The Photography Book by Editors of Phaidon…

The Photography Book (edition 2000)

by Editors of Phaidon Press (Author)

Member:EllenOrange
Title:The Photography Book
Authors:Editors of Phaidon Press (Author)
Info:Phaidon Press (2000), Edition: Miniature ed, 520 pages

The Photography Book by Editors of Phaidon Press

Recently added byNik_Vod, private library, Ludo-Berghs, kmfiske, RWAbington, VSCRedMillArt, pst, Sylak

English (8)  Dutch (2)  All languages (10)
great book. very small print! i learned a lot. ( )
  mahallett | Apr 9, 2017 |
This immense compilation gives one page to each photographer represented with a short paragraph and one image well reproduced (both color and black and white as most representative. Those included are chose broadly from the history of photography and its international activity.
  j-b-colson | Oct 9, 2013 |
Is it strange to put this as a book I'm reading? Well, no...I guess not. You see, for each quintessential photograph picked by photographers ranging from quite famous (Henri Cartier Bresson to more obscure ones), there is a description of why the photo is important, the circumstances of it, and a bit about the photographer her or himself. I probably wouldn't have picked up the monstrosity had I not found it used at Myopic Books for twenty bucks. It's arranged alphabetically and I'm proud to say that even though I'm reading other things, packing, and often found at funerals these days, I am up to letter D!

Some of my favorites (besides the obvious):

Jane Evelyn Atwood
Bevila
Carlo Catari
Bill Brandt
  kirstiecat | Mar 31, 2013 |
I won't pretend to have read this from cover to cover, but rather I have dipped into it, which I think is the idea with this type of book.

500 photographers have a page each, consisting of a key photograph with a description of both the image and that photographer's work in general. There are cross-referencing suggestions of other photographers, either from the same movement, working in a similar style or covering a similar subject matter.

Obviously with any book like this, there willl seem to be some omissions - if I was compiling such a book Terenence Donavan and Brian Duffy would be in there with their contemporary David Bailey, but that might just be my 1960s obsession. I would have also included John Hinde, but again that might be a British bias. And Mick Rock and Anton Corbin? But this is just my personal (and fairly limited knowledge) and there are some interesting inclusions such as Neil Armstrong's photograph of Buzz Aldrin on the moon, surely one of the most iconic images of all time, and the photograph of the mushroom cloud. ( )
  sanddancer | Oct 23, 2010 |
A wonderful introduction to the world of photography and photography as art. I am relatively new to this and wanted to find out more about existing photographers and The Photo Book has certainly acheived this and more.

Running in alphabetical order, the book presents a vast array of photographers using one of their photographs and providing an explanation of the artists presentation, way of working and information on the photograph itself.

Well presented, and easy to dip in and out of, the book has certainly brought to my attention a substantial array of photographers whom I had never heard but have since gone on to find out more about and view their work in more depth. ( )
  lilywren | Mar 10, 2010 |

Editors of Phaidon Pressprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ian, JeffreyAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
The photography book takes us on a journey through familiar and strange moments in time, immortalized by great, unknown and innovative photographers from around the world.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 071483937X, Paperback)

The concept for this book is simple: 500 photographers, 500 pages. Arranged alphabetically, each of the photographers--from contemporary Dutch cameraman Hans Aarsman to mid-century New York shutterbug James Van Der Zee--gets a full, oversized page. On it is a large, expertly reproduced image and a concise caption packed with information about the photographer and his or her work. The coincidental alignment of photos of different eras and aesthetic sensibilities provides unusual and exciting contrasts that add an extra dimension to readers' perception of the work. Rineke Dijkstra's color-saturated shot of a bikini-clad beachgoer in South Carolina faces a Mike Disfarmer portrait of a rural Arkansas couple in 1943. Imogen Cunningham's inimitable Nude is here, along with a more surprising image--My Mother, Bolton Abbey, Yorkshire, a color-photo collage by painter David Hockney. With iconic photographs like Alfred Eisenstaedt's shot of a sailor and a nurse kissing in Times Square on V-J Day, historic ones like Larry Burrows's shot of wounded U.S. soldiers in Vietnam, and pop images like David LaChapelle's picture of a bodybuilder posing amid a cluster of little boys aping his stance, the scope of this visual encyclopedia is truly epic. And with its incredibly low price tag, there's no better value out there for fans of photography.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:04 -0400)

It brings together 500 images of famous events and people, landscapes, historic moments, sport, wildlife, and fashion.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 071483937X, 0714844888

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,440,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible