Still Alice by Lisa Genova

Still Alice (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Lisa Genova

Member:Brenda63
Title:Still Alice
Authors:Lisa Genova
Info:Pocket Books (2009), Edition: 1st Thus., Paperback, 292 pages
Rating:*****

Still Alice by Lisa Genova (2007)

Awakenings by Oliver Sacks (dreamydress48)
    Tangles: A Story About Alzheimer's, My Mother, and Me by Sarah Leavitt (TransatlanticAgency)
    25 Months: A Memoir by Linda McK. Stewart (meggyweg)
    Rough Music by Patrick Gale (LynnB)
    Elizabeth Is Missing by Emma Healey (Deelightful)
    Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Unlike the psychologically suspenseful mystery Turn of Mind, Still Alice is mainstream fiction. Despite differences in plot, genre, and feel, both sensitively portray the disorientation and disintegrating memory of Alzheimer's patients.… (more)
    Lost: A Novel by Alice Lichtenstein (dara85)
    When It Gets Dark: An Enlightened Reflection on Life with Alzheimer's by Thomas DeBaggio (Mareofthesea)
    The Leisure Seeker by Michael Zadoorian (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books deal with Alzheimer's Disease in a compassionate way.
    The Forgetting: Alzheimer's: Portrait of an Epidemic by David Shenk (kathrynnd)
    Measure of the Heart: A Father's Alzheimer's, A Daughter's Return by Mary Ellen Geist (Mareofthesea)
    Kalila by Rosemary Nixon (ShelfMonkey)
    The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides (Deesirings)
    Deesirings: Both these books offer poignant descriptions of being within a mind-altering disease.

English (333)  Dutch (8)  Finnish (3)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All (348)
Moving but sad story - written in beautiful prose, story of 50 something Alice Howland, esteemed Harvard professor of linguistics, wife of scientist husband John, mother of three grown children, soon to be grandma... is diagnosised with early onset Alzheimer's disease. "Of all the people who have Alzheimer's disease, about 5 percent develop symptoms before age 65." Alice knows this but, at first-like anyone in her age bracket and superior intelligence, ambition, etc, she guesses it merely may be the side effects of menopause, overwork or stress. Compelling because we experience the entire story through Alice's point of view, not in third person narrative - a challenge to do this well as Alice moves from full cognition, to hiccups of memory lapses to obvious, growing Alzheimer's "fog." Has a readers guide for book groups at end, and interesting interview with author. ( )
  BDartnall | Jan 21, 2017 |
This was an eye opening book. It was told from the point of view of the person with Alzheimer's. Although I can't know for sure, I feel that it was pretty spot on. What a sad and scary disease Alzheimer's is. I don't think I'll ever forget this story. It made the issues personal for me, and changed my views on certain things. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Alice Howland is a happily married 50+year old cognitive psychology professor (a renowned linguistics expert) at Harvard with three grown children at the height of her career. She begins to notice forgetfulness creeping into her life. Things that were once familiar (her class lectures become a struggle and she begins to lose her sense of direction) become confusing and lost. As her memory begins to fail her, she receives a devastating diagnosis: early onset Alzheimer's disease. The disease takes hold swiftly, and it changes Alice’s relationship with her family and the world. Fiercely independent, Alice struggles to maintain her lifestyle and live in the moment, even as her sense of self is being stripped away. This novel is incredibly heartbreaking and tragic as you begin to realize how much Alice has lost—her professional identity, the recognition of her family and eventually her ability to speak. This novel is very well down as it takes you into Alice’s experience of her losses and her family’s reactions to the changes. 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Jan 4, 2017 |
I LOVED this book. I added it to my to-read list after having readed and loved Lisa Genova's "Left Neglected" and it did not disappoint me. She is a very talented author. I laughed and cried and just thoughorly enjoyed the story. I highly recommend it and can't wait for her next book. ( )
  lynnski723 | Dec 31, 2016 |
When looking for a publisher for this story, Genova was often told that it would only appeal to the Alzheimer's community. So, she self-published and self-marketed. Word of mouth spread about the universal appeal of Still Alice, and she gained an agent, a publisher, a top-10 spot on The New York Times and Globe and Mail bestseller lists, and some high praise for her compassionate page-turner. It's well deserved.

Even then, more than a year earlier, there were neurons in her head, not far from her ears, that were being strangled to death, too quietly for her to hear them. Some would argue that things were going so insidiously wrong that the neurons themselves initiated events that would lead to their own destruction. Whether it was molecular murder or cellular suicide, they were unable to warn her of what was happening before they died.
In Memory of Angie
For Alena
Alice sat at her desk in their bedroom distracted by the sounds of John racing though each of the rooms on the first floor.
Do not combine the movie with the book

"Powerful, insightful, tragic, inspirational…and all too true." Alireza Atri, Massachusetts General Hospital Neurologist

“Readers…are artfully and realistically led through…a window into what to expect, highlighting the importance of allowing the person with the disease to remain a vibrant and contributing member of the community…" Peter Reed, PhD, Director of Programs, National Alzheimer's Association

“With grace and compassion, Lisa Genova writes about the enormous white emptiness created by Alzheimer’s in the mind of the still-too-young and active Alice. A kind of ominous suspense attends her gathering forgetfulness, and Genova puts us, sympathetically, right inside her plight. Somehow, too, she portrays the family’s response as a loving one, and hints at the other hopeful, helpful response that science will eventually provide.” Mopsy Kennedy, Improper Bostonian

"An intensely intimate portrait of Alzheimer's seasoned with highly accurate and useful information about this insidious and devastating disease." Dr. Rudolph E. Tanzi, co-author, Decoding Darkness: The Search for the Genetic Causes of Alzheimer's Disease

“Her (Alice's) thought patterns are so eerily like my own...amazing. It was like being in my own head and like being in hers.” James Smith, diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, age 45

“...something for the world to read.” Jeanne Lee, author of Just Love Me: My Life Turned Upside-Down By Alzheimer’s

“A laser-precise light into the lives of people with dementia and the people who love them.” Carole Mulliken, Co-Founder of DementiaUSA

"A work of pure genius. This is the book that I and many of my colleagues have anxiously awaited. The reader will journey down Dementia Road in a way that only those of us with Dementia have experienced. Until now." Charley Schneider, author of Don't Bury Me, It Ain't Over Yet

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:41 -0400)

Feeling at the top of her game when she is suddenly diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's disease, Harvard psychologist Alice Howland struggles to find meaning and purpose in her life as her concept of self gradually slips away.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,682,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible