Still Alice by Lisa Genova

Still Alice (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Lisa Genova

Member:Brenda63
Title:Still Alice
Authors:Lisa Genova
Info:Pocket Books (2009), Edition: 1st Thus., Paperback, 292 pages
Rating:*****

Still Alice by Lisa Genova (2007)

Awakenings by Oliver Sacks (dreamydress48)
    Tangles: A Story About Alzheimer's, My Mother, and Me by Sarah Leavitt (TransatlanticAgency)
    25 Months: A Memoir by Linda McK. Stewart (meggyweg)
    Rough Music by Patrick Gale (LynnB)
    Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey (Deelightful)
    Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Unlike the psychologically suspenseful mystery Turn of Mind, Still Alice is mainstream fiction. Despite differences in plot, genre, and feel, both sensitively portray the disorientation and disintegrating memory of Alzheimer's patients.… (more)
    Lost: A Novel by Alice Lichtenstein (dara85)
    When It Gets Dark: An Enlightened Reflection on Life with Alzheimer's by Thomas DeBaggio (Mareofthesea)
    The Leisure Seeker by Michael Zadoorian (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books deal with Alzheimer's Disease in a compassionate way.
    The Forgetting: Alzheimer's: Portrait of an Epidemic by David Shenk (kathrynnd)
    Measure of the Heart: A Father's Alzheimer's, A Daughter's Return by Mary Ellen Geist (Mareofthesea)
    Kalila by Rosemary Nixon (ShelfMonkey)
    The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides (Deesirings)
    Deesirings: Both these books offer poignant descriptions of being within a mind-altering disease.

English (313)  Dutch (8)  Finnish (3)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (328)
I didn't want to put this book down last night. The Notebook was such a wonderful book about this from the loved one's perspective; this book is from Alice's perspective. Very moving. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
I found this novel extremely hard to read, not for any personal reason or from any personal experience, but just because of what it represented, a brilliant mind being lost. The sense of hopelessness was overwhelming at times. In fact, I thought my rating would be lower, but after finishing the book, I realize that Genova did an incredible job of portraying the realistic outcome of an Alzheimer's diagnosis. The feelings I felt are meant to be felt, and in that respect, she did an excellent job. Following Alice's story was hard, but ultimately, it was worthwhile. ( )
  hobbitprincess | Apr 8, 2016 |
Read for neighborhood book group January selection. The novel is about a young women who has early on set Alzheimers. I loved how the author tells the story from the perspective of the patient as she is spirally through the stages of her disease.

Several passages were very poingnant in the novel:

pg 111 (May 2004) "She remembered being six or seven and crying over the fates of butterflies in her yard after learning they lived only a few days. Her mother had comforted her and told her not to be sad for the butterflies, that just because their lives were short didn't mean they were tragic. Watching them fly in the warm sun among the daises in their garden her mother had said to her, See, they have a beautiful life. Alice liked remembering that.

pg 225 (December 2004) They talked about her as if she weren't sitting in the wing chair, a few feet away. They talked about her, in front of her, as if she were deaf. They talked about her, in front of her, without including her, as if she had Alzheimer's disease.

pg 251 (March 2005) We feel like we are neither here nor their, like some crazy Dr Suess character in a bizarre land. It's a very lonely and frustrating place to be.

Although this story is a work of fiction I believe the author has captured the essence of the individual with Alzheimer's and their struggle.

Look forward to reading more by this author.

yvonne.sevignykaiser | Apr 2, 2016 |
Realistic and vivid portrayal of a woman who is just beginning her battle with early onset Alzheimers. Several plot developments in the book really made me think about how I would react to certain circumstances and how I would want my family to react. Liked this book a lot more than I expected too. ( )
  Darwa | Mar 18, 2016 |
Alice is a well-known Harvard professor with a successful career, a loving husband, and three grown children. However, at the age of 50, she finds herself increasingly forgetting things - a particular word of a lecture, an event, how to get home from a run... Alice is diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's disease and her world completely changes.

This book is beautiful and horrifying and tragic. It literally hurt my heart to read about Alice's unraveling and spiral into her disease. It's terrifying, for sure. Genova does an amazing job portraying Alice and the supporting characters of her life - particuarly her husband John, and her three children. It's definitely a worthwhile read, though it will stay with you for a while. ( )
  justacatandabook | Mar 9, 2016 |
When looking for a publisher for this story, Genova was often told that it would only appeal to the Alzheimer's community. So, she self-published and self-marketed. Word of mouth spread about the universal appeal of Still Alice, and she gained an agent, a publisher, a top-10 spot on The New York Times and Globe and Mail bestseller lists, and some high praise for her compassionate page-turner. It's well deserved.

Even then, more than a year earlier, there were neurons in her head, not far from her ears, that were being strangled to death, too quietly for her to hear them. Some would argue that things were going so insidiously wrong that the neurons themselves initiated events that would lead to their own destruction. Whether it was molecular murder or cellular suicide, they were unable to warn her of what was happening before they died.
In Memory of Angie
For Alena
Alice sat at her desk in their bedroom distracted by the sounds of John racing though each of the rooms on the first floor.
Do not combine the movie with the book

"Powerful, insightful, tragic, inspirational…and all too true." Alireza Atri, Massachusetts General Hospital Neurologist

“Readers…are artfully and realistically led through…a window into what to expect, highlighting the importance of allowing the person with the disease to remain a vibrant and contributing member of the community…" Peter Reed, PhD, Director of Programs, National Alzheimer's Association

“With grace and compassion, Lisa Genova writes about the enormous white emptiness created by Alzheimer’s in the mind of the still-too-young and active Alice. A kind of ominous suspense attends her gathering forgetfulness, and Genova puts us, sympathetically, right inside her plight. Somehow, too, she portrays the family’s response as a loving one, and hints at the other hopeful, helpful response that science will eventually provide.” Mopsy Kennedy, Improper Bostonian

"An intensely intimate portrait of Alzheimer's seasoned with highly accurate and useful information about this insidious and devastating disease." Dr. Rudolph E. Tanzi, co-author, Decoding Darkness: The Search for the Genetic Causes of Alzheimer's Disease

“Her (Alice's) thought patterns are so eerily like my own...amazing. It was like being in my own head and like being in hers.” James Smith, diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, age 45

“...something for the world to read.” Jeanne Lee, author of Just Love Me: My Life Turned Upside-Down By Alzheimer’s

“A laser-precise light into the lives of people with dementia and the people who love them.” Carole Mulliken, Co-Founder of DementiaUSA

"A work of pure genius. This is the book that I and many of my colleagues have anxiously awaited. The reader will journey down Dementia Road in a way that only those of us with Dementia have experienced. Until now." Charley Schneider, author of Don't Bury Me, It Ain't Over Yet

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:41 -0400)

Feeling at the top of her game when she is suddenly diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's disease, Harvard psychologist Alice Howland struggles to find meaning and purpose in her life as her concept of self gradually slips away.

Hyperion and Voice

An edition of this book was published by Hyperion and Voice.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible