Déjà Dead by Kathy Reichs

Déjà Dead (1997)

by Kathy Reichs

Series: A Temperance Brennan Novel (1)

English (100)  German (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (103)
The first thing I suggest before reading this book, which inspired the TV show, Bones, is to completely separate the two in your mind. I love the show, and had heard it varied greatly from Reichs' books, therefore I was hesitant to pick them up. But, my curiosity (thankfully) got the best of me and I decided to go into Deja Vu with my mind a blank slate.

The story revolves around Dr. Temperance Brennan, a forensic anthropologist, who transplanted from North Carolina to Montreal. Here, she is thrust into the search for a killer, working with the Montreal police (who seem a bit chauvinistic) to try and find justice. Throughout the book Brennan tends to go off on her own, without police protection, in order to gather more clues or flush out leads and ideas she has. Part of this is due to the fact that (many of) the detectives do not take her seriously; however, there were times I was smacking my forehead wondering why she'd do something so foolish. Still, she discovers evidence and information that proved vital to the investigation. As the killer gets more bold, the stakes rise and soon it is Brennan who is in danger.

I thoroughly enjoyed the cast of characters and hope to see them in the next book. Their wry humor fits nicely with the police and crime scene setting. Brennan's internal dialogue touched on an array of topics from sports to religion to literature. It makes her character so much more multi-dimensional than if she was only strictly a brain. My favorite are all of the random sport cliches she throws in to motivate herself.

Deja Vutakes place in 1994 and you are thrown back to a time where there are no cell phones or internet (except for university email that is rarely used). It is an added frustration and common occurrence that no one can ever be reached by phone. The earlier invention of the cell phone could have saved them from so many issues!

I had no problem delving into Deja Vu and devouring the world and mysteries Reichs had created. I actually enjoyed how different it is from Bones as I felt I was reading something entirely new and had no need to compare the nuances of the two. ( )
  Kristymk18 | Nov 12, 2015 |
  rouzejp | Sep 2, 2015 |
The books is one of the from which the TV sjhow, Bones, was adapted. Temperance's marriage is in shambles and she has gone to Quebec to explore the city. She finds herself involved in trying to solve the brutal murders of several females. (Very different from the TV series.) ( )
  creighley | Aug 23, 2015 |
Though at times formulaic and shallow, "Deja Dead" remains an enjoyable summer read for fans of the television series "Bones." It is interesting to compare the televised series with the first written novel, analyzing various characters and their potential. Perhaps like the televised series, the characters grow on the reader and become more substantial with each novel. ( )
  Meghanista | Jun 3, 2015 |
A dead woman is found partially disjointed and in a state of advanced decomposition. So, Doctor Temperance Brennan gets called in.

Temperance is a forensic anthropologist. So basically she's a sort of Medical Examiner who works on very, very decomposed bodies (or bodies who otherwise don't have anything but bones), and finds cause of death or even who the person is (or at least facts about age, height, sex, weight, etc.) from the bones.

She has a daughter, a mostly ex-husband, and she also managed to live both in Montreal Canada and work with the ME there, as well as work in North Carolina as a professor and Forensic Anthropologist down here as well. (Although this book was only set in Canada).

It was interesting how much back story Reichs got into this first novel in the series, and for the most part it didn't feel forced.

The plot was a bit heavy on the foreshadowing, but the amazing characterization of the characters was awesome. Especially Detective Luc Claudel's story line, which was masterfully weaved through the entire plot of the novel and managed not to fall into cliches either.

A great start to an interesting (if gruesome) forensic mystery series. ( )
  DanieXJ | Jul 21, 2014 |

Jääskeläinen, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shokoff, ElisaProducer & directorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sirola, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Truett, GeorgeAbridgersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Karl and Marta Reichs, the two kindest and most generous people I know. Paldies par jusu milestibu, Vecamamma un Paps.

Karlis Reichs 1914-1996
I wasn't thinking about the man who'd blown himself up. Earlier I had. Now I was putting him together.

Forensic pathologist, Tempe Brennan plans a quiet weekend. Duty calls, however, when body parts surface. They eerily remind Tempe of an unsolved case - the torture and murder of a 16-year old girl several years earlier. Tempe suspects a link between the two, maybe even a serial killer, but the police remain skeptical.

A killer in Montreal is murdering and dismembering women, and police are getting nowhere. Forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan, a middle-aged lady from North Carolina, goes after him herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,860,157 books! | Top bar: Always visible