Déjà Dead by Kathy Reichs

Déjà Dead (1997)

by Kathy Reichs

Series: A Temperance Brennan Novel (1)

English (103)  German (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (106)
4.5 stars. Dark, gory, realistic, deeply disturbing and seeping with mystery and twists. Tempe takes on on a medical anthropologists journey through some very nasty and too close for comfort cases she is involved in. We live every detail with her, all the descriptions graphically described and discussed. Yes, I enjoyed it thoroughly, even if it left my with an upset stomach.
My first reading of this author. I will read her work again, but I don't think I'll rush out to get it. I need a break. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Neat to read about the place I'm living now. ( )
  AmieB7 | Jan 21, 2016 |
While I'm not a fan of "book Tempe" when compared to "TV Tempe," Reichs writes a novel that is hard to put down. I won't compare the books with the TV show because that isn't fair to either media. Plus, I recently sat in a lecture by Reichs and she will clearly tell you the characters are not the same (almost alternate realities, really).

I have a few issues with the book and with Reichs. Reasons that compel me to not rate the book higher, despite her ability to suck me into the story.

1. Reichs uses rather derogatory terms and descriptions for fat people. It's uncomfortable to read. This leaves me feeling...not unclean, but close.
2. The overly descriptive paragraphs that never seem to end.
3. TSTL syndrome. Everytime she does something that is REALLY stupid (like cheerleader checking out the basement stupid) she has a rationalization. ( )
  lesmel | Dec 31, 2015 |
The first thing I suggest before reading this book, which inspired the TV show, Bones, is to completely separate the two in your mind. I love the show, and had heard it varied greatly from Reichs' books, therefore I was hesitant to pick them up. But, my curiosity (thankfully) got the best of me and I decided to go into Deja Vu with my mind a blank slate.

The story revolves around Dr. Temperance Brennan, a forensic anthropologist, who transplanted from North Carolina to Montreal. Here, she is thrust into the search for a killer, working with the Montreal police (who seem a bit chauvinistic) to try and find justice. Throughout the book Brennan tends to go off on her own, without police protection, in order to gather more clues or flush out leads and ideas she has. Part of this is due to the fact that (many of) the detectives do not take her seriously; however, there were times I was smacking my forehead wondering why she'd do something so foolish. Still, she discovers evidence and information that proved vital to the investigation. As the killer gets more bold, the stakes rise and soon it is Brennan who is in danger.

I thoroughly enjoyed the cast of characters and hope to see them in the next book. Their wry humor fits nicely with the police and crime scene setting. Brennan's internal dialogue touched on an array of topics from sports to religion to literature. It makes her character so much more multi-dimensional than if she was only strictly a brain. My favorite are all of the random sport cliches she throws in to motivate herself.

Deja Vutakes place in 1994 and you are thrown back to a time where there are no cell phones or internet (except for university email that is rarely used). It is an added frustration and common occurrence that no one can ever be reached by phone. The earlier invention of the cell phone could have saved them from so many issues!

I had no problem delving into Deja Vu and devouring the world and mysteries Reichs had created. I actually enjoyed how different it is from Bones as I felt I was reading something entirely new and had no need to compare the nuances of the two. ( )
  Kristymk18 | Nov 12, 2015 |

Jääskeläinen, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shokoff, ElisaProducer & directorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sirola, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Truett, GeorgeAbridgersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Karl and Marta Reichs, the two kindest and most generous people I know. Paldies par jusu milestibu, Vecamamma un Paps.

Karlis Reichs 1914-1996
I wasn't thinking about the man who'd blown himself up. Earlier I had. Now I was putting him together.

Forensic pathologist, Tempe Brennan plans a quiet weekend. Duty calls, however, when body parts surface. They eerily remind Tempe of an unsolved case - the torture and murder of a 16-year old girl several years earlier. Tempe suspects a link between the two, maybe even a serial killer, but the police remain skeptical.

A killer in Montreal is murdering and dismembering women, and police are getting nowhere. Forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan, a middle-aged lady from North Carolina, goes after him herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,189,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible