Tepper Isn't Going Out: A Novel by…

Tepper Isn't Going Out: A Novel (original 2001; edition 2002)

by Calvin Trillin

Title:Tepper Isn't Going Out: A Novel
Authors:Calvin Trillin
Info:Random House (2002), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 224 pages
Collections:Your library, Reviewed
Tags:@home, fiction, signed by author (personalized), parking

Tepper Isn't Going Out: A Novel by Calvin Trillin (2001)

The Line by Olga Grushin (LynnB)
    LynnB: Both of these books deal with reactions to something new: a kiosk or a person who sits in his parked car. Both show how a sense of community develops around the new feature of the environment. Tepper is much lighter than The Line.
    Ella Minnow Pea: A Novel in Letters by Mark Dunn (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are deceptively simple stories that highlight absurdity in human behavior.

Is Tepper a brilliant planner who wants to retire or just a simple New Yorker with a parking fetish? You'll have to read this rollicking hysterical book about people with poor listening skills, insanely paranoid politicians, New York City, and parking to find out.

Good read but you may have to be a New Yorker to appreciate all the nuances. ( )
  Bookish59 | Oct 22, 2015 |
This makes me miss New York City so much. Life expressed via alternate-aide-of-the-street parking! Russ & Daughters! Yiddishkeit! Rivington Street! Hizzoner! The court buildings downtown! The tabloid newspaper war!

It ends a little abruptly, but I love everyone in it so much that I just want to read about them forever. Except possibly Richard. ( )
  cricketbats | Apr 18, 2013 |
"Tepper Isn't Going Out" is a delightfully irreverent take on authority, moral courage, and the joy of finding the perfect parking space. The book oscillates between sly social commentary and outright satire as the titular Murray Tepper stands up in defense of his right to sit in a (legally parked) car. Populated by memorable characters this book will delight anyone who enjoys seeing mad bureaucracies brought down a few notches. ( )
  sullijo | Nov 29, 2012 |
Murray Tepper has a parking spot in a garage. But, every night, he goes searching for an on-street spot where he can park his car. There, he sits and reads the paper, waving away other parking spot seekers who ask if he is going out. Because he isn't.

Why is he doing this? Nostaligia for the days when he couldn't afford a garage and finding a legal, long-term spot was both a necessity and a triumph? Mid-life crisis? Or some deeper plot? All Murray will say is that he is legally parked and not going out.

This is a funny book -- a bit of a satire on city politics, fame and folk heroes. A real pleasure to read -- you'll like Murry Tepper and, like so many characters in the novel, want to sit in the car with him and listen to what he doesn't really say. ( )
  LynnB | Jan 28, 2012 |
A quick read. By the time I got on Goodreads to add it to my Currently Reading shelf, I had read it.

Since it's by Calvin Trillin, those familiar with Calvin Trillin probably already know this is filled with quirky, gentle comedy, and that it's almost a disappointment when it turns out to have a plot.

Trillin transported me to residential Manhattan and the detailed know-how necessary to park legally and well. It's as if somebody said, "Calvin, parking is the most boring subject on earth. I dare you to write a book about it that people will enjoy reading."

He won the bet. This book makes me want to go sit in my car and read the paper, but it won't be any fun unless I can get my husband to install a parking meter in the front yard. ( )
  MarianAllen | Jan 20, 2012 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375758518, Paperback)

New York City and America's car culture smash together in Calvin Trillin's Tepper Isn't Going Out, a humorous tale of the urban quest for an open parking space. When a mailing-list broker, Murray Tepper, decides to spend his days plugging meters so he can sit in his car reading newspapers and waive off suitors hopeful of gaining his spot, little does he know that his odd behavior (even by New York standards) will set off a media buzz, provide him with cult-hero status, and incur reproach from the paranoid, dour Mayor Frank Ducavelli, who focuses on curtailing Tepper's "abuse" of the parking meter system.

Granted, the plot of this novel is quite thin, but, while not leaving you in stitches, Trillin provokes many smirks and smiles with his wit. For instance, he writes of magazines titled Beautiful Spot: A Magazine of Parking and the potential of Spin: The Magazine of Salad Drying. When Tepper suggests that his friend Jack leave his car's flashers on while parked illegally, Jack responds:

And draw attention to myself? Not a chance. I always park in front of hydrants. The secret is to park smack in front of them rather than just too near them. You have to go all the way. If you're smack in front of them, the cop rolling down the street can't see that there's a hydrant there at all. You have to be brazen. That's my motto, in parking and in life: be brazen.
Trillin's book should appeal to commuters and city dwellers everywhere, and anyone else looking for a chuckle. --Michael Ferch

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:54 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,890,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible