Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

Green Eggs and Ham (1960)

by Dr. Seuss

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
Summary- Knox (from the Fox with Socks), tries to get Sam to try green eggs and ham. Sam refuses to eat the food, saying he does not like it, even though he has never eaten it before. Finally after some fun adventures, Sam agrees to try the food. After taking the first bight Sam realizes that he LOVES green eggs and ham.

Personal reaction- I am a huge fan of any book of Dr. Seuss. I remember being around four years old and my older brother reading this book to me. I really like this book and would use this book in my classroom. To be fair though I would use any Dr. Seuss book in my classroom. This book would be a great book to use when teaching rhyme.

Classroom extension-
1.“Try your own Green eggs and ham” Bring in green eggs and ham to school and allow the kids to try it.
2. “When I was Sam-I –am”. Have the students write about a time when they thought tthat they would hate something and actually loved it.
  Sarah0423 | Apr 15, 2015 |
Ok, this is a book that's fun to read to your kids over and over and over again. And if they get tired of it before you do, then make up variations, or act it out, or see if anyone has it memorized. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Summary of Book: This book is about Sam I Am. He does not like green eggs and ham. His friends tries to get him to eat green eggs and him but Sam I am refuses to eat them. He would not like green eggs and ham anywhere, not here nor there, not in a house and not with a mouse. He would not eat them in the dark, in the rain or not even on a train and not in a car. His friend finally gets Sam I am to try green eggs and ham. To discover he did like green eggs and ham and that he would eat them with all the things described in the story.

Personal Reaction: I have always enjoyed this book since I was growing up. The rhymes are so catchy. This book just goes to show the reader, you may think you don't like something but you will never know until you try it at least once.

Classroom Extension: 1) Make the students green eggs and ham.
2) Have the students write about in their journal if they liked green eggs and ham or why they didn't like green eggs and ham.
  ah932109 | Apr 11, 2015 |
Summary
Sam refuses to try green eggs and ham. The character tries to get him to try them in a boat, with a fox, and many other strange places. When he decides to try green eggs and ham he realizes he likes them. This book encourages readers to try new things.

Personal Reaction
I was a lot like Sam when I was a child. I did not like trying new things and missed out on a lot of great opportunities by being scared. I grew out of my fear and realized the things I feared the most I enjoy.

Extension Ideas
1.In the classroom we could eat green eggs and ham.
2.We could watch the video Green Eggs and Ham.
3.I could make an activity of the rhyming words in the story and the students would have to match the rhyming words.
  HaleyMcPherson | Apr 11, 2015 |
Definitely not a boring book. Something that I learned while reading this book is that repetition can be boring only if its written in a boring way. Also, Dr Seuss handle to use fifty different words. He repeated this fifty words over and over. For example, I am Sam, Sam I am and that Sam I am. Another great feature in this book is the symbolism used from beginning to end. This book is supposed to promote reading but at the beginning of the story we can see one of the characters trying to read a newspaper but a second character distracts him. It is not the newspaper itself that is meaningful, it is the way the character is reading it. You can see the look on his face, totally isolated from others. Is this what we what our readers to experienced when they read a book? Absolutely not! We want reading to be a pleasant and fun experience. ( )
  Sluper1 | Apr 7, 2015 |
I love this book it has lost of vibrant v colors and a good message to kids about trying something new even though it looks gross
added by samanthadawnn | editBook

Dr. Seussprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alexander, JasonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcuse, Aída E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stip, KatjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westera, BetteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am Sam.
Do you like green eggs and ham?

העלילה כוללת שתי דמויות - סם בתרגום לעברית "שמי הוא שב" ודמות ששמה לא מוזכרת. סם הוא דמות אנרגטית ושמחה המנסה לשכנע את הדמות השנייה (העצבנית, רגזנית ודיכאונית) לאכול "ביצים וירך-חזיר ירוקים" - "green eggs and ham" בתרגום לעברית לא מוזכר המאכל. הדמות השנייה מסרבת לאכול את המאכל. סם מציע לאכול אותו במספר אתרים (בית, מכונית, צמרת עץ) ועם מבחר בעלי חיים שועל, ,תיש, עכבר.

בסיום הספר מסכימה הדמות השנייה לאכול את המאכל ומגלה שהיא אוהבת אותו.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800168, Hardcover)

This timeless Dr. Seuss classic was first published in 1960, and has been delighting readers ever since. Sam-I-am is as persistent as a telemarketer, changing as many variables as possible in the hopes of convincing the nameless skeptic that green eggs and ham are a delicacy to be savored. He tries every manner of presentation with this "nouveau cuisine"--in a house, with a mouse, in a box, with a fox, with a goat, on a boat--to no avail. Then finally, finally the doubter caves under the tremendous pressure exerted by the tireless Sam-I-am. And guess what? Well, you probably know what happens, but even after reading Green Eggs and Ham the thousandth time, the climactic realization that green eggs and ham are "so good, so good, you see" is still a rush. As usual, kids will love Dr. Seuss's wacky rhymes and whimsical illustrations--and this time, they might even be so moved as to finally take a taste of their broccoli. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:46 -0400)

In verse, Sam-I-am tells of the virtues of green eggs and ham.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,699,378 books! | Top bar: Always visible