The Dot and the Line: A Romance in Lower…

The Dot and the Line: A Romance in Lower Mathematics (1963)

by Norton Juster

5132019,781 (4.3)19

The line admires the dot, because the dots originality. Later, the line discovers angles and realizes that it can become anything it wants to be: parallelogram, squares, triangles and more.
  alcrumpler | Jul 12, 2014 |
A love triangle between a line, a dot and a squiggle ultimately resolves in the line winning his lady, the dot. ( )
  SilverKitty | Jun 24, 2014 |
Amusing. Quite brilliant use of imagery and puns. The story of the line appealed to me the most as he persevered in making himself more than what was expected of him. The romance, on the other hand, which focused on the fickleness of the "she" was rather outdated and tedious. I'm not sure how a child would respond to this though as it seems it would be more fun for the adult. ( )
  ElizaJane | Apr 6, 2014 |
Genius.

That would be my one word review, but for those of you who want more I would call this one of the best picture books I've ever read. The story is both simple and complex, much like mathematics. It's the story of a line who's in love with a dot and the plot is filled with all the agony of unrequited love for the entire 80 pages, which will take less than 15 minutes to read. But these will be the most amusing 15 minutes of your day as you explore the theme of love through lower mathematics. ( )
1 vote Neftzger | Mar 15, 2014 |
Aw, come on, Line. You can do better than Dot. Especially after your burst of personal growth! Why didn't you outgrow Dot?

I don't think this is the message I'm supposed to take from this story. I finished it with similar feelings to how I feel about Shel Silverstein's sweet story of codependency The Missing Piece Meets the Big O--a nagging suspicion that I was supposed to find it charming and romantic but instead feeling pity and a mild revulsion to the dynamic.

Why everyone should read this anyway: (a) it's Norton Juster, (b) it involves math jokes, and (c) what do you need a (c) for? It's Norton Juster and makes math jokes. Line's friends were concerned about "how terribly thin and drawn he had become"? Who doesn't think that's hilarious? ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 30, 2013 |
For Euclid, no matter what they say.
Once upon a time there was a sensible straight line who was hopelessly in love with a dot.

The endearing fable about a straight line who falls in love with a dot and sets out to win her heart away from a squiggle. A borderline classic; 70,000 sold to date!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:45 -0400)

"Story of a distraught straight line who falls in love with a frivolous dot."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,623,715 books! | Top bar: Always visible