Still Alice by Lisa Genova

Still Alice (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Lisa Genova

Member:Brenda63
Title:Still Alice
Authors:Lisa Genova
Info:Pocket Books (2009), Edition: 1st Thus., Paperback, 292 pages
Rating:*****

Still Alice by Lisa Genova (2007)

Awakenings by Oliver Sacks (dreamydress48)
    Tangles: A Story About Alzheimer's, My Mother, and Me by Sarah Leavitt (TransatlanticAgency)
    25 Months: A Memoir by Linda McK. Stewart (meggyweg)
    Rough Music by Patrick Gale (LynnB)
    Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey (Deelightful)
    Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Unlike the psychologically suspenseful mystery Turn of Mind, Still Alice is mainstream fiction. Despite differences in plot, genre, and feel, both sensitively portray the disorientation and disintegrating memory of Alzheimer's patients.… (more)
    Lost: A Novel by Alice Lichtenstein (dara85)
    When It Gets Dark: An Enlightened Reflection on Life with Alzheimer's by Thomas DeBaggio (Mareofthesea)
    The Leisure Seeker by Michael Zadoorian (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books deal with Alzheimer's Disease in a compassionate way.
    The Forgetting: Alzheimer's: Portrait of an Epidemic by David Shenk (kathrynnd)
    Measure of the Heart: A Father's Alzheimer's, A Daughter's Return by Mary Ellen Geist (Mareofthesea)
    Kalila by Rosemary Nixon (ShelfMonkey)
    The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides (Deesirings)
    Deesirings: Both these books offer poignant descriptions of being within a mind-altering disease.

English (319)  Dutch (8)  Finnish (3)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (334)
A softly powerful and unflinching look at early onset Alzheimer’s disease. The insights into Alice’s mind as the disease erodes her memories and independence are balanced by her family and colleagues’ reactions; everything from denial and avoidance to acceptance and love. Author Lisa Genova includes an amazing amount of clinical information, including treatment and support, without weakening the book’s emotional impact. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
Cried cried cried. ( )
  judybooklady | Jun 29, 2016 |
This was very well written, but quite an emotional read for me. It was a great look at Alzheimer's from the patient's perspective. ( )
  jodiesohl | Jun 25, 2016 |
It's not easy for me to honest here, because it means not being kind. But I didn't particularly like the characters, and I didn't understand why some of them became kinder and some didn't. The whole book was a bit shallow, a bit bestseller-ish.

But still I don't regret reading it. It was enlightening to feel as if I was inside Alice's head, seeing just exactly what kind of degradation was occurring. And the ending was good - it didn't leave me depressed, but there was no deus ex machina, either. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I'm torn about rating this book. The writing was good, the author clearly has expertise and knowledge...but the feeling I came out with was anguish and horror. I lost two grandparents to this disease (theirs was not early onset) and reading about Alice's struggle hit me very close to home. I was angry and disappointed at how (spoiler) wound up treating her and by the time I finished the book, I was in furious tears. While I think this book may help caregivers or friends/family of Alzheimer's sufferers, it might also be overwhelming. ( )
  grammarchick | May 31, 2016 |
When looking for a publisher for this story, Genova was often told that it would only appeal to the Alzheimer's community. So, she self-published and self-marketed. Word of mouth spread about the universal appeal of Still Alice, and she gained an agent, a publisher, a top-10 spot on The New York Times and Globe and Mail bestseller lists, and some high praise for her compassionate page-turner. It's well deserved.

Even then, more than a year earlier, there were neurons in her head, not far from her ears, that were being strangled to death, too quietly for her to hear them. Some would argue that things were going so insidiously wrong that the neurons themselves initiated events that would lead to their own destruction. Whether it was molecular murder or cellular suicide, they were unable to warn her of what was happening before they died.
In Memory of Angie
For Alena
Alice sat at her desk in their bedroom distracted by the sounds of John racing though each of the rooms on the first floor.
Do not combine the movie with the book

"Powerful, insightful, tragic, inspirational…and all too true." Alireza Atri, Massachusetts General Hospital Neurologist

“Readers…are artfully and realistically led through…a window into what to expect, highlighting the importance of allowing the person with the disease to remain a vibrant and contributing member of the community…" Peter Reed, PhD, Director of Programs, National Alzheimer's Association

“With grace and compassion, Lisa Genova writes about the enormous white emptiness created by Alzheimer’s in the mind of the still-too-young and active Alice. A kind of ominous suspense attends her gathering forgetfulness, and Genova puts us, sympathetically, right inside her plight. Somehow, too, she portrays the family’s response as a loving one, and hints at the other hopeful, helpful response that science will eventually provide.” Mopsy Kennedy, Improper Bostonian

"An intensely intimate portrait of Alzheimer's seasoned with highly accurate and useful information about this insidious and devastating disease." Dr. Rudolph E. Tanzi, co-author, Decoding Darkness: The Search for the Genetic Causes of Alzheimer's Disease

“Her (Alice's) thought patterns are so eerily like my own...amazing. It was like being in my own head and like being in hers.” James Smith, diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, age 45

“...something for the world to read.” Jeanne Lee, author of Just Love Me: My Life Turned Upside-Down By Alzheimer’s

“A laser-precise light into the lives of people with dementia and the people who love them.” Carole Mulliken, Co-Founder of DementiaUSA

"A work of pure genius. This is the book that I and many of my colleagues have anxiously awaited. The reader will journey down Dementia Road in a way that only those of us with Dementia have experienced. Until now." Charley Schneider, author of Don't Bury Me, It Ain't Over Yet

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:41 -0400)

Feeling at the top of her game when she is suddenly diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's disease, Harvard psychologist Alice Howland struggles to find meaning and purpose in her life as her concept of self gradually slips away.

Hyperion and Voice

An edition of this book was published by Hyperion and Voice.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,923,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible