Déjà Dead by Kathy Reichs

Déjà Dead (1997)

by Kathy Reichs

Series: Temperance Brennan (1)

English (96)  German (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (99)
A dead woman is found partially disjointed and in a state of advanced decomposition. So, Doctor Temperance Brennan gets called in.

Temperance is a forensic anthropologist. So basically she's a sort of Medical Examiner who works on very, very decomposed bodies (or bodies who otherwise don't have anything but bones), and finds cause of death or even who the person is (or at least facts about age, height, sex, weight, etc.) from the bones.

She has a daughter, a mostly ex-husband, and she also managed to live both in Montreal Canada and work with the ME there, as well as work in North Carolina as a professor and Forensic Anthropologist down here as well. (Although this book was only set in Canada).

It was interesting how much back story Reichs got into this first novel in the series, and for the most part it didn't feel forced.

The plot was a bit heavy on the foreshadowing, but the amazing characterization of the characters was awesome. Especially Detective Luc Claudel's story line, which was masterfully weaved through the entire plot of the novel and managed not to fall into cliches either.

A great start to an interesting (if gruesome) forensic mystery series. ( )
  DanieXJ | Jul 21, 2014 |
Temperance Brennan is the ideal main character to build a crime series around. Strong but flawed, Tempe shows the reader all sides in Deja Dead. Avoiding the heavily mined ground of detective leads, Reichs provides us the unique perspective of a forensic pathologist, which I thoroughly enjoyed for the educational value alone. But Reichs doesn't stop there. All of her characters are interesting and memorable. Strong dialog and turbulent relationships keep things entertaining and the pursuit of the killer is engaging and authentic.

I am completely hooked on this series and am really looking forward to reading and collecting all of the installments - 17 and counting as of this review. Reichs has created a really gripping series with a wonderful lead character. I can't wait to read the next one. ( )
  csayban | Jun 7, 2014 |
The first of the Temperance Brennan novels, like many probably I came to this by enjoying the TV show Bones. This is not the same. The Temperance Brennan here us an older woman, separated from her husband, living and working part time in Quebec and in S. Carolina. This book, the first in the series, is set entirely in Canada. It introduces what will no doubt be a continuous cast if characters, including the obligatory brooding policeman/ to be lover. The story is good, if a little too long, and there's a fair amount of dry forensics, but it's well-written, the characters are complex, and still likeable, overall a respectable debut and a cut above average for mystery novels. ( )
  NellieMc | Jun 4, 2014 |
This book was well paced and the characters were well defined and it didn't feel like the book stopped or slowed down at any point, unlike it's sequel which felt like it dragged. The starting hook was quick and really I was interested in seeing what happened next all the way to the end. ( )
  Maverynthia | May 5, 2014 |
Listened to the abridged version via e-audiobook and realized once again why I don't care for abridged versions of stories. The depth of reader involvement is missing when so many scenes and characters are glossed over.

On top of that, Amy Irving gave a rather somnolent reading which failed to add to the intensity or my interest in the book. ( )
  ChrisNorbury | Apr 17, 2014 |

Kathy Reichsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jääskeläinen, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sirola, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Karl and Marta Reichs, the two kindest and most generous people I know. Paldies par jusu milestibu, Vecamamma un Paps.

Karlis Reichs 1914-1996
I wasn't thinking about the man who'd blown himself up. Earlier I had. Now I was putting him together.

Forensic pathologist, Tempe Brennan plans a quiet weekend. Duty calls, however, when body parts surface. They eerily remind Tempe of an unsolved case - the torture and murder of a 16-year old girl several years earlier. Tempe suspects a link between the two, maybe even a serial killer, but the police remain skeptical.

A killer in Montreal is murdering and dismembering women, and police are getting nowhere. Forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan, a middle-aged lady from North Carolina, goes after him herself.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,918,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible