Dark is Rising (The Dark is Rising Sequence) (original 1973; edition 1999)

by Susan Cooper

5,859178717 (4.14)1 / 560
Member:jglass
Title:The Dark is Rising (The Dark is Rising Sequence)
Authors:Susan Cooper
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (1999), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 232 pages

The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (1973)

The Owl Service by Alan Garner (klarusu)
    klarusu: Similar atmosphere - dark Welsh mythology and a teenage protagonist in The Owl Service
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (MyriadBooks)
    The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman (LKAYC)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Both books have beautifully written prose, elegantly sketched worlds, and stories that stay with you long after you've finished. Two young protagonists must face overwhelming dark forces as they struggle with isolation from their peers and allies.… (more)
    The Silver Crown by Robert C. O'Brien (ncgraham)
    A String in the Harp by Nancy Bond (Sakerfalcon)
    Sakerfalcon: Both books vividly depict the merging of past and present, and have a strong sense of place and of local folklore.
    Advent: A Novel by James Treadwell (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar style of writing and atmosphere.
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (Anjali.Negi)
    The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff (infiniteletters)
    Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay (Yarrow)
    The Forgotten Door by Alexander Key (infiniteletters)
    The Box of Delights by John Masefield (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although The Box of Delights was written in 1935 and The Dark is Rising was written in the 1970s, both books have a similar sense of magic, mystery and menace running through them. Both are part of series but can be read without having read the earlier books in the series.… (more)
    Tamsin by Peter S. Beagle (questionablepotato)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (Nikkles)

English (174)  French (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (178)
Yup. Still good. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Ooh, mysterious finish and good lead-in if I were to read other books in the series. It was good, but I think I'm going to have to leave these be. It wasn't interesting enough. ( )
  knotbox | Jun 10, 2016 |
This is a solid, suspenseful follow-up to the first in the series/sequence. It doesn't relate directly to Over Sea, Under Stone, but there are echoes that lead one to think that the stories will meet up in later books (well, the echoes and the reviews I've read). My kids are loving this series, which is a little surprising given how scary it is. But they like quests and children taking on responsibility beyond their years, and maybe the scary bits enhance those themes.

This one seems darker than the first book. The atmosphere of this one is similar to Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain, although I wonder if that might be because I listened to both on audio and the narrators' voices and accents are somewhat similar.

On to Book #3! ( )
2 vote ImperfectCJ | Jun 1, 2016 |
This was one of the December book club recommendations by Gretchen Rubin and is also one of my sister-in-law's favorite books. It came highly recommended by several people so I was looking forward to reading it. But, I just could not get into it. ( )
  Darwa | Mar 18, 2016 |
I almost gave this 3 stars or lower. I have some serious issues with this book, but SOMEHOW I loved it anyway????

My issues:
1. Merriman and, I suppose, the Old Ones in general. They were so insanely arrogant the entire time, and Merriman in particular had this constant "the ends justifies the means" attitude, and had no problem at all using other people, whether it was 11-year-old Will or his "almost-son" Hawkin. I guess Merriman fits with the legendary Merlin's personality, but eesh.

2. The issue of freewill wasn't exactly addressed, and I guess it was too much to hope for an 11-year-old to have a conversation about it, but the undertones were ALL about freewill. Somehow it's okay for an 11-year-old to find out he has no choice in anything, even while he is defending the freewill of the entire human race. I would have liked to see this developed or addressed more clearly.

3. The ending. Okay, so Will goes through all this madness to get the Signs, and yet what saves them in the end has almost NOTHING to do with the Signs, but instead Herne, this random guy who pops up with his Wild Hunt and chases the bad guys off? WHAT???? Did I miss something? I guess the Signs will probably be very important in future books, but I still thought it was bizarre that the whole book was Will's quest to find the Signs, and yet they really played no part in the end.

Despite those (admittedly big) problems I have with the book, I loved it. I loved Cooper's writing style (although sometimes she almost overdoes it), I LOVED the Stanton family (the sibling interactions were very realistic and all of them felt like real people), I loved the mythological/Arthurian elements (although Loki didn't seem very....Loki-ish. I only knew he was there because I wikipedia-ed the characters), and I loved Hawkin's story.
Hawkin's story was the thing I loved most about this book. I was WAY more invested in his story than Will's, probably because it's a YA book and you know, despite all odds, Will will prevail against the Dark and save the world, SOMEHOW. I was much more worried about whether or not Hawkin was going to be redeemed somehow.
1 vote Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
Susan Cooper meant, I think, to write an entertainment, not much more than that. She has succeeded. "The Dark is Rising" affords thunderous good fun.

Susan Cooperprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cober, Alan E.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, JulieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jennings, AlexNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pekkanen, PanuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rikman, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westrup, Jadwiga P.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jonathan
"Too many!" James shouted, and slammed the door behind him.
When the Dark comes rising, six shall turn it back;
Three from the circle, three from the track;
Wood, bronze, iron; water, fire, stone;
Five will return, and one go alone.

Iron for the birthday, bronze carried long;
Wood from the burning, stone out of song;
Fire in the candle-ring, water from the thaw;
Six Signs the circle, and the grail gone before.

Fire on the mountain shall find the harp of gold
Played to wake the Sleepers, oldest of the old;
Power from the green witch, lost beneath the sea;
All shall find the light at last, silver on the tree.
This LT work, The Dark Is Rising, is Book 2 (of 5 Books) in Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising Sequence. Please distinguish it from other single titles in the series, and from any combination(s) of part or all of the series. Thank you.

AR 6.2, Pts 13
Midwinter terror,
Seventh son of seventh son
Is a young Old One.
(SylviaC)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689710879, Mass Market Paperback)

"When the Dark comes rising, six shall turn it back,
Three from the circle, three from the track;
Wood, bronze, iron; water, fire, stone;
Five will return, and one go alone."
With these mysterious words, Will Stanton discovers on his 11th birthday that he is no mere boy. He is the Sign-Seeker, last of the immortal Old Ones, destined to battle the powers of evil that trouble the land. His task is monumental: he must find and guard the six great Signs of the Light, which, when joined, will create a force strong enough to match and perhaps overcome that of the Dark. Embarking on this endeavor is dangerous as well as deeply rewarding; Will must work within a continuum of time and space much broader than he ever imagined.

Susan Cooper, in her five-title Dark Is Rising sequence, creates a world where the conflict between good and evil reaches epic proportions. She ranks with C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien in her ability to deliver a moral vision in the context of breathtaking adventure. No one can stop at just one of her thrilling fantasy novels. Among many other prestigious awards, The Dark Is Rising is a Newbery Honor Book and a Carnegie Medal Honor Book. (Ages 8 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:32 -0400)

"A Margaret K. McElderry Book."

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,106,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible