Hold Tight by Harlan Coben

Hold Tight (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Harlan Coben

Member:hankreardon
Title:Hold Tight
Authors:Harlan Coben
Info:Signet (2009), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages

Hold Tight by Harlan Coben (2008)

Marked Man (an Alex Sedaka thriller) by David Kessler (hankreardon)
    hankreardon: Seems to have been renamed "Hello darkness my old friend" for some reason.

English (83)  Dutch (3)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (88)
Kinda makes you think about trust and what happens when it breaks. ( )
  Stembie3 | Jun 14, 2015 |
I must admit this wasn’t my favorite Coben book; it had too many stories going on all at once that didn’t really connected to each other well sort of but only the fact that they are all happening at the same time. If this had just been the story Spenser’s suicide and what went on with Adam and his parents afterwards it still would have been a good book about when do you spy on your children? Is it right? Should you or shouldn’t you? But then we also have a story of women being killed and a teacher who shames a girl in class that sets off some massive bullying by her peers. All these stories at once was confusing to me.

Scott Brick as always does a great job at narrating; I love the combination of this author and narrator.

This won’t stop me from reading Coben he is one of my favorite Mystery/Thriller writers but this one just wasn’t a favorite.

3 Stars ( )
  susiesharp | Feb 12, 2015 |
I'm a huge fan of Harlan Coben, but at the same time I don't usually enjoy books with too many characters in (short attention span I guess, I lose track...)

I did really enjoy this book though, and found it very interesting. I say 'interesting' because Harlan Coben explores aspects of human nature and behaviour through these characters in a very effective way, while still writing an entertaining and enjoyable story.

I felt the ending tied the various characters and stories together very well, and I was left wondering how on earth Harlan Coben managed to keep track of everybody and the various lies they had told to each other. (As a writer myself, I actually found it amazing that he was able to keep track so effectively and not miss anything!)

There seemed to be less humour in this book than in his other books, although given the fact that parts of the story do get quite dark I guess this isn't all that of a surprise.

Geeky as it sounds, I also liked the references to characters from other Harlan Coben books, specifically the Myron Bolitar series.

I'd definitely recommend this one, even if it'll make you doubt the truth of what other people tell you, forever...!
  AngeloMarcos | Jan 6, 2015 |
This book is a complicated weaving of separate stories into a grand whole. The different groups of people are introduced as completely different stories. Each is full of conflict and tension. Then Coben makes some connections, and you think ‘I know exactly what’s going on’. Then he makes a few more connections and has you turning the page – or sitting and listening – to confirm or deny your suspicions.
This one is pretty gritty, almost noir, but not quite. I like the rawness of the story and the strength of the characters. If you like a mystery that surprises you at the very end, this isn’t for you. Throughout the story, you are carefully led to the right conclusion so that you can enjoy the final scenes as retribution, justice, and hope. ( )
  Perrywilson | May 25, 2014 |
"Almost" funny when you consider that what Coben was writing about in 2008 as just a tiny bit futuristic has been so outdone in today's world of spy technology, etc., etc. ( )
  nyiper | Apr 16, 2014 |
In loving memory of my children's four grandparents:

Carl and Corky Coben

Jack and Nancy Armstrong

We miss all of you very much
Marianne nursed her third shot of Cuervo, marveling at her endless capacity to destroy any good in her pathetic life, when the man nest to her shouted, "Listen up, sweetcakes: Creationism and evolution are totally compatible."

#1 bestselling author Harlan Coben asks that provocative and terrifying question with his fifteenth thriller. How much do parents really want to know about their kids?

#1 bestselling author Harlan Coben has become an unstoppable force in suspense fiction. His most recent novel, The Woods, spent more time on the New York Times bestseller list than his previous books and sales reached his highest levels to date. His latest page-turner, which is about just how far parents will go to protect their kids, is destined for the top of every bestseller list.

Tia and Mike Baye never imagined they’d become the type of overprotective parents who spy on their kids. But their sixteen-year-old son Adam has been unusually distant lately, and after the suicide of his classmate Spencer Hill—the latest in a string of issues at school—they can’t help but worry. They install a sophisticated spy program on Adam’s computer, and within days are jolted by a message from an unknown correspondent addressed to their son: “Just stay quiet and all safe.”

Meanwhile, browsing through an online memorial for Spencer put together by his classmates, Betsy Hill is struck by a photo that appears to have been taken on the night of her son’s death . . . and he wasn’t alone. She thinks it is Adam Baye standing just outside the camera’s range; but when Adam goes missing, it soon becomes clear that something deep and sinister has infected their community. For Tia and Mike Baye, the question they must answer is this: When it comes to your kids, is it possible to know too much?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:10 -0400)

Just how far parents will go to protect their kids? When their son Adam is implicated in the death of his classmate, Tia and Mike Baye install a sophisticated spy program on Adam's computer, and within days are jolted by a message from an unknown correspondent.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,022,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible