Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and…

by John Medina

Member:montano
Title:Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School
Authors:John Medina
Info:Pear Press (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 301 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:non-fiction, brain, learning, health, medicine, neuroscience, psychology

Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School by John Medina

English (34)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (37)
An interesting basic overview of what we currently know about how the brain processes information and learns. ( )
  castiron | Jul 3, 2016 |
  J_J_K | Apr 24, 2016 |
Surprisingly readable, with neat research and anecdotes. ( )
  melaniefaith | Dec 2, 2015 |
Short, but informative and engaging. I appreciate that Medina explains the biology clearly, tries not to generalize too much (even the "principles" of the title are more suggestions and ideas for future research), and emphasizes that there is so much about the brain that we still don't understand. This would be too basic for those who already know some neuroscience, but for me it was about right. ( )
  bostonian71 | Oct 5, 2015 |
Fascinating! A great book for those laymen (like moi) interested in Brain science and the implications on learning. The chapters on music and gender are especially good. ( )
  Willow1972 | Feb 8, 2015 |
Medina's approach to the subject combines the best aspects of Oliver Sacks and Getting Things Done, making the book into something that's part manifesto and part education.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Sep 17, 2008)

See how the brain works while using it in the process of reading this book! Most of us have no idea what's really going on inside our heads. Yet brain scientists have uncovered details every business leader, parent, and teacher should know - like that physical activity boosts your brain power.

How do we learn? What exactly do sleep and stress do to our brains? Why is multi-tasking a myth? Why is it so easy to forget - and so important to repeat new information? Is it true that men and women have different brains?

In Brain Rules, Dr. John Medina, a molecular biologist, shares his lifelong interest in how the brain sciences might influence the way we teach our children and the way we work. In each chapter, he describes a brain rule - what scientists know for sure about how our brains work - and then offers transformative ideas for our daily lives.

Medina's fascinating stories and sense of humour breathe life into brain science. You'll learn why Michael Jordan was no good at baseball. You'll peer over a surgeon's shoulder as he proves that we have a Jennifer Aniston neuron. You'll meet a boy who has an amazing memory for music but can't tie his own shoes.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:31 -0400)

In Brain Rules, Dr. John Medina, a molecular biologist, shares his lifelong interest in how the brain sciences might influence the way we teach our children and the way we work. In each chapter, he describes a brain rule--what scientists know for sure about how our brains work--and then offers transformative ideas for our daily lives.… (more)

527 wanted6 pay8 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,488,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible