Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

Green Eggs and Ham (1960)

by Dr. Seuss

English (416)  Spanish (1)  All languages (417)
Great for kindergarten learning to understand the rhyming words. ( )
  Olivia.Morris | Sep 26, 2016 |
This is a simple, repetitive book with easy words for young children to read along to as well as say along with the reader. Sam has a conversation with a friend who doesn't like green eggs and ham regardless of the time or place. Each page shows rhyming which is a fun, interactive way to get children engaged in story time. I would recommend this book for kinder-gardeners to first grade because of the simplicity of the story.
As the story goes on, each page repeats what was said on the previous pages on how Sam's friend doesn't like eating green eggs and ham in a house, in the rain, or anywhere! Yet in the end, Sam's friend decides to eat the green eggs and ham and discovers he likes them! So, this shows that you shouldn't say you don't like something before you try it.
This could be a fun book to start off a lesson about Dr. Seuss and get children interested in rhyming and repeating what was said or a way to get children to open their minds up to discover new activities they may enjoy. ( )
  KelseyGilgannon | Sep 26, 2016 |
“Green Eggs and Ham” by Dr.Seuss is a true classic. Dr. Seuss does a wonderful job at using repetitive word play to depict the unwillingness we can sometimes have to try new things. The story centers around two characters, Sam I Am, and a grumpy grinch like character who remains unnamed. The entirety of the book consists of Sam asking the other character If he would like green eggs and ham, while constantly changing the scenario the green eggs and ham would be eaten in through rhyme. The grinch like character responds after every question with the same rhyming word play and declares that he does not like green eggs and ham. Eventually after Sam asks the character very many times, in very many ways, the grinch character finally agrees to try them. To his surprise he actually enjoys the green eggs and ham. This is a great book that has a message that's important when it comes to trying new things. As children we’re often unwilling to try things based on appearances, or predispositions. This short picture book is a great reminder to children and adults alike that you just may enjoy that food you’ve never set out to try. In my opinion this picture book is age appropriate for children ages 4 to 9, and grade levels pre-k to second grade. Overall I would rate this book four out of five stars. As a child I enjoyed this book substantially more. I honestly now found it pretty repetitive in its plot and word play, but that's most likely because I’m now an adult. None the less Dr.Suess does a wonderful job at conveying a great message through fun word play and awesome illustrations. ( )
  NicholasJohns | Sep 19, 2016 |
A classic rhyming book that everyone should read at least once in their life. Sam just wants his friend to try green eggs and ham. Sam asks him to try them in some many ways and places and he friends refuses constantly. Sam is persist until his friend tries them, and his final verdict is shocking. ( )
  Jorman | Sep 13, 2016 |
Green Eggs and Ham is a well known classic. It is a great book for exposing young children to phonological awareness because of the rhyming. It teaches children not to judge things by its cover. a few classroom activities would be to ask the students to talk about foods that they refused to eat, but once they tried it, they actually liked it. Or, to teach a lesson about trying new things.
  tayro_95 | Sep 13, 2016 |
I am Sam.
Do you like green eggs and ham?
I do not like them, Sam-I-am. I do not like green eggs and ham.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800168, Hardcover)

This timeless Dr. Seuss classic was first published in 1960, and has been delighting readers ever since. Sam-I-am is as persistent as a telemarketer, changing as many variables as possible in the hopes of convincing the nameless skeptic that green eggs and ham are a delicacy to be savored. He tries every manner of presentation with this "nouveau cuisine"--in a house, with a mouse, in a box, with a fox, with a goat, on a boat--to no avail. Then finally, finally the doubter caves under the tremendous pressure exerted by the tireless Sam-I-am. And guess what? Well, you probably know what happens, but even after reading Green Eggs and Ham the thousandth time, the climactic realization that green eggs and ham are "so good, so good, you see" is still a rush. As usual, kids will love Dr. Seuss's wacky rhymes and whimsical illustrations--and this time, they might even be so moved as to finally take a taste of their broccoli. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:30 -0400)

In verse, Sam-I-am tells of the virtues of green eggs and ham.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,161,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible