Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

Green Eggs and Ham (1960)

by Dr. Seuss

Recently added bySberma5, RdeJonge, katieray, ohdrat, raydulany, Foodang, private library, CrookedLines, earlypreschool

Summary
Sam-I-Am asked his friend if he like green eggs and ham. His friend said he doesn't like green eggs and ham. Sam-I-Am then asked his friend if he would like them here or there and his friend said no again. Sam-I-Am is persistent and continues to ask his friend if he would try them different places, with different creatures, and doing different things and his friend keeps saying no. At the end his friend gives in and finally tries the green eggs and ham and he likes them! His friend likes them so much he would eat the anywhere, with anyone, and doing anything.

Personal reaction
I have always loved Dr. Suess and I own a lot of his books. The children loved this books and it really entertained them. But the thought of eating green eggs and ham disgusted them, when I asked them if they would try it. It would also be great for encouraging children to try new foods.

Extension
We read this book during the week of Dr. Seuss birthday so I would definitely do it again. We would make green eggs and ham for breakfast. We would do an art activity with a paper plate and green crayons, they could draw food on the plate. We could even talk about colors like what two colors make green.
  BrittanyCanales | Mar 26, 2015 |
Summary:
Green Eggs and Ham is story which begins with a small yellow character announcing his name is Sam. He continues to announce, “I am Sam” over and over again. Throughout the story Sam continues annoying the other character by asking him if he likes green eggs and ham. Sam finds different ways to offer the green eggs and ham for example, in a box, with a fox, in a house, with a mouse. The other character constantly refuses to try the green eggs and ham until at the end of the story he finally tries the food and discovers he likes it.

Personal Reaction:
I really enjoy reading this fantasy picture book to children. Allegory is used in this book because of the animal like characters used. The lesson the story conveys to children is one will never know if they like anything if they never try it, especially foods such as vegetables. My son and I often experiment with eggs to see what other colors we can make to go along with the green eggs and ham.

Classroom Extension Ideas: 1.) After reading the story, conduct a science experiment to show students how to turn yellow eggs green by using food coloring. After the eggs turn green, scramble them up with some ham chunks in an electric skillet for the students to eat and enjoy.
2.) Students can play a game similar to hot potato called pass the egg. Students use a spoon to pass green plastic eggs filled with rice. The student left holding the egg is out of the game until the last student is left standing.
3.) Students can make discovery bottles by using empty plastic water bottles. The teacher can fill the bottles with corn syrup and allow students to fill bottles with any green and yellow objects such as buttons, tiny toys, confetti, and small plastic eggs. Once the bottles are sealed at the top with hot glue, the students are allowed to hold the bottles upside down and watch how the corn syrup and toys slowly go back and forth.
  YolandaFelton | Mar 26, 2015 |
Green Eggs and Ham is one of my childhood favorites. Dr.Seuss, is a genius when it comes to chlidren's books. His books are witty, the pictures are silly, and almost everything rhymes. This is a fun book to read to children, and will get them interested in the rhyme scheme and actuallly have them chanting the words along with you! Great read! ( )
  BriannaMaeee | Mar 12, 2015 |
I like this book for many reasons. The characters consist of two people with opposite personalities. Children will encounter friendships similar to the one shown in this book. The illustrations are consistent with other Dr. Seuss books and display creatures with animal and human traits. The writing is simple for a young child to understand and encourages reading. Overall, the bid idea is to try new things. ( )
  mzellh1 | Mar 11, 2015 |
I liked that this book is an easy read and silly. It is also a good book for new readers, since there is a lot of repetition throughout the book. The book also gives great pictures that follow the story, which allows readers to get a deeper understanding if they are having difficulty reading it.
  bmille16 | Mar 5, 2015 |
I love this book it has lost of vibrant v colors and a good message to kids about trying something new even though it looks gross
added by samanthadawnn | editBook

Dr. Seussprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alexander, JasonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcuse, Aída E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stip, KatjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westera, BetteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am Sam.
Do you like green eggs and ham?

העלילה כוללת שתי דמויות - סם בתרגום לעברית "שמי הוא שב" ודמות ששמה לא מוזכרת. סם הוא דמות אנרגטית ושמחה המנסה לשכנע את הדמות השנייה (העצבנית, רגזנית ודיכאונית) לאכול "ביצים וירך-חזיר ירוקים" - "green eggs and ham" בתרגום לעברית לא מוזכר המאכל. הדמות השנייה מסרבת לאכול את המאכל. סם מציע לאכול אותו במספר אתרים (בית, מכונית, צמרת עץ) ועם מבחר בעלי חיים שועל, ,תיש, עכבר.

בסיום הספר מסכימה הדמות השנייה לאכול את המאכל ומגלה שהיא אוהבת אותו.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800168, Hardcover)

This timeless Dr. Seuss classic was first published in 1960, and has been delighting readers ever since. Sam-I-am is as persistent as a telemarketer, changing as many variables as possible in the hopes of convincing the nameless skeptic that green eggs and ham are a delicacy to be savored. He tries every manner of presentation with this "nouveau cuisine"--in a house, with a mouse, in a box, with a fox, with a goat, on a boat--to no avail. Then finally, finally the doubter caves under the tremendous pressure exerted by the tireless Sam-I-am. And guess what? Well, you probably know what happens, but even after reading Green Eggs and Ham the thousandth time, the climactic realization that green eggs and ham are "so good, so good, you see" is still a rush. As usual, kids will love Dr. Seuss's wacky rhymes and whimsical illustrations--and this time, they might even be so moved as to finally take a taste of their broccoli. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:46 -0400)

In verse, Sam-I-am tells of the virtues of green eggs and ham.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,260,175 books! | Top bar: Always visible