Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

Green Eggs and Ham (1960)

by Dr. Seuss

I love this book, along with most of Dr. Suess' texts, because it is entertaining but provides a necessary life moral. The quick rhyming sentences force you to try to read the whole page in one breath. This writing style mimics the crazy world the characters live in and the frustrated attitude that the main character is feeling. I like that Dr. Suess was able to evoke emotion simply by his writing style. Also, the invented language makes the book entertaining and is a useful test to see if young readers are memorizing words or are truly adept at phonics. The illustrations use whimsical lines and bright colors to keep the reader interested. The moral of the story is to always try new things or you may be missing out on something great! ( )
  agaski3 | Feb 27, 2015 |
Kindergarten- series, use with other Dr.s Suess books
  RachelHollingsworth | Feb 24, 2015 |
Awesome Book! One of the books that I remember enjoying being read to me during my childhood! Great book to purchase for personal collection. ( )
  Toneicya | Feb 23, 2015 |
This is definitely a book that my students love and don't mind listening to over and over. It's fun and energetic. Great story book! ( )
  Intiasar | Feb 23, 2015 |
Sam-I-Am is a character who does not give up until his friend tries green eggs and ham! Eventually, his friend eats green eggs and ham and enjoys it.
Dr. Seuss books are a classic and it is a great read aloud for younger children. Many activities can be driven from this book. ( )
  SadieCooney | Feb 21, 2015 |
I love this book it has lost of vibrant v colors and a good message to kids about trying something new even though it looks gross
added by samanthadawnn | editBook

Dr. Seussprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alexander, JasonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcuse, Aída E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stip, KatjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westera, BetteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am Sam.
Do you like green eggs and ham?

העלילה כוללת שתי דמויות - סם בתרגום לעברית "שמי הוא שב" ודמות ששמה לא מוזכרת. סם הוא דמות אנרגטית ושמחה המנסה לשכנע את הדמות השנייה (העצבנית, רגזנית ודיכאונית) לאכול "ביצים וירך-חזיר ירוקים" - "green eggs and ham" בתרגום לעברית לא מוזכר המאכל. הדמות השנייה מסרבת לאכול את המאכל. סם מציע לאכול אותו במספר אתרים (בית, מכונית, צמרת עץ) ועם מבחר בעלי חיים שועל, ,תיש, עכבר.

בסיום הספר מסכימה הדמות השנייה לאכול את המאכל ומגלה שהיא אוהבת אותו.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800168, Hardcover)

This timeless Dr. Seuss classic was first published in 1960, and has been delighting readers ever since. Sam-I-am is as persistent as a telemarketer, changing as many variables as possible in the hopes of convincing the nameless skeptic that green eggs and ham are a delicacy to be savored. He tries every manner of presentation with this "nouveau cuisine"--in a house, with a mouse, in a box, with a fox, with a goat, on a boat--to no avail. Then finally, finally the doubter caves under the tremendous pressure exerted by the tireless Sam-I-am. And guess what? Well, you probably know what happens, but even after reading Green Eggs and Ham the thousandth time, the climactic realization that green eggs and ham are "so good, so good, you see" is still a rush. As usual, kids will love Dr. Seuss's wacky rhymes and whimsical illustrations--and this time, they might even be so moved as to finally take a taste of their broccoli. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:46 -0400)

In verse, Sam-I-am tells of the virtues of green eggs and ham.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,699,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible