The Dark is Rising (The Dark is Rising…

The Dark is Rising (The Dark is Rising Sequence) (original 1973; edition 1999)

by Susan Cooper

5,526164785 (4.14)1 / 532
Member:jglass
Title:The Dark is Rising (The Dark is Rising Sequence)
Authors:Susan Cooper
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (1999), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 232 pages

The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (1973)

The Owl Service by Alan Garner (klarusu)
    klarusu: Similar atmosphere - dark Welsh mythology and a teenage protagonist in The Owl Service
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (MyriadBooks)
    The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman (LKAYC)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Both books have beautifully written prose, elegantly sketched worlds, and stories that stay with you long after you've finished. Two young protagonists must face overwhelming dark forces as they struggle with isolation from their peers and allies.… (more)
    The Silver Crown by Robert C. O'Brien (ncgraham)
    A String in the Harp by Nancy Bond (Sakerfalcon)
    Sakerfalcon: Both books vividly depict the merging of past and present, and have a strong sense of place and of local folklore.
    The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff (infiniteletters)
    Advent: A Novel by James Treadwell (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar style of writing and atmosphere.
    Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay (Yarrow)
    Tamsin by Peter S. Beagle (questionablepotato)
    The Forgotten Door by Alexander Key (infiniteletters)
    The Box of Delights by John Masefield (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although The Box of Delights was written in 1935 and The Dark is Rising was written in the 1970s, both books have a similar sense of magic, mystery and menace running through them. Both are part of series but can be read without having read the earlier books in the series.… (more)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (Nikkles)

English (160)  French (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (164)
I’m not sure how I missed this while growing up – I devoured children’s books weaving together ancient myths with contemporary life. Will turns 11 just before Christmas, and learns he’s one of the Old Ones. He has to balance his apparent status as a child with his aspect as a magical being coming into his power, protecting his family, village and the world against the Dark. Magical doorways link present to past, English myths to wider heritages. Hern the Hunter’s head is a Caribbean carnival mask; the protective Old Ones come from all cultures. The writing ranges from scarily sinister to great beauty. There’s a brilliant passage where a maleficent flourish gloriously results in a magnificently perfect ship burial. ( )
  Bernadette877 | Jul 4, 2015 |
I loved this all over again on rereading, but realized that what stuck with me so hard from childhood wasn't the action (which was actually minimal in a lot of the book) or the characters or the plot, but the visuals. They're really strong, and the book itself is full of these very cinematic sequences, brain-searing sequences. I heard there was a film version made and it was awful, which is a shame—the right filmmaker could have done super things with it. Maybe as an animated film, or something with really good CGI.

Anyway, it was still visually resonant, still a good comfort read. More, elsewhere, soon. ( )
  lisapeet | Jun 25, 2015 |
Ages thirteen through fifteen are awful years, both to be and to be around … arrogant and self-centered, yet exuberantly idealistic; excited to explore rationality, yet superstitious to the bone; a compulsion to be social, while also cruel and misanthropic. The one benefit of that miserable time is its ability to read, to inhabit, to own romantic adventure. I wanted to be thirteen again … crazy wish! … as I read Susan Cooper’s fantasy. I longed to rid my brain of adultness, to suspend disbelief in what I have come to accept is reality and revel in melodrama. At several points I almost succeeded … at least enough to enjoy the story.

From page 149, when Will, well-mannered boy, suddenly channels a supernatural identity and talks back to the rector:
“‘There’s not really any before and after, is there?’ [Will] said. ‘Everything that matters is outside Time. And comes from there and can go there.’
“Mr. Beaumont turned to him in surprise. ‘You mean infinity, of course, my boy.’
“‘Not altogether,’ said the Old One that was Will. ‘I mean the part of all of us, and of all the things we think and believe, that has nothing to do with yesterday or today or tomorrow because it belongs at a different kind of level. Yesterday is still there, on that level. Tomorrow is there too. You can visit either of them. And all Gods are there, and all the things they have ever stood for. And,’ he added sadly, ‘the opposite, too.’
“‘Will,’ said the rector, staring at him, ‘I am not sure whether you should be exorcised or ordained. You and I must have some long talks, very soon.’”
  maryoverton | Jun 14, 2015 |
Classic YA/children's novel of kids getting involved in the eternal struggle between good and evil, order and chaos. Some really memorable imagery -- the encroaching cold, the birds -- and appealingly non-didactic prose make this one something I'll recommend to the next generation. ( )
  lquilter | Feb 16, 2015 |
On his 11th birthday, Will Stanton finds out he is one of the Old Ones, a guardian of The Light, and is charged with collecting the Circle of Signs to ward off the forces of The Dark. This is much more in line with what I had expected from this series (the first book didn't quite measure up) and I very much enjoyed all the spins on mythology and history. It is a young adult novel, but the baddies are scary enough for grown-ups and all characters are well-rounded and easy to get invested in. The reader of the audio version is also very good and I will be listening to the rest of the series to see what happens with both characters and plot. ( )
  -Eva- | Jan 10, 2015 |
Susan Cooper meant, I think, to write an entertainment, not much more than that. She has succeeded. "The Dark is Rising" affords thunderous good fun.

Susan Cooperprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cober, Alan E.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jennings, AlexNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pekkanen, PanuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rikman, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westrup, Jadwiga P.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jonathan
"Too many!" James shouted, and slammed the door behind him.
When the Dark comes rising, six shall turn it back;
Three from the circle, three from the track;
Wood, bronze, iron; water, fire, stone;
Five will return, and one go alone.

Iron for the birthday, bronze carried long;
Wood from the burning, stone out of song;
Fire in the candle-ring, water from the thaw;
Six Signs the circle, and the grail gone before.

Fire on the mountain shall find the harp of gold
Played to wake the Sleepers, oldest of the old;
Power from the green witch, lost beneath the sea;
All shall find the light at last, silver on the tree.
This LT work, The Dark Is Rising, is Book 2 (of 5 Books) in Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising Sequence. Please distinguish it from other single titles in the series, and from any combination(s) of part or all of the series. Thank you.

AR 6.2, Pts 13
Midwinter terror,
Seventh son of seventh son
Is a young Old One.
(SylviaC)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689710879, Mass Market Paperback)

"When the Dark comes rising, six shall turn it back,
Three from the circle, three from the track;
Wood, bronze, iron; water, fire, stone;
Five will return, and one go alone."
With these mysterious words, Will Stanton discovers on his 11th birthday that he is no mere boy. He is the Sign-Seeker, last of the immortal Old Ones, destined to battle the powers of evil that trouble the land. His task is monumental: he must find and guard the six great Signs of the Light, which, when joined, will create a force strong enough to match and perhaps overcome that of the Dark. Embarking on this endeavor is dangerous as well as deeply rewarding; Will must work within a continuum of time and space much broader than he ever imagined.

Susan Cooper, in her five-title Dark Is Rising sequence, creates a world where the conflict between good and evil reaches epic proportions. She ranks with C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien in her ability to deliver a moral vision in the context of breathtaking adventure. No one can stop at just one of her thrilling fantasy novels. Among many other prestigious awards, The Dark Is Rising is a Newbery Honor Book and a Carnegie Medal Honor Book. (Ages 8 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:32 -0400)

"A Margaret K. McElderry Book."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,961,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible