Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

Green Eggs and Ham (1960)

by Dr. Seuss

Recently added byeloisejuniper, MyraRamirez

Another classic by Dr. Seuss, Green Eggs and Ham follows two characters, Sam-I-am and another creature that is unnamed. Sam-I-am wants the other character to eat his green eggs and ham, on a train, in a car, with a fox, in a house, but the main character refuses. Until he actually tries it at the end to get Sam-I-am to stop pestering him, and he likes it! Any Dr. Seuss book is a must read, and this one is no different!! Great for children just learning how to read. ( )
  SimoneAlexis | Dec 12, 2014 |
“Do you like green eggs and ham?” asks Sam-I-am in this Beginner Book by Dr. Seuss. In a house or with a mouse? In a boat or with a goat? On a train or in a tree? Sam keeps asking persistently. With unmistakable characters and signature rhymes, Dr. Suess does a great job of creating a fun and entertaining read for all children of young ages! This book is great for a bedtime read or just a quick laugh. The use of rhymes and vivid images, makes kids want more. The text is very large and clear to understand and the words are often funny to say out loud. ( )
  eoertl1 | Dec 10, 2014 |
Review: This is a fun poetry book for children to read. Dr. Seuss did an amazing job writing this book that is full of rhyming, alliteration and repetition. The illustrations are basic but it really adds to the story.

Summary: This book is about Sam-I-am and how he asks another creature if they like green eggs and ham. He asks him many questions that he thinks will change this creatures mind about if he like them or not. The creature responds to Sam-I-am's questions by repeating everything he says. At the end of the story it is a long paragraph about how he doesn't like green eggs and ham no matter where he eats them. After a long time of saying he didn't like them he finally tries it and realizes that he actually does like green eggs and ham.

Argument: This is one of Dr. Seuss' most classic books. It is very fun to read no matter what age you are. I would recommend this book to anyone. I know that this was one of my favorite books to read and it keeps you engaged the whole time. I think children will really enjoy the repetition throughout the book.
The lesson in this book is the same for most of Dr. Seuss' books; to use your imagination. ( )
  knold1 | Dec 9, 2014 |
Summary: "Green Eggs and Ham" is the classic story of Sam-I-Am and his attempt to feed a grouch green eggs and ham. An improbable number of events occur following Sam-I-Am's first attempt of sharing his food with a grumpy grouch. He is constantly turned down through a string of rhymes that are catchy and imaginative. It pays off in the end, however, when the grouch finally has a taste of the green eggs and ham and its delighted by the taste.

Review: Dr. Seuss has a reputation for coming up with outrageous plots that somehow flow together smoothly. In this case, Sam-I-Am is a persistent character who insists his green eggs and ham be tasted. I really like that the book found a way to rhyme on every page. For young readers, this will not only improve fluency, but it will also provide excitement. The book is colorfully illustrated to go along with the text, which makes it a no-brainier beginner level story. ( )
  cclark37 | Dec 9, 2014 |
This was a book I read many times as a child, and I can certainly relate to it, as I was a very picky eater. That is one of the reasons that it is still one of my favorites. As a child, I refused to try anything that I didn't think looked tasty(although turning down eggs or ham that has turned green is probably wise). In this book, "Sam I Am" tries to convince the protagonist to try his green eggs and ham, which the narrator/protagonist really does not want to do. Finally he gives in and tries them, and finds that he loves them. I liked the message of this book as well, which in a nutshell, is that you never know what something is like if you haven’t tried it, and people should be open to new experiences.

Reading Level: preK-2 ( )
  AdamLarson | Dec 9, 2014 |
I love this book it has lost of vibrant v colors and a good message to kids about trying something new even though it looks gross
added by samanthadawnn | editBook

Dr. Seussprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alexander, JasonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcuse, Aída E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stip, KatjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westera, BetteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am Sam.
Do you like green eggs and ham?

העלילה כוללת שתי דמויות - סם בתרגום לעברית "שמי הוא שב" ודמות ששמה לא מוזכרת. סם הוא דמות אנרגטית ושמחה המנסה לשכנע את הדמות השנייה (העצבנית, רגזנית ודיכאונית) לאכול "ביצים וירך-חזיר ירוקים" - "green eggs and ham" בתרגום לעברית לא מוזכר המאכל. הדמות השנייה מסרבת לאכול את המאכל. סם מציע לאכול אותו במספר אתרים (בית, מכונית, צמרת עץ) ועם מבחר בעלי חיים שועל, ,תיש, עכבר.

בסיום הספר מסכימה הדמות השנייה לאכול את המאכל ומגלה שהיא אוהבת אותו.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800168, Hardcover)

This timeless Dr. Seuss classic was first published in 1960, and has been delighting readers ever since. Sam-I-am is as persistent as a telemarketer, changing as many variables as possible in the hopes of convincing the nameless skeptic that green eggs and ham are a delicacy to be savored. He tries every manner of presentation with this "nouveau cuisine"--in a house, with a mouse, in a box, with a fox, with a goat, on a boat--to no avail. Then finally, finally the doubter caves under the tremendous pressure exerted by the tireless Sam-I-am. And guess what? Well, you probably know what happens, but even after reading Green Eggs and Ham the thousandth time, the climactic realization that green eggs and ham are "so good, so good, you see" is still a rush. As usual, kids will love Dr. Seuss's wacky rhymes and whimsical illustrations--and this time, they might even be so moved as to finally take a taste of their broccoli. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:46 -0400)

In verse, Sam-I-am tells of the virtues of green eggs and ham.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,447,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible