Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

Green Eggs and Ham (1960)

by Dr. Seuss

Recently added bySusanLong, LetoileFIS, Adurna101, cporte8, hownovel, agsmith, KDKat5, private library, jonnydoh

I think everyone that reads this book loves it. The pictures are outrageous as well as the storyline. To any child this book is very fun and engaging and it is an easy read. The moral of the story is to not judge a book by a cover. Meaning do not judge by what something looks like, because the inside of it is what really matters. I think all children love this book as much as I do. ( )
  Juliekessler1 | Sep 25, 2014 |
Summary
Sam I am is trying to get the main character to try Green Eggs and Ham. Sam chases him up and down in and out and around and around asking him to try green eggs and ham. Sam trys to get the main character to try green eggs and ham with everything. He refuses each and everytime. But in the end he gives in and ask Sam "If I try it will you let me be" and in that discovers that he really do like green eggs and ham.

Personal Reaction
This book is great when you are trying to get children to try new things. I remember this boook growing up and remember how Dr. Seuss always have a creative way of teaching things through his books. I love how Sam rhymes through out the book to get the main character to try green eggs and ham.
Classroom extension
1. I would read this book to the children right before we try a new food. I would talk about how trying new things can be enjoyable.
2. I would use this as part of a food activity for children. I would have children create something new and different and talk about what we are creating and how it is ok to try something new.
  theresa.moultrie | Sep 25, 2014 |
There are numerous reasons why I think “Green Eggs and Ham” is a great book. Green Eggs and Ham is a story about imagination. The story is funny, imaginative, and a great read for young students. The delightful writing style of Dr. Seuss is evident in the book. Simple rhyme schemes like fox and box, here and there, and see and tree help to make the story goofy. The vocabulary while simple, also can help students improve their own reading skills. The whimsical illustrations that accompany the poetry of Dr. Seuss is why this book is so great. The bright colors and drawings help to enhance and the simple but funny rhymes. I think that even though the rhymes are so simple they have a strong impact on the reader. “I do not like them here or there. I do not like them anywhere.” As a young reader I remember learning worlds like the noun there from books like Dr. Suess. That is why simple books like Green Eggs and Ham are so important. The big idea of the story is don't make up your mind about something without trying it
  dbaker16 | Sep 24, 2014 |
Try it, and you will like it. That was the big message at the end of this classic story. Dr. Seuss is known for his unique use of language. That remains true in this story, and draws me in as the reader. His repetition of certain words and phrases like “I would not” or “I do not,” and his nice flow he takes on interested me as a reader, because of the way he crafted certain words together. Dr. Seuss has a talent for taking ordinary words and crafting them in a way to make them interesting and that was exemplified through this story. “Would you? Could you? In a car? Eat them! Eat them! Here they are.” That example perfectly shows how Dr. Seuss took eleven simple words and made them into an interesting page in his story that flows like no other. The silly illustrations in the story keep me interested and help depict the story so I can visualize it better, otherwise I would have no clue how to picture green eggs and ham. I enjoyed this story as a child, and it continues to be my favorite Dr. Seuss book to this day. ( )
  cyoung23 | Sep 20, 2014 |
In my opinion, I think “Green Eggs and Ham” is an excellent book. The first reason I like the book is because of the pace of the story and the rhyming words throughout the story. The rhyming makes fluency easier for the young reader. Also the repetition of the rhymes enhances the telling of the story. The second reason it is one of my favorites is because it has humor. Sam-I-am chases the other main character throughout the story asking if he likes green eggs and ham. Sam-I-am follows him in cars, trains, up a tree, in the dark, in the rain, and several other silly places. The language in the story is very descriptive and the rhyming vocabulary is assorted. Some examples are tree, be, box, fox, mouse, house, there, anywhere, goat, boat, train, rain, say and may. I also like the book because there is irony at the end of the story. Sam-I-am finally gets the other character, who hates green eggs and ham, to try them. The character then realizes he does like green eggs and ham after all! The big idea of the story is “don’t knock it till you try it.” ( )
  kflach1 | Sep 19, 2014 |
I love this book it has lost of vibrant v colors and a good message to kids about trying something new even though it looks gross
added by samanthadawnn | editBook

Dr. Seussprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alexander, JasonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcuse, Aída E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stip, KatjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westera, BetteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am Sam.
Do you like green eggs and ham?

העלילה כוללת שתי דמויות - סם בתרגום לעברית "שמי הוא שב" ודמות ששמה לא מוזכרת. סם הוא דמות אנרגטית ושמחה המנסה לשכנע את הדמות השנייה (העצבנית, רגזנית ודיכאונית) לאכול "ביצים וירך-חזיר ירוקים" - "green eggs and ham" בתרגום לעברית לא מוזכר המאכל. הדמות השנייה מסרבת לאכול את המאכל. סם מציע לאכול אותו במספר אתרים (בית, מכונית, צמרת עץ) ועם מבחר בעלי חיים שועל, ,תיש, עכבר.

בסיום הספר מסכימה הדמות השנייה לאכול את המאכל ומגלה שהיא אוהבת אותו.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800168, Hardcover)

This timeless Dr. Seuss classic was first published in 1960, and has been delighting readers ever since. Sam-I-am is as persistent as a telemarketer, changing as many variables as possible in the hopes of convincing the nameless skeptic that green eggs and ham are a delicacy to be savored. He tries every manner of presentation with this "nouveau cuisine"--in a house, with a mouse, in a box, with a fox, with a goat, on a boat--to no avail. Then finally, finally the doubter caves under the tremendous pressure exerted by the tireless Sam-I-am. And guess what? Well, you probably know what happens, but even after reading Green Eggs and Ham the thousandth time, the climactic realization that green eggs and ham are "so good, so good, you see" is still a rush. As usual, kids will love Dr. Seuss's wacky rhymes and whimsical illustrations--and this time, they might even be so moved as to finally take a taste of their broccoli. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:46 -0400)

In verse, Sam-I-am tells of the virtues of green eggs and ham.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,976,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible