Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

Green Eggs and Ham (1960)

by Dr. Seuss

Recently added byfaylana.nap, chywatt, manda832, CherokeeDavies, c3miller7, JanaWillis, tinasha125, MaraJade151, private library, taraamber
Legacy LibrariesAyn Rand

English (407)  Spanish (1)  All languages (408)
This book in short is about a man who is being offered to try green eggs and ham by someone else. The man did not want to try the eggs and so he kept refusing. The man offering kept following him and bothering him, asking these silly questions about him refusing to eat the eggs and ham. After being pestered repeatedly by the man, the man rejecting the food decided to give it a try. He then realizes that he likes the green eggs and ham very much.

My reaction to this book was that I remembered all those days in elementary dedicated to celebrating and honoring Dr.Seuss's books. We would have the cat in the hat come into the classes and we would get to eat green eggs and ham while we had the books read to us. Also, seeing the publication of the book was something new to me. I never truly realized how old the story was.

This book, as I mentioned about remembering what we did with it when I was younger, has already proven the power of this book in the classroom. Even after all these years, the book and the festivities that followed were great enough to leave its memory. It gives the kids something fun to look forward to. Who wouldn't want to try some green eggs and ham while having the book read to us? Aside from that, the rhyming, although some words were definitely tricky for me when I was younger, can help the children to develop the ability to rhyme more efficiently.
  faylana.nap | Jul 26, 2016 |
Summary
The book is about a character named Sam-I-am who bothers another character to try his green eggs and ham. The character kept on refusing his offer. He is offered it in various different places. He then finally takes a bite and ended up liking them.

Reaction
I could relate to this book because growing up under an Asian household living in America, I would always refuse to eat my mothers cooking. Anything that looked weird, I would not try it. After maturing a little bit, and seeing others in my family enjoying the food, I finally decided to eat some. From then on, I would never judge anything by how it looks.

Extension
After reading the novel, children should be encourage to try something new everyday. For example, when taking them to the library, they should select a book that has a cover that doesn't interest them. They will be taught to never judge a book by its cover. ( )
  chywatt | Jul 25, 2016 |
Summary: This book talks about trying to get a kid to eat green eggs and ham. The child hates it and refuses over and over again. They beg him to and he still wont. They try and tell him how good it is and at the end of the book he finally decides to try it. He ended up loving it.

Personal Reaction: I loved this book. I remember reading this book as a child and I always have loved it. It is so fun to read and my daughter loves when I read it to her.

Classroom Extension: One classroom extension I would do would be to read the book aloud during story time. I would then give them a color sheet off eggs and ham to color green. Another extension I would do would be to make green deviled eggs at home and bring them to class the next day and allow the students to eat them for a snack if they wanted to. ( )
  CherokeeDavies | Jul 25, 2016 |
I read this little book in 1st grade. It was one of my first books, and one which helped teach me to read. ( )
  AveryBGoodman | Jun 26, 2016 |
Didn't like it as an adult and I doubt that I would have liked it as a child either. ( )
  Hellen0 | Jun 22, 2016 |
I am Sam.
Do you like green eggs and ham?
I do not like them, Sam-I-am. I do not like green eggs and ham.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800168, Hardcover)

This timeless Dr. Seuss classic was first published in 1960, and has been delighting readers ever since. Sam-I-am is as persistent as a telemarketer, changing as many variables as possible in the hopes of convincing the nameless skeptic that green eggs and ham are a delicacy to be savored. He tries every manner of presentation with this "nouveau cuisine"--in a house, with a mouse, in a box, with a fox, with a goat, on a boat--to no avail. Then finally, finally the doubter caves under the tremendous pressure exerted by the tireless Sam-I-am. And guess what? Well, you probably know what happens, but even after reading Green Eggs and Ham the thousandth time, the climactic realization that green eggs and ham are "so good, so good, you see" is still a rush. As usual, kids will love Dr. Seuss's wacky rhymes and whimsical illustrations--and this time, they might even be so moved as to finally take a taste of their broccoli. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:30 -0400)

In verse, Sam-I-am tells of the virtues of green eggs and ham.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,554,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible