Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and…

by John Medina

Member:arturtaevere
Title:Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School
Authors:John Medina
Info:Pear Press (2008), Edition: Reprint, Kindle Edition, 301 pages

Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School by John Medina

English (29)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (31)
My advisor for grad school gave me this book as a graduation present. As a researcher, I have read about many of these studies but it was still interesting and engaging. I highly recommend it. ( )
  collizzle | Jun 1, 2014 |
This is a great book. It combines brain science with evolution, how people learn and the stupidities of how we teach. It took me a long time to actually read, but in the process I gave two presentations on the basic principles and gifted the book to a couple of different people.

I think it is a good book to read for many reasons:
-understanding how your children are developing
-understanding how to approach people and how their brain affects their reaction
-understanding the basic way your brain works so that you can leverage that knowledge
etc.

The above, of course, assumes that what the book says is correct. I choose to think it is and think that the concepts it provides can be very useful in managing staff and working with people in general. ( )
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |
Excellent, down to earth way that we can make simple Life Hacks with discoveries regarding how the Brain works. Best tips are - exercise is crucial!! naps are important for creativity and high Brain functioning; teaching and probably also preaching should only last for 10min increments; and lastly what we smell while learning can greatly enhance our retention and learning speed. Medina's downside is he breaks down things so much that it lack an air of academic rigor. If Brain Rules could be combined with Brain Fix you'd have a masterpiece. ( )
  revslick | Jul 31, 2013 |
Kind of like reading a provocative TED talk. ( )
  beckydj | Mar 30, 2013 |
I think this is going to be too basic for me.
  Kaethe | Mar 29, 2013 |
Medina's approach to the subject combines the best aspects of Oliver Sacks and Getting Things Done, making the book into something that's part manifesto and part education.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Sep 17, 2008)

See how the brain works while using it in the process of reading this book! Most of us have no idea what's really going on inside our heads. Yet brain scientists have uncovered details every business leader, parent, and teacher should know - like that physical activity boosts your brain power.

How do we learn? What exactly do sleep and stress do to our brains? Why is multi-tasking a myth? Why is it so easy to forget - and so important to repeat new information? Is it true that men and women have different brains?

In Brain Rules, Dr. John Medina, a molecular biologist, shares his lifelong interest in how the brain sciences might influence the way we teach our children and the way we work. In each chapter, he describes a brain rule - what scientists know for sure about how our brains work - and then offers transformative ideas for our daily lives.

Medina's fascinating stories and sense of humour breathe life into brain science. You'll learn why Michael Jordan was no good at baseball. You'll peer over a surgeon's shoulder as he proves that we have a Jennifer Aniston neuron. You'll meet a boy who has an amazing memory for music but can't tie his own shoes.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:10 -0400)

In Brain Rules, Dr. John Medina, a molecular biologist, shares his lifelong interest in how the brain sciences might influence the way we teach our children and the way we work. In each chapter, he describes a brain rule--what scientists know for sure about how our brains work--and then offers transformative ideas for our daily lives.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,320,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible