Hold Tight by Harlan Coben

Hold Tight (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Harlan Coben

Member:Jenners26
Title:Hold Tight
Authors:Harlan Coben
Info:Dutton Adult (2008), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorite Authors
Rating:***
Tags:thriller

Hold Tight by Harlan Coben (2008)

Recently added byjlsimon7, tdashoff, pelo.guy, andy_t25, kadyo, brigittedk, private library, Caitlion, trayceetee
    Marked Man (an Alex Sedaka thriller) by David Kessler (hankreardon)
    hankreardon: Seems to have been renamed "Hello darkness my old friend" for some reason.

English (82)  Dutch (3)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (87)
I must admit this wasn’t my favorite Coben book; it had too many stories going on all at once that didn’t really connected to each other well sort of but only the fact that they are all happening at the same time. If this had just been the story Spenser’s suicide and what went on with Adam and his parents afterwards it still would have been a good book about when do you spy on your children? Is it right? Should you or shouldn’t you? But then we also have a story of women being killed and a teacher who shames a girl in class that sets off some massive bullying by her peers. All these stories at once was confusing to me.

Scott Brick as always does a great job at narrating; I love the combination of this author and narrator.

This won’t stop me from reading Coben he is one of my favorite Mystery/Thriller writers but this one just wasn’t a favorite.

3 Stars ( )
  susiesharp | Feb 12, 2015 |
I'm a huge fan of Harlan Coben, but at the same time I don't usually enjoy books with too many characters in (short attention span I guess, I lose track...)

I did really enjoy this book though, and found it very interesting. I say 'interesting' because Harlan Coben explores aspects of human nature and behaviour through these characters in a very effective way, while still writing an entertaining and enjoyable story.

I felt the ending tied the various characters and stories together very well, and I was left wondering how on earth Harlan Coben managed to keep track of everybody and the various lies they had told to each other. (As a writer myself, I actually found it amazing that he was able to keep track so effectively and not miss anything!)

There seemed to be less humour in this book than in his other books, although given the fact that parts of the story do get quite dark I guess this isn't all that of a surprise.

Geeky as it sounds, I also liked the references to characters from other Harlan Coben books, specifically the Myron Bolitar series.

I'd definitely recommend this one, even if it'll make you doubt the truth of what other people tell you, forever...!
  AngeloMarcos | Jan 6, 2015 |
This book is a complicated weaving of separate stories into a grand whole. The different groups of people are introduced as completely different stories. Each is full of conflict and tension. Then Coben makes some connections, and you think ‘I know exactly what’s going on’. Then he makes a few more connections and has you turning the page – or sitting and listening – to confirm or deny your suspicions.
This one is pretty gritty, almost noir, but not quite. I like the rawness of the story and the strength of the characters. If you like a mystery that surprises you at the very end, this isn’t for you. Throughout the story, you are carefully led to the right conclusion so that you can enjoy the final scenes as retribution, justice, and hope. ( )
  Perrywilson | May 25, 2014 |
"Almost" funny when you consider that what Coben was writing about in 2008 as just a tiny bit futuristic has been so outdone in today's world of spy technology, etc., etc. ( )
  nyiper | Apr 16, 2014 |

"Hold tight" is, of course, the phrase that every parent uses to a small child in a crowded or disorienting situation: keep a tight hold of my hand and don't stray away. It's also the thing that many parents find it difficult to stop doing when their children are a bit older and want to assert their independence, lead their own lives. This novel is really about both senses of the term. Mike and Tia Baye are concerned for their adolescent son Adam in the wake of the suicide of his best friend Spencer. Convincing themselves the invasion of his privacy is their duty as his parents, they install surveillance software on his computer so they can follow all his internet activities. Meanwhile, Spencer's grieving mother discovers evidence that Adam may know far more than he's prepared to let on about the events leading up to her son's death . . . which may not, in this new light, have been suicide. As a seemingly unconnected backdrop, there's a serial killer terrorizing the neighbourhood.

Of course, this being a Harlan Coben novel, these and other plot strands are not unrelated at all, and the latter part of the book is spent drawing them all together to show how really they're each a part of a single, complex story. There were times, I confess, when I had to focus hard to make sure I was keeping proper track of everything; it was at such times that I mused on the fact that the only movie so far made from his work has been French (Guillaume Canet's 2006 movie Ne le Dis à Personne, based on Coben's novel Tell No One) -- there are few Hollywood concessions to simplisticism in Hold Tight.
  JohnGrant1 | Aug 11, 2013 |
In loving memory of my children's four grandparents:

Carl and Corky Coben

Jack and Nancy Armstrong

We miss all of you very much
Marianne nursed her third shot of Cuervo, marveling at her endless capacity to destroy any good in her pathetic life, when the man nest to her shouted, "Listen up, sweetcakes: Creationism and evolution are totally compatible."

#1 bestselling author Harlan Coben asks that provocative and terrifying question with his fifteenth thriller. How much do parents really want to know about their kids?

#1 bestselling author Harlan Coben has become an unstoppable force in suspense fiction. His most recent novel, The Woods, spent more time on the New York Times bestseller list than his previous books and sales reached his highest levels to date. His latest page-turner, which is about just how far parents will go to protect their kids, is destined for the top of every bestseller list.

Tia and Mike Baye never imagined they’d become the type of overprotective parents who spy on their kids. But their sixteen-year-old son Adam has been unusually distant lately, and after the suicide of his classmate Spencer Hill—the latest in a string of issues at school—they can’t help but worry. They install a sophisticated spy program on Adam’s computer, and within days are jolted by a message from an unknown correspondent addressed to their son: “Just stay quiet and all safe.”

Meanwhile, browsing through an online memorial for Spencer put together by his classmates, Betsy Hill is struck by a photo that appears to have been taken on the night of her son’s death . . . and he wasn’t alone. She thinks it is Adam Baye standing just outside the camera’s range; but when Adam goes missing, it soon becomes clear that something deep and sinister has infected their community. For Tia and Mike Baye, the question they must answer is this: When it comes to your kids, is it possible to know too much?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:19 -0400)

Just how far parents will go to protect their kids? When their son Adam is implicated in the death of his classmate, Tia and Mike Baye install a sophisticated spy program on Adam's computer, and within days are jolted by a message from an unknown correspondent.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,768,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible