Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

Green Eggs and Ham (1960)

by Dr. Seuss

English (460)  Spanish (1)  All (461)
A classic children's book by a wonderful, whimsical man that I would still read to my own students. A book that is so unique in the story line, with unique and imaginative illustrations, it relays the the well known message of "not judging a book by it's cover". An important lesson to teach to children at a young age, especially with the growing diversity of our country's population and current prejudices surrounding people of articular skin colors, race, or lineage. This story, although most likely just read for fun by teachers and parents, could definitely be used to teach lessons about being open minded and withholding initial judgement of others. ( )
  gabitouriel | Feb 23, 2017 |
This book would be good for beginning readers in younger grades like kindergarten and first grade. In first grade this would be a good book for reading groups where the students would be starting to read on their own since this book has rhyming and repetition making it easier for students to remember words and phrases. This would also be a good book to do a lesson with trying new things, especially with younger kids, trying new things is often scary or unappealing so this could be helpful in showing that good things can come from trying new things.
  LizaTibbs | Feb 19, 2017 |
In the story “Green Eggs and Ham”, a character named Sam, tries to convince his friend to try green eggs and ham. His friend refuses and refuses until finally he gets so annoyed with Sam that he tries it. The central message of this story is to try things despite its look. Dr. Seuss tries to remind his readers to never judge a book by its cover. At the end of the story, when Sam’s friend tries green eggs and ham, he realizes that he loves it! ( )
  arianacassiere | Feb 16, 2017 |
This book is about a character named Sam- I am trying to get an unnamed character to try green eggs and ham. The unnamed character refuses over and over again, until the end of the book he finally tries it and he ends up liking it. ( )
  Hollizphil | Feb 9, 2017 |
This book is a great fantasy book because it allows a child to explore their imagination. The images in this story are very engaging as well as the rhyming of words. The setting, characters and plot all make up for a great fantasy book. ( )
  mcortner15 | Feb 5, 2017 |
The book Green Eggs and Ham is written by Dr. Seuss and is included in the 100 great books for 100 years. The book can be a great way to work on repetition and rhyming words. The themes in this book are great to encourage children to not be afraid to try new things

I am Sam.
Do you like green eggs and ham?
I do not like them, Sam-I-am. I do not like green eggs and ham.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800168, Hardcover)

This timeless Dr. Seuss classic was first published in 1960, and has been delighting readers ever since. Sam-I-am is as persistent as a telemarketer, changing as many variables as possible in the hopes of convincing the nameless skeptic that green eggs and ham are a delicacy to be savored. He tries every manner of presentation with this "nouveau cuisine"--in a house, with a mouse, in a box, with a fox, with a goat, on a boat--to no avail. Then finally, finally the doubter caves under the tremendous pressure exerted by the tireless Sam-I-am. And guess what? Well, you probably know what happens, but even after reading Green Eggs and Ham the thousandth time, the climactic realization that green eggs and ham are "so good, so good, you see" is still a rush. As usual, kids will love Dr. Seuss's wacky rhymes and whimsical illustrations--and this time, they might even be so moved as to finally take a taste of their broccoli. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:30 -0400)

In verse, Sam-I-am tells of the virtues of green eggs and ham.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,677,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible