The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less by…

The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less

by Barry Schwartz

English (35)  French (1)  All languages (36)
We now have more choice than ever before but is this a good thing? this book will convince you that sometimes less really is more. ( )
  M_Clark | Mar 12, 2016 |
1/17/2016 11:41 AM Mentioned in a review in the Times. I recall when this came out and think it might be worth a read.
  ntgntg | Jan 17, 2016 |
rating 3.25

In The Paradox of choice, Schwatz pulls heavily from a few books to help solidify his points.
Thinking Fast and Slow - Kahneman
Blink - Gladwell
Bowling Alone - Putnam

To oversimplify this book, more choices do not make us happier. They end up making us less satisfied with the choice we have made and frustrate us along the way to make the choice we end up making. Study after study herein referenced showed how we think we want choices but in reality we will pick the same thing we are already familiar with more times than not.

a few tips from the book:

Unless you are dissatisfied stick with what you always buy
Don’t be tempted by new and improve
Don’t scratch unless there is an itch
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
I don't think there's much new psychology research in this book, but it's written in an easy-to-read manner. It's particularly worthwhile for those of us who build things in the digital world (and, of course, for anyone who wonders why they are anxious about the choices they make.) ( )
  thebradking | Feb 22, 2014 |
Schwartz, in an effort to help us mend our ways, applies to individual shoppers Simon’s distinction between maximizing and satisficing. A maximizer is someone who “can’t be certain that she has found the best sweater unless she’s looked at all the sweaters,” Schwartz writes.

For Ruby and Eliza, with love and hope
About six years ago, I went to the Gap to buy a pair of jeans.

In the spirit of Alvin Toffler’s Future Shock, a social critique of our obsession with choice, and how it contributes to anxiety, dissatisfaction and regret. This paperback includes a new P.S. section with author interviews, insights, features, suggested readings, and more.

Whether we’re buying a pair of jeans, ordering a cup of coffee, selecting a long-distance carrier, applying to college, choosing a doctor, or setting up a 401(k), everyday decisions--both big and small--have become increasingly complex due to the overwhelming abundance of choice with which we are presented.

We assume that more choice means better options and greater satisfaction. But beware of excessive choice: choice overload can make you question the decisions you make before you even make them, it can set you up for unrealistically high expectations, and it can make you blame yourself for any and all failures. In the long run, this can lead to decision-making paralysis, anxiety, and perpetual stress. And, in a culture that tells us that there is no excuse for falling short of perfection when your options are limitless, too much choice can lead to clinical depression.

In The Paradox of Choice, Barry Schwartz explains at what point choice--the hallmark of individual freedom and self-determination that we so cherish--becomes detrimental to our psychological and emotional well-being. In accessible, engaging, and anecdotal prose, Schwartz shows how the dramatic explosion in choice--from the mundane to the profound challenges of balancing career, family, and individual needs--has paradoxically become a problem instead of a solution. Schwartz also shows how our obsession with choice encourages us to seek that which makes us feel worse.

By synthesizing current research in the social sciences, Schwartz makes the counterintuitive case that eliminating choices can greatly reduce the stress, anxiety, and busyness of our lives. He offers eleven practical steps on how to limit choices to a manageable number, have the discipline to focus on the important ones and ignore the rest, and ultimately derive greater satisfaction from the choices you have to make.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:49 -0400)

Whether buying a pair of jeans or applying to college, everyday decisions, big and small, have become increasingly complex due to the abundance of choice with which we are presented. As Americans, we assume that more choice means better options and greater satisfaction--but choice overload can make you question your decisions before you even make them, it can set you up for unrealistically high expectations, and it can make you blame yourself for failures. This can lead to decision-making paralysis, anxiety, and stress. In this book, social scientist Schwartz explains at what point choice--the hallmark of individual freedom that we so cherish--becomes detrimental to our psychological and emotional well-being. He offers practical steps on how to limit choices to a manageable number, focus on those that are important and ignore the rest, and derive greater satisfaction from the choices you have to make.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,252,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible