Déjà Dead by Kathy Reichs

Déjà Dead (1997)

by Kathy Reichs

Series: A Temperance Brennan Novel (1)

English (105)  German (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (108)
I've been on a rough ride with my mystery books this week. Kathy Reich has crafted a highly intelligent thriller with very realistic detail when it comes to the forensic science of the investigation. I'm curious about Tempe and sense the sadness in her over her recent divorce. Despite her personal difficulties, she's a brilliant forensic anthropologist and makes fantastic contributions to the investigating crime team, even though the men seemed to be dismissive more often than not. It took a bit to warm up to Ryan, but in the end I could appreciate both Ryan and Claudel.

I've never watched the TV series "Bones" (hey...I'm a bookworm, okay?) so I can't speak to any comparisons, but the actual plot and execution of the actual story was excellent. I don't mind all the French, it provided a unique feel for the Montreal setting. What killed things for me? All the unnecessary descriptive text that made this painful to finish. It cost this book severely. Otherwise, it could've easily been a five star read. After finishing the book, I learned there is an abridged audio version, which is equal to about 170 pages, therefore eliminating all that wordiness.

I'm sure Ms. Reichs has grown immensely in her writing skills since this was first written and the series has come to be very successful. I'll continue to read her work, but will avoid unabridged versions until I get to more current books. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
I arrived late to the party of fans of this author. This is a good mystery starring Tempe Brennan, forensic anthropologist. I'll definitely read more. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 15, 2016 |
4.5 stars. Dark, gory, realistic, deeply disturbing and seeping with mystery and twists. Tempe takes on on a medical anthropologists journey through some very nasty and too close for comfort cases she is involved in. We live every detail with her, all the descriptions graphically described and discussed. Yes, I enjoyed it thoroughly, even if it left my with an upset stomach.
My first reading of this author. I will read her work again, but I don't think I'll rush out to get it. I need a break. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Neat to read about the place I'm living now. ( )
  AmieB7 | Jan 21, 2016 |
While I'm not a fan of "book Tempe" when compared to "TV Tempe," Reichs writes a novel that is hard to put down. I won't compare the books with the TV show because that isn't fair to either media. Plus, I recently sat in a lecture by Reichs and she will clearly tell you the characters are not the same (almost alternate realities, really).

I have a few issues with the book and with Reichs. Reasons that compel me to not rate the book higher, despite her ability to suck me into the story.

1. Reichs uses rather derogatory terms and descriptions for fat people. It's uncomfortable to read. This leaves me feeling...not unclean, but close.
2. The overly descriptive paragraphs that never seem to end.
3. TSTL syndrome. Everytime she does something that is REALLY stupid (like cheerleader checking out the basement stupid) she has a rationalization. ( )
  lesmel | Dec 31, 2015 |

Jääskeläinen, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shokoff, ElisaProducer & directorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sirola, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Truett, GeorgeAbridgersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Karl and Marta Reichs, the two kindest and most generous people I know. Paldies par jusu milestibu, Vecamamma un Paps.

Karlis Reichs 1914-1996
I wasn't thinking about the man who'd blown himself up. Earlier I had. Now I was putting him together.

In the year since Tempe left behind a shaky marriage in North Carolina, work had often preempted her weekend plans to explore Quebec. But when an unidentified female corpse is discovered meticulously dismembered and stashed in garbage bags, Tempe detects an alarming pattern within the grisly handiwork--and she plunges into a harrowing search for a killer in the city's winding streets. With little help from the police, Tempe calls on her expertise, honed in the isolated intensity of the autopsy suite. But her investigation is about to place those closest to her--her best friend and her own daughter--in mortal danger....

A killer in Montreal is murdering and dismembering women, and police are getting nowhere. Forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan, a middle-aged lady from North Carolina, goes after him herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,827,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible