Sheepfarmer's Daughter (Deed of…

Sheepfarmer's Daughter (Deed of Paksenarrion, Book 1) (edition 1988)

by Elizabeth Moon

1,161326,993 (4)82
Member:esunder100
Title:Sheepfarmer's Daughter (Deed of Paksenarrion, Book 1)
Authors:Elizabeth Moon
Info:Baen (1988), Paperback

Sheepfarmer's Daughter by Elizabeth Moon

English (29)  Swedish (3)  All (32)
A pretty good example of the 80s/90s fantasy trend for gritty realism in the lives of ordinary soldiers - this is very much a military fantasy, focused on the minutiae of training, fighting, and surviving. Unfortunately, I hate those details. I always skip over them in other books, but that's basically the whole book here. There are some interesting flashes of worldbuilding here and there (though I suspect there's not much more to it than the standard D&D manual), but there's a lot of fighting to go through to get there.

I read this because it'd been recommended to me many times as one of the few examples of an asexual main character in fiction. I was a little leery, because someone had also mentioned a sexual assault, but that's not used as motivation - Paks explains, after she's been assaulted by another soldier, that she didn't want to sleep with him, she didn't want to sleep with anyone, he just wouldn't let it go. She is a pretty great asexual character. I wish I liked the book more. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Apr 15, 2017 |
Not your typical fantasy. There's barely any magic and no grand battles with millions of soldiers. But the foundation of ordinary serves to highlight the extraordinary.

It's not without its flaws, but overall this was one of the most interesting fantasy books I've read. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
This isn't a flashy, magic filled, fantasy trilogy (though you do get elves and paladins and whatnot). This is mainly a young woman's story about following her dreams to live her life as she wants to live it. There are hardships and there are moments of glory. You learn with her that war is not the glorious thing she has pictured, but harsh and bloody. You watch as she loses friends and sees that evil does not need magic to strike, but that men and women can do great evil by themselves.

The trilogy is wonderfully done and you are glad to follow her on the ups and downs of her journey. I only wish I had known about Elizabeth Moon sooner. ( )
  Half-elf28 | Jun 1, 2016 |
FIVE STARS! I don't rate that often and this book deserves it. Paksenarrion is one tough, lucky, and honorable character. She reminds me of Disney's Mulan - she ran away from home and joined the army - although she left because her father was trying to marry her off to a pig farmer. I would have run too. She also reminds me of Tamora Pierce's Alanna, who left home as well, fought great evil, and was helped along the way by the gods. Paksenarrion was helped by the gods, or saints- not sure which, we haven't found that out yet- but I believe that big things are in store for her and her first three years as a mercenary will be nothing compared to what she will endure next. Meanwhile she works for an honest company, has good friends, and an ideal to be better than she is now. Paks is someone to look up to. I don't believe I could do as she does but if given the situation does come upon me to do something similar I hope I can do the right thing. ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
I think I'd have liked this if I read it when I was young. When I did read it, with hundreds of fantasy books already under my belt, it seemed too derivative and without much flavor. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

Elizabeth Moonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davies, KevinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holmberg, John-HenriTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lockwood, ToddCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Dyck, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In a sheepfarmer's low stone house, high in the hills above Three Firs, two swords hang now above the mantelpiece. - Prologue
"And I say you will!" bellowed the burly sheepfarmer, Dorthan Kanasson. - Chapter 1

Paksenarrion--Paks, for short--refuses her father's orders to marry the pig farmer down the road and is off to join the army. And so her adventure begins--the adventure that transforms her into a hero remembered in songs, chosen by the gods to restore a lost ruler to his throne.

Paksenarrion, a simple sheepfarmer's daughter, yearns for a life of adventure and glory, such as was known to heroes in songs and story. At age seventeen she runs away from home to join a mercenary company and begins her epic life. In book one, Paks is trained as a mercenary, blooded, and introduced to the life of a soldier, and to the followers of Gird, the soldier's god.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,341,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible