Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

Green Eggs and Ham (1960)

by Dr. Seuss

8,509None360 (4.33)108
children (278) children's (441) children's book (65) children's books (70) children's fiction (67) children's literature (130) classic (126) classics (43) Dr. Seuss (571) early reader (57) easy reader (92) eggs (99) fantasy (66) fiction (397) food (220) funny (45) green (44) ham (91) hardcover (60) humor (130) juvenile (39) kids (73) picture book (358) poetry (188) read (71) rhyme (177) rhymes (63) rhyming (293) Seuss (272) trying new things (55)

I would give this to beginner readers, and it is also a very interactive activity to do with your students. ( )
  ARamirez33 | Mar 30, 2014 |
I really enjoyed reading this book because I thought that the way it is written was extremely engaging. The whole story is written with a rhyme scheme such as " I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them, Sam-I-Am," and " I do so like green eggs and ham. Thank you. Thank you, Sam- I- Am." This makes the story easy for children learning to read because they can easily pick up on how the words in the next sentence should sound. The story is also very humorous. For example, Sam- I- Am asks the character to sample the food in various random places. Some of these include, in a box, tree, or car. The story has a nice message which I think is very relatable to young children - you never know until you try. Young children often have difficulty trying new foods in particular that don't look appetizing, so reading this book might help them overcome this fear.
  dcully1 | Mar 5, 2014 |
In my opinion this book is fabulous. I find that the way it is written is extremely engaging. The whole story is written in rhyme in lines such as " I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them, Sam-I-Am," and " I do so like green eggs and ham. Thank you. Thank you, Sam- I- Am." This makes the story flow really nicely. The story also has some humor. For example, Sam- I- Am asks the character to sample the food in various random places. Some of these include, in a box, tree, or car. The book is overall silly, but has a nice message; you never know until you try. This is encouraging to young children to try new things, regardless if they do not seem appetizing at first. ( )
  jsanfi1 | Feb 27, 2014 |
In my opinion this is a classic book. Definitely one of my all time favorite books to read when I was a child. I love how this book has only two characters and yet the story is so fun to read. There are some additional characters such as the fox,house,box, mouse, goat and boat but basically the entire conversation is between the unnamed character and Sam I am. This book is also a rhyming book (abc)and a poem because each page is a little conversation written in a poem form. The two characters are so funny and well developed from the author that make this sorry a classic. Like I stated earlier the writing is very organized and there is not a lot of writing in each page. It is small enough to keep the reader interested. The illustrations are also a big part of this book. I like how colorful and easy to see they are and make the story so much better. The big idea of this story is about green eggs and ham and how delicious they are. ( )
  dtato1 | Feb 13, 2014 |
Summary:
This book is about Sam-I-Am. He loves green eggs and ham and tries to get another character, whose name is never said, to eat the green eggs and ham. They move from location to location, and each time Sam asks his friend if he likes green eggs and ham, and each time his friend refuses. At the end of the book Sam-I-Am offers his friend some green eggs and ham one last time, and he finally agrees just to make Sam-I-Am leave him alone, but he actually ends up liking them.

Personal Reflection:
I loved this book. This was actually the first book that I learned to read by myself when I was younger. I thought it was funny because of the places they went.

Classroom Extension:
1. This would be a fun book to read on Dr. Seuss's birthday or during the week of his birthday.
2. You could make green eggs in class and then eat it for snack time.
  AndreaMcCormick | Feb 12, 2014 |

Dr. Seussprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alexander, JasonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcuse, Aída E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stip, KatjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westera, BetteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am Sam. Sam I am.
Do you like green eggs and ham?

העלילה כוללת שתי דמויות - סם בתרגום לעברית "שמי הוא שב" ודמות ששמה לא מוזכרת. סם הוא דמות אנרגטית ושמחה המנסה לשכנע את הדמות השנייה (העצבנית, רגזנית ודיכאונית) לאכול "ביצים וירך-חזיר ירוקים" - "green eggs and ham" בתרגום לעברית לא מוזכר המאכל. הדמות השנייה מסרבת לאכול את המאכל. סם מציע לאכול אותו במספר אתרים (בית, מכונית, צמרת עץ) ועם מבחר בעלי חיים שועל, ,תיש, עכבר.

בסיום הספר מסכימה הדמות השנייה לאכול את המאכל ומגלה שהיא אוהבת אותו.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800168, Hardcover)

This timeless Dr. Seuss classic was first published in 1960, and has been delighting readers ever since. Sam-I-am is as persistent as a telemarketer, changing as many variables as possible in the hopes of convincing the nameless skeptic that green eggs and ham are a delicacy to be savored. He tries every manner of presentation with this "nouveau cuisine"--in a house, with a mouse, in a box, with a fox, with a goat, on a boat--to no avail. Then finally, finally the doubter caves under the tremendous pressure exerted by the tireless Sam-I-am. And guess what? Well, you probably know what happens, but even after reading Green Eggs and Ham the thousandth time, the climactic realization that green eggs and ham are "so good, so good, you see" is still a rush. As usual, kids will love Dr. Seuss's wacky rhymes and whimsical illustrations--and this time, they might even be so moved as to finally take a taste of their broccoli. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:46 -0400)

Sam-I-Am tries to persuade his friend to try green eggs and ham.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,465,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible