Smoke and Shadows by Tanya Huff

Smoke and Shadows (2004)

by Tanya Huff

Series: The Smoke Trilogy (Book 1), Henry Fitzroy (6)

Recently added bycindywho, lynncawi, Ron_L, islieod, ecmross, private library, DennisSanDiego, lauraleigh, MooreReader

I'd enjoyed her vampire detective stories and this is a spin-off with some of the same characters. Dorky but fun. Yay fluff! (August 24, 2004) ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
I never cared much for Tony in the previous series (Blood Series). I didn't dislike him, but just didn't pay much mind to the minor character. I was curious how it would be pulled off making him the primary protagonist, and as a character it turns out I enjoy him more now. His older street jargon has been replaced with more proper speech - we're informed this has been encouraged by Henry "offstage." My favorite parts really involved Henry, as I always loved the character. Tony isn't as exciting as the previous Vicky (who got on my nerves much of the time for her attitude) or the adorably lovable Celucci.

The Shadowlord, an intriguing and unique enough villain, is well-written. It's not every day you read a book focused on living shadows that are part of a larger being. The story itself is a good one but the pacing is too slow for some areas; as an example, when emphasis is placed on Tony's day-to-day interactions on the stage set, none of this interested me and I kept gliding through passages where he chats with co-workers. Being boring is a book or movie's greatest sin, and while Smoke and Shadows never committed this crime exactly, it was sadly close some of the time.

Henry comes back and is as great as ever, I love the whole possessive type angle, but I found the whole "hunger" and "seduction" expression vague at best and over-used. There was no tension with these scenes, it was just written, no build-up and no description. This, thankfully, is a minor thing that did not distract me from the otherwise interesting and somewhat unique story that I enjoyed reading. Not a book you would be forced to read through in one sitting, forgoing sleep and other life needs, but a book that still keeps you drawn in just enough to keep wanting to reach the end line.

The negatives (and pluses) aside, I'm wanting to read more of the series. The ending of the book let loose some intriguing ideas about Tony's character that suddenly makes him more intriguing. I would like, of course, to keep seeing more of Henry and his relationship with Tony for, like the previous series, he is much of the glue that keeps the stories together. I remember being depressed that the Blood Lines series ended, and I'm happy it's been picked up again for a few more rounds, even if it's with a new 'bloodline'. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
I got it from the library and read it in one sitting. Oops. ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
I got it from the library and read it in one sitting. Oops. ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
This is a spinoff of the Blood Ties series, which I never read. Tony, a former hustler who had a relationship with the vampire Henry Fitzroy (yes, the illegitimite child of Henry VIII) has struck out on his own and is now working on a tv show about a vampire detective. Evil hijinks ensue. The characters and dialogue are clunky and the jokes are far from clever, but it's readable. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

Tanya Huffprimary authorall editionscalculated
Palencar,John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Karen Lahey because until I met her I never made the connection that "people" write books. (Where I thought they came from, I have no idea.) Essentially, Karen's responsible for my being a writer so if you've enjoyed any of my books, you should thank her. Thank you, Karen.
Leaning forward, brushing red-gold hair back off his face, he locked eyes with the cowering young woman and smiled, teeth too white within the sardonic curve of his mouth.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0756402638, Mass Market Paperback)

Tony, a former street kid, is now a production assistant on a TV series about a vampire detective. But the special effects wizard is actually a real wizard who's come from another dimension-along with a dangerous foe. And Tony will definitely need the help of vampire Henry Fitzroy if he, his friend-and the world-are going to stand any chance of surviving this invasion.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:49 -0400)

A former ally of private detective Vicki Nelson and vampire Henry Fitzroy, one-time street kid Tony Foster embarks on a new career as a producer of the new syndicated TV series Darkest Night, a show about the adventures of a vampire detective, but lethal dark forces tamper with his success.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,562,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible