Still Alice by Lisa Genova

Still Alice (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Lisa Genova

Member:Brenda63
Title:Still Alice
Authors:Lisa Genova
Info:Pocket Books (2009), Edition: 1st Thus., Paperback, 292 pages
Rating:*****

Still Alice by Lisa Genova (2007)

Awakenings by Oliver Sacks (dreamydress48)
    Tangles: A Story About Alzheimer's, My Mother, and Me by Sarah Leavitt (TransatlanticAgency)
    25 Months: A Memoir by Linda McK. Stewart (meggyweg)
    Rough Music by Patrick Gale (LynnB)
    Elizabeth Is Missing by Emma Healey (Deelightful)
    Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Unlike the psychologically suspenseful mystery Turn of Mind, Still Alice is mainstream fiction. Despite differences in plot, genre, and feel, both sensitively portray the disorientation and disintegrating memory of Alzheimer's patients.… (more)
    Lost: A Novel by Alice Lichtenstein (dara85)
    When It Gets Dark: An Enlightened Reflection on Life with Alzheimer's by Thomas DeBaggio (Mareofthesea)
    The Leisure Seeker by Michael Zadoorian (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books deal with Alzheimer's Disease in a compassionate way.
    The Forgetting: Alzheimer's: Portrait of an Epidemic by David Shenk (kathrynnd)
    Measure of the Heart: A Father's Alzheimer's, A Daughter's Return by Mary Ellen Geist (Mareofthesea)
    Kalila by Rosemary Nixon (ShelfMonkey)
    The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides (Deesirings)
    Deesirings: Both these books offer poignant descriptions of being within a mind-altering disease.

English (328)  Dutch (8)  Finnish (3)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  English (343)
I didn't want to like this book. I mistakenly thought it was a true story. I thought the beginning of it was a bit unrealistic, particularly the dialogues, but I did find myself wanting to find out what happened next, etc., so it did keep my attention. And I like (true) stories about overcoming, whether it be from a disease, a trial, or a loss. So... I'm going to check out Genova's other book, Left Neglected. ( )
  homeschoolmimzi | Nov 28, 2016 |
I did not care for half of this book. I liked the writing style, and the premise was unique and interesting. It was unsettling to see an "inside look" at Alzheimers. However there were things in the book that were mentioned but not addressed and that frustrated me. The husband was too difficult to be believed (i know he struggled with her diagnosis, but still...). Overall a decent story, but not one i need to jump on my roof and have every human read. ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
I loved this book! My cherished Mother-in-law and Sister-in-law both suffered from Alzheimer's disease. I choose to believe these are the thoughts and emotions they experienced. ( )
  elsyd | Nov 9, 2016 |
I read this book as part of a book club, I probably wouldn't have picked it up otherwise. . . . it's pretty far outside my wheelhouse.

I'm glad I read this book. it's told sympathetically from the point of view of Alice, as she struggles with the decline of everything she is through the ravages of early onset alzheimers disease. the reader sees Alice struggle through the loss of her mental faculties and her sense of family and self.

this is a poignant and occasionally sad book, but we'll worth the read. ( )
  irregularreader | Oct 31, 2016 |
Parents often keep records of their children when they experience firsts: First time their eyes track them. First smile. First time to tun over. First time eating solid food. First tooth. First word. First step.
STILL ALICE records the firsts of an adult, Dr. Alice Howland, tenured cognitive psychology professor at Harvard University. Her firsts, however, are a reversal of the baby books. When she was fifty years old, Alice was diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer’s. She recognized that she had a problem when she had difficulty remembering words and when she got lost a few blocks from her home as she followed a familiar route. At first, she didn’t share the information with anyone, including her husband and children. But her doctor insisted that she bring her husband or another person to her appointments. As she was coping with the diagnosis from one perspective, her husband had difficulty accepting it and then focused on trying to cure it, an impossible task. Their relationship, once very close, had changed as he spent more and more time with his medical work. She notices his twisting his wedding ring around a lot, often a sign of uncertainty in the marriage.
Her children, all adults, reacted to the diagnosis in various ways, all positive and supportive, especially when they learned that her illness was hereditary. Her older daughter and her husband were trying to conceive a baby at the time.
While she didn’t let anyone at work know about her illness, she cut back on some of her professional activities until that was no longer possible.
The book is not maudlin but shows the progression of the disease through Alice’s eyes. At first, she says, “She wished she had cancer instead....With cancer, she’d have something that she could fight....There was a chance that she could win. Her family and the community at Harvard would rally behind her battle and consider it noble. And even if defeated in the end, she’d be able to look them knowingly in the eye and say good-bye before she left.” She realized that people associated Alzheimer’s with mental illness and tended to avoid people with the disease.
One of the thoughts that comforted her when she got the diagnosis was a comment her mother had made decades earlier. “Her mother told her not to be sad for the butterflies, that just because their lives were short didn’t mean they were tragic. Watching them flying in the warm sun among the daisies in their garden, her mother had said to her, See, they have a beautiful life.”
While STILL ALICE is a novel, the situations are real. Lisa Genova provides resources for additional information for people living with Alzheimer’s and those close to them. One important point is that the person can often understand what is being said but cannot form the words to respond.
As a volunteer guardian, I have had many wards who had dementia. One of them taught me to look at the world through her eyes, not my own. She didn’t know what world she lived in, but she loved it. She was one of the happiest people I even knew.
The book is well written and a good resource for getting a better understanding of Alzheimer’s. There is some repetition, but it usually reflects what is going on in Alice’s mind. ( )
  Judiex | Sep 17, 2016 |
When looking for a publisher for this story, Genova was often told that it would only appeal to the Alzheimer's community. So, she self-published and self-marketed. Word of mouth spread about the universal appeal of Still Alice, and she gained an agent, a publisher, a top-10 spot on The New York Times and Globe and Mail bestseller lists, and some high praise for her compassionate page-turner. It's well deserved.

Even then, more than a year earlier, there were neurons in her head, not far from her ears, that were being strangled to death, too quietly for her to hear them. Some would argue that things were going so insidiously wrong that the neurons themselves initiated events that would lead to their own destruction. Whether it was molecular murder or cellular suicide, they were unable to warn her of what was happening before they died.
In Memory of Angie
For Alena
Alice sat at her desk in their bedroom distracted by the sounds of John racing though each of the rooms on the first floor.
Do not combine the movie with the book

"Powerful, insightful, tragic, inspirational…and all too true." Alireza Atri, Massachusetts General Hospital Neurologist

“Readers…are artfully and realistically led through…a window into what to expect, highlighting the importance of allowing the person with the disease to remain a vibrant and contributing member of the community…" Peter Reed, PhD, Director of Programs, National Alzheimer's Association

“With grace and compassion, Lisa Genova writes about the enormous white emptiness created by Alzheimer’s in the mind of the still-too-young and active Alice. A kind of ominous suspense attends her gathering forgetfulness, and Genova puts us, sympathetically, right inside her plight. Somehow, too, she portrays the family’s response as a loving one, and hints at the other hopeful, helpful response that science will eventually provide.” Mopsy Kennedy, Improper Bostonian

"An intensely intimate portrait of Alzheimer's seasoned with highly accurate and useful information about this insidious and devastating disease." Dr. Rudolph E. Tanzi, co-author, Decoding Darkness: The Search for the Genetic Causes of Alzheimer's Disease

“Her (Alice's) thought patterns are so eerily like my own...amazing. It was like being in my own head and like being in hers.” James Smith, diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, age 45

“...something for the world to read.” Jeanne Lee, author of Just Love Me: My Life Turned Upside-Down By Alzheimer’s

“A laser-precise light into the lives of people with dementia and the people who love them.” Carole Mulliken, Co-Founder of DementiaUSA

"A work of pure genius. This is the book that I and many of my colleagues have anxiously awaited. The reader will journey down Dementia Road in a way that only those of us with Dementia have experienced. Until now." Charley Schneider, author of Don't Bury Me, It Ain't Over Yet

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:41 -0400)

Feeling at the top of her game when she is suddenly diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's disease, Harvard psychologist Alice Howland struggles to find meaning and purpose in her life as her concept of self gradually slips away.

Hyperion and Voice

An edition of this book was published by Hyperion and Voice.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,658,113 books! | Top bar: Always visible