Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

Green Eggs and Ham (1960)

by Dr. Seuss

English (466)  Spanish (1)  All (467)
In my opinion I enjoyed Fox in Sox by Dr. Seuss and I would say that it is a great book for children to read. Dr. Seuss uses rhymes, bright colors, and large detailed pictures of the characters. The illustrations cover the entire page if not at least half. Each page has a new rhyme using the words from the title. For example, on page four and five Dr. Seuss writes, “Socks on Knox and Knox in box. Fox in socks on box in Knox.” Young kids especially enjoy hearing or doing things that are repetitive. This book could be used to involve children in reading and is a great tool for them to pick up sight words. The colors stay the same corresponding to the original color of the character for example, the Fox from the story is red and wears blue socks throughout the entire book. The Knox character stays yellow the entire time. This allows children to make connections about characters throughout the book. The setting in the story also stays the same throughout the book with a blue background for the sky and a white ground. I enjoy reading Dr. Seuss books especially those full of tongue twisters such as Fox in Sox. ( )
  staylo34 | Mar 26, 2017 |
A character named Sam annoys a character to try a plate of green eggs and ham. The unnamed character refuses. Throughout the story he continues to tell Sam he does not like green eggs and ham as Sam repeatedly follows him. Finally, the unnamed character gives in to Sam and tries the green eggs and ham which he ends up liking after all. The central message of this story is you never know you will like or not like something unless you try it first. ( )
  KatieSauter | Mar 23, 2017 |
The book "Green Egg's and Ham" is about a picky little critter that refuses to eat the green eggs and ham that are being offered to him. He refuses and refuses where ever he is and absolutely will not eat the green eggs and ham. He does not like the looks of the meal and has made a decision that it does not taste good before he even tries it. Finally, the little critter tries the green eggs and ham and enjoys it. The central message of this story is that if we give things a chance and try them that we might actually enjoy them. There are things in life that are different or may seem odd to us, but if we make decisions that aren't always easy, we may find that we love something. ( )
  BrianRatliff | Mar 15, 2017 |
In the book, Green Eggs and Ham, there is a character, Sam-I-Am, that just wants to share his green eggs and ham. He continues to batter a man asking him to just try his green eggs and ham. Reluctant to do so, the man continues to tell Sam-I-Am that he does not like green eggs and ham and he does not want them. Finally after Sam-I-Am continued to bother the man, he finally tried the green eggs and ham. He ended up loving the green eggs and ham and actually wants more. The central message in this story is to not be so stubborn and go outside the box. Do something you wouldn't do and break out of your shell! ( )
  OliviaRubino | Mar 14, 2017 |
Summary:
Sam I am tries to convince the man to eat green eggs and ham. This rhyming book is very whimsical and Sam I am asks in every way if the man would ever like green eggs and ham. "I do not like them here or there. I do not like them anywhere. I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them, Sam-I-Am."
Comments:
This book was my favorite as a kid and with its rhyming and repetition I was able to learn how to read. It was my first book to read all the way through.
I think that this should be a book shared with all students, its theme of don't be afraid to try new things is one all parents want there children to learn. ( )
  JuliaTrinchero | Mar 5, 2017 |
A classic children's book by a wonderful, whimsical man that I would still read to my own students. A book that is so unique in the story line, with unique and imaginative illustrations, it relays the the well known message of "not judging a book by it's cover". An important lesson to teach to children at a young age, especially with the growing diversity of our country's population and current prejudices surrounding people of articular skin colors, race, or lineage. This story, although most likely just read for fun by teachers and parents, could definitely be used to teach lessons about being open minded and withholding initial judgement of others.

The book Green Eggs and Ham is written by Dr. Seuss and is included in the 100 great books for 100 years. The book can be a great way to work on repetition and rhyming words. The themes in this book are great to encourage children to not be afraid to try new things

I am Sam.
Do you like green eggs and ham?
I do not like them, Sam-I-am. I do not like green eggs and ham.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800168, Hardcover)

This timeless Dr. Seuss classic was first published in 1960, and has been delighting readers ever since. Sam-I-am is as persistent as a telemarketer, changing as many variables as possible in the hopes of convincing the nameless skeptic that green eggs and ham are a delicacy to be savored. He tries every manner of presentation with this "nouveau cuisine"--in a house, with a mouse, in a box, with a fox, with a goat, on a boat--to no avail. Then finally, finally the doubter caves under the tremendous pressure exerted by the tireless Sam-I-am. And guess what? Well, you probably know what happens, but even after reading Green Eggs and Ham the thousandth time, the climactic realization that green eggs and ham are "so good, so good, you see" is still a rush. As usual, kids will love Dr. Seuss's wacky rhymes and whimsical illustrations--and this time, they might even be so moved as to finally take a taste of their broccoli. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:30 -0400)

In verse, Sam-I-am tells of the virtues of green eggs and ham.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,280,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible