The Fade (Gollancz S.F.) by Chris Wooding

The Fade (Gollancz S.F.) (edition 2007)

by Chris Wooding

A subterranean world of vast caverns, underground seas, crystalline forests. A civilisation born of darkness, in darkness, protected by shadows. A city of merchants, whose eyes have turned upward to the surface, where the lethal light of day beats down on their world. A conspiracy so vast that it will swallow them all ... A stunningly original fantasy from a multi-award winning author. With a beautiful baroque world, sharp characterisation and Chris Wooding's trademark insight into the fantasy genre, the dawning of Halflight is an event more than worth waiting for.… (more)
Member:othersam
Title:The Fade (Gollancz S.F.)
Authors:Chris Wooding
Info:Gollancz (2007), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****

The Fade (GollanczF.) by Chris Wooding

This isn't the type of book I'd usually read, so I wasn't sure what to expect from it. I liked the description of it, and it sounded quite promising. It turned out to be okay. It wasn't great but it wasn't bad either. I really enjoyed reading about the difference between all the tribes, both underground and aboveground. Oran had a very distinct voice which made her feel very real. Unfortunately, I didn't find the book all that engaging. It moved pretty slow and I thought the chapters counting down for the present, and up for the future, was more gimmicky than effective and useful to the plot. It was an okay book but not very memorable. ( )
  nicola26 | Mar 30, 2013 |
Wooding has never failed to deliver a totally fresh and always intriguing world in each new book! No wonder I love this author! Not his best book but still worth reading and better than most other others in the genre. ( )
  PitcherBooks | Mar 4, 2013 |
Borrowing heavily from many tropes and putting them together into an underground setting with two races at war this is a standard tale told competently. I fail to see the need for the structure in which the tale moves in both directions chronologically telling the story of the protagonist from when we meet her. It felt awkward and unsubtle. The twist at the end was obvious. A solid OK for this one. ( )
  furriebarry | Nov 30, 2008 |
Chris Wooding is simply one of the best fantastical action thriller writers around: as soon as this came out I pounced on it with great glee and let me tell you, I wasn’t disappointed. The Fade has echoes of classic old-school prison-break stories like Papillon or even The Great Escape. But the book’s fantasy setting and hard-as-nails female assassin narrator make it something else again. Fast, fresh and very, VERY cool, this will grab you from page one and never let you go. ( )
  othersam | Jun 18, 2008 |
His knee breaks sideways beneath my foot, but I've clutched his head and cracked his neck before he really registers the pain.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,720,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible