Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

Green Eggs and Ham (1960)

by Dr. Seuss

Recently added byprivate library, karinamentz, dovegirl, thallada, gvclibrarian, BHelf1, lconiglio, heinzehomeschool, arpballew, sikoop
Legacy LibrariesAyn Rand

English (476)  Spanish (1)  All (477)
Of course I have enjoyed this book since I was a child. However, I now know why I was so intrigued by this book since I was a young reader. The language in this story is very repetitive making it easy for a young reader to inference and read the story. The characters in this story repeat a few phrases multiple times throughout the story. For example, “Do you like green eggs and ham?” and “ I do not like them Sam-I-am. I do not like green eggs and ham.” Clearly from these examples one could also see the language also has a lot of rhyming, which also helps children read easily. This book also introduces early concepts of rhyming to children as well. I enjoy the plot of this story as well. The theme of the story teaches children to don’t judge something if you have never tried it. This is because Sam is trying to get the other main character to try green eggs and ham throughout the whole story. The main character refuses to try them with just the sight of them, no matter what it is paired with, throughout the whole story. Finally at the end he gives in and actually enjoys them. This shows kids to never judge a book by its cover, which is a great lesson to learn. ( )
  AlyssaBroaddus | Apr 18, 2017 |
Green Eggs and Ham is a short work of fiction by legendary kids book author Dr. Seuss, in which a very persistent Sam-I-Am repeatedly asks his unnamed friend, in a multiplicity of ways, whether his friend would like ham accompanied by, of all things, green eggs ( )
  SaraLancon | Apr 17, 2017 |
The Greatest American Novel Ever Written. My Favorite Book of All Time. That Sam I Am, That Sam I Am, I Love to Read about that Sam I Am.
  resuttor76 | Apr 17, 2017 |
Great rhyming book to show how something being different doesn't mean it's bad. Classic book for kids to read aloud and quote. One of the most iconic children's books out there. ( )
  GaryJohnson5 | Apr 16, 2017 |
This is one of my favorite books. I love all the different ways and locations Sam comes up with. This book is about Sam trying to convince an unnamed character to try green eggs and ham. Sam give many different places and location for the unnamed character to try the delicacy. Sam keeps trying and trying until the character gives in and tries the delicacy. The character ends up loving the delicacy. He then says he will eat them in all the different places and situations. Teachers can make sequence cards with their students. Teachers can also sort and match riming words along with synonyms and antonyms. ( )
  Jennifer_McLeod | Apr 16, 2017 |
A classic children's book by a wonderful, whimsical man that I would still read to my own students. A book that is so unique in the story line, with unique and imaginative illustrations, it relays the the well known message of "not judging a book by it's cover". An important lesson to teach to children at a young age, especially with the growing diversity of our country's population and current prejudices surrounding people of articular skin colors, race, or lineage. This story, although most likely just read for fun by teachers and parents, could definitely be used to teach lessons about being open minded and withholding initial judgement of others.

The book "Green Egg's and Ham" is about a picky little critter that refuses to eat the green eggs and ham that are being offered to him. He refuses and refuses where ever he is and absolutely will not eat the green eggs and ham. He does not like the looks of the meal and has made a decision that it does not taste good before he even tries it. Finally, the little critter tries the green eggs and ham and enjoys it. The central message of this story is that if we give things a chance and try them that we might actually enjoy them. There are things in life that are different or may seem odd to us, but if we make decisions that aren't always easy, we may find that we love something.

The book Green Eggs and Ham is written by Dr. Seuss and is included in the 100 great books for 100 years. The book can be a great way to work on repetition and rhyming words. The themes in this book are great to encourage children to not be afraid to try new things

I am Sam.
Do you like green eggs and ham?
I do not like them, Sam-I-am. I do not like green eggs and ham.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800168, Hardcover)

This timeless Dr. Seuss classic was first published in 1960, and has been delighting readers ever since. Sam-I-am is as persistent as a telemarketer, changing as many variables as possible in the hopes of convincing the nameless skeptic that green eggs and ham are a delicacy to be savored. He tries every manner of presentation with this "nouveau cuisine"--in a house, with a mouse, in a box, with a fox, with a goat, on a boat--to no avail. Then finally, finally the doubter caves under the tremendous pressure exerted by the tireless Sam-I-am. And guess what? Well, you probably know what happens, but even after reading Green Eggs and Ham the thousandth time, the climactic realization that green eggs and ham are "so good, so good, you see" is still a rush. As usual, kids will love Dr. Seuss's wacky rhymes and whimsical illustrations--and this time, they might even be so moved as to finally take a taste of their broccoli. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:30 -0400)

In verse, Sam-I-am tells of the virtues of green eggs and ham.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,886,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible