Remake by Connie Willis

Remake (1995)

by Connie Willis

Recently added byprivate library, dClauzel, Fizzle42, wpwhite, ehines, madrockriss, snakelet, shsilver
American Author (3) dancing (2) ebook (2) fantasy (16) fiction (75) film (5) Hollywood (18) Hugo Nominee (4) humor (6) limited (3) mmpb (4) movies (24) near future (5) novel (6) own (4) paperback (6) read (12) romance (3) science fiction (146) sf (44) sff (18) short stories (3) signed (9) speculative fiction (6) time travel (5) to-read (7) unowned (2) unread (3) USA (2) wishlist (4)

English (17)  Catalan (1)  All languages (18)
In Hollywood of the future, new movies are composed from recycled bits of old movies, with “faces” of aspiring actors and actresses digitally pasted in. Tom makes a living editing old movie content to order: inserting his boss’s girlfriend-du-jour, purging references to AS (addictive substances). At a party, he meets Alis, who wants to dance in musicals. She doesn’t want her face pasted in, she wants to dance for real. Frustrated by his incomprehension, she disappears. And then, as he is editing a movie, he notices her in the chorus line... How did she get there?

The fun of this was the commentary about musicals, Fred Astaire vs. Gene Kelly, etc., which I’ll suppose echoes the author’s opinions, and the amusing struggle to retain a coherent story in classic movies when the alcohol is removed (though in a future of ubiquitous AS in the form of pills, this task doesn’t quite make sense). Short and light, and that’s about the extent of it.

(read 16 Nov 2013)
  qebo | Dec 1, 2013 |
This book explores a future Hollywood where there are no longer any new actors or new stories - they just keep remaking old movies by using computer graphics to stick in a different cast (Back to the Future, starring River Phoenix). It also explores a futuristic drug culture, and the possibility of time travel.

All in all, this was a fun and light read, and I always enjoy Connie Willis's writing. However, if you haven't watched a lot of old movies (especially Fred Astaire movies) a lot of the references will be lost. Clearly Connie Willis is a big movie buff with an encyclopedic knowledge of old movies. She will often describe a moment or a characters reaction by likening it to a moment in a movie, which, if you know the moment she is referring to, is wonderfully effective... but of course, if you don't catch the reference, it can be confusing. ( )
  Gwendydd | Sep 8, 2013 |
This book did not work for me. Me, before: "why haven't I read this?" Me, after: "...sputter... No one would ever design to work like that, that's just insane and un-possible." Might be a good book if you are unfazed by such concerns, or not, I'm not able to make counterfactual judgements right now. ( )
  sprite | Aug 7, 2013 |
I continue to be far more impressed by the time travel books than anything else Willis has written. This had an interesting concept, but I had major problems with the narrator (as in, I wanted to smack him most of the time). [June 2011] ( )
  maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |
Kind of cute story, but I found it boring. I love Willis' Oxford Time Travel universe, but the rest of her work seems to be hit and miss for me. I'm in awe of the research she does for her work, and that's probably the most enjoyable part of this story for me.

I liked the linguistic shifts for this near-future world, and the film references worked into the narrative, but the story itself didn't go anywhere for me. ( )
  JetSilver | Mar 31, 2013 |

Connie Willisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Not much is impossible."
--Steve Williams
Industrial Light and Magic
"The girl seems to have talent but the boy can do nothing."
--Vaudeville booking report on Fred Astaire
To Fred Astaire
I saw her again tonight.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553574418, Mass Market Paperback)

In the Hollywood of the future there's no need for actors since any star can be digitally recreated and inserted into any movie. Yet young Alis wants to dance on the silver screen. Tom tries to dissuade her, but he fears she will pursue her dream--and likely fall victim to Hollywood's seamy underside, which is all to eager to swallow up naive actresses. Then Tom begins to find Alis in the old musicals he remakes, and he has to ask himself just where the line stands between reality and the movies.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:43 -0400)

The setting is a futuristic Hollywood where movie- making has been computerized and live-action films are a thing of the past. Enter Alis who wants to dance in the movies. Tom offers to digitize her face onto any actress she likes, but Alis is not interested in fake dancing, she is after the real thing and if Tom wants her, he has to deliver. By the author of Doomsday Book.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,462,705 books! | Top bar: Always visible