Hold Tight by Harlan Coben

Hold Tight (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Harlan Coben

Member:Jenners26
Title:Hold Tight
Authors:Harlan Coben
Info:Dutton Adult (2008), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorite Authors
Rating:***
Tags:thriller

Hold Tight by Harlan Coben (2008)

Marked Man (an Alex Sedaka thriller) by David Kessler (hankreardon)
    hankreardon: Seems to have been renamed "Hello darkness my old friend" for some reason.

English (85)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (91)
There are a lot of characters in this story. Several neighborhood families, intermixed through school, work, etc. It's a story of suicide, murder, drugs, fights and mayhem. It was interesting and a real page turner. A good mystery read!! ( )
  love2cook | Feb 1, 2016 |
A pageturner - as I expected. My second book by Harlan Coben - and not the last, that's for sure.

Harlan Coben mixes various plots in this thriller. A couple decides to spy on their son after the suicide of one of his friends. A killer is on the loose, beating women to death, a teacher's life becomes miserable after he makes an unfair remark towards a girl in class, leading to mobbing from her classmates.
The author did a good job portraying the kids and teens. They were believable, their problems were understandable. The ethical question if it is ok to spy on your children in order to keep them out of trouble was especially interesting - and the author offers no easy solution, just food for thoughts.
I did not like the plot concerning the killer that much. I found that part of the book a little exaggerated - that's the reason why I give four instead of five stars. ( )
  Ellemir | Feb 1, 2016 |
Kinda makes you think about trust and what happens when it breaks. ( )
  Stembie3 | Jun 14, 2015 |
I must admit this wasn’t my favorite Coben book; it had too many stories going on all at once that didn’t really connected to each other well sort of but only the fact that they are all happening at the same time. If this had just been the story Spenser’s suicide and what went on with Adam and his parents afterwards it still would have been a good book about when do you spy on your children? Is it right? Should you or shouldn’t you? But then we also have a story of women being killed and a teacher who shames a girl in class that sets off some massive bullying by her peers. All these stories at once was confusing to me.

Scott Brick as always does a great job at narrating; I love the combination of this author and narrator.

This won’t stop me from reading Coben he is one of my favorite Mystery/Thriller writers but this one just wasn’t a favorite.

3 Stars ( )
  susiesharp | Feb 12, 2015 |
I'm a huge fan of Harlan Coben, but at the same time I don't usually enjoy books with too many characters in (short attention span I guess, I lose track...)

I did really enjoy this book though, and found it very interesting. I say 'interesting' because Harlan Coben explores aspects of human nature and behaviour through these characters in a very effective way, while still writing an entertaining and enjoyable story.

I felt the ending tied the various characters and stories together very well, and I was left wondering how on earth Harlan Coben managed to keep track of everybody and the various lies they had told to each other. (As a writer myself, I actually found it amazing that he was able to keep track so effectively and not miss anything!)

There seemed to be less humour in this book than in his other books, although given the fact that parts of the story do get quite dark I guess this isn't all that of a surprise.

Geeky as it sounds, I also liked the references to characters from other Harlan Coben books, specifically the Myron Bolitar series.

I'd definitely recommend this one, even if it'll make you doubt the truth of what other people tell you, forever...!
  AngeloMarcos | Jan 6, 2015 |
In loving memory of my children's four grandparents:

Carl and Corky Coben

Jack and Nancy Armstrong

We miss all of you very much
Marianne nursed her third shot of Cuervo, marveling at her endless capacity to destroy any good in her pathetic life, when the man nest to her shouted, "Listen up, sweetcakes: Creationism and evolution are totally compatible."

#1 bestselling author Harlan Coben asks that provocative and terrifying question with his fifteenth thriller. How much do parents really want to know about their kids?

#1 bestselling author Harlan Coben has become an unstoppable force in suspense fiction. His most recent novel, The Woods, spent more time on the New York Times bestseller list than his previous books and sales reached his highest levels to date. His latest page-turner, which is about just how far parents will go to protect their kids, is destined for the top of every bestseller list.

Tia and Mike Baye never imagined they’d become the type of overprotective parents who spy on their kids. But their sixteen-year-old son Adam has been unusually distant lately, and after the suicide of his classmate Spencer Hill—the latest in a string of issues at school—they can’t help but worry. They install a sophisticated spy program on Adam’s computer, and within days are jolted by a message from an unknown correspondent addressed to their son: “Just stay quiet and all safe.”

Meanwhile, browsing through an online memorial for Spencer put together by his classmates, Betsy Hill is struck by a photo that appears to have been taken on the night of her son’s death . . . and he wasn’t alone. She thinks it is Adam Baye standing just outside the camera’s range; but when Adam goes missing, it soon becomes clear that something deep and sinister has infected their community. For Tia and Mike Baye, the question they must answer is this: When it comes to your kids, is it possible to know too much?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:10 -0400)

Just how far parents will go to protect their kids? When their son Adam is implicated in the death of his classmate, Tia and Mike Baye install a sophisticated spy program on Adam's computer, and within days are jolted by a message from an unknown correspondent.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,234,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible