Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

Green Eggs and Ham (1960)

by Dr. Seuss

Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Dr. Seuss is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
This book is another Dr. Seuss Classic. He uses his clever rhyming style in the book and follows a creature that is asked if it likes green eggs and ham in a bunch of different types of scenarios. It is an excellent beginners book for children to start off with and they will also have fun reading it.
  astinchavez | Oct 9, 2014 |
Summary:
Sam-I-Am is asking if someone would like some ham with not just eggs, but green eggs. The people Sam-I-Am asks says that they would not like them, in a box”, “in a house” not “here or there” or rather “would not eat them anywhere”. This book shows children that its okay to try new foods and be open to new things. You never know what you will like.

Review:
The children's book "Green Eggs and Ham" is one of my childhood classics. This was on of the first few books I started to read as a beginning reader. When you are young, you are not as open to trying to things ,such as green eggs and ham in this book so this book lets readers know its okay to try new things. ( )
  mnorth2 | Oct 8, 2014 |
I have always loved the works of Dr. Seuss, and this may be one of my favorite children's books that he had ever written.

Dr. Seuss is unique in his usage of language and writing. His children's books tend to rhyme from one line to the next, creating a steady flow of fluency for the reader. "I would not eat them here or there. I would not eat them anywhere. I would not eat green eggs and ham. I do not like them, Sam-I-am." I feel that this rhyming scheme is enjoyable for young readers, as they are made aware of his style of writing. It becomes apparent as you read other Dr. Seuss books that this style is present in many of his books. I did further research about Dr. Seuss's writing and I came to find that this particular book only consists of fifty different words. The use of these fifty words is the result of a bet " between Seuss and Bennett Cerf (Dr. Seuss's publisher), that Seuss (after completing The Cat in the Hat using 225 words) could not complete an entire book using so few words."

Dr. Seuss's characters are almost always fictional, especially in that of his children's books. His books contain characters that are not realistic, yet they can be believable for a young reader. For starters, the title of this book is "Green Eggs and Ham". Although eggs are not green, the story can still be believable to a young child.

Dr. Seuss is also his own illustrator, as he was also a cartoonist. The images that Seuss uses in this book are not realistic at all. However, going along with the character development, his images are believable to a young child. They are able to relate to a character who simply does not want something, which in this case was green eggs and ham. Although the character is not a person, it is still a figure that portrays expressions, emotions, and feelings. Seuss does a great job using his illustrations to enhance the story.

I feel that this book simply does not have a big idea of message behind it. I feel that Seuss does not write children's literature books with the intent to teach the reader a lesson or have them learn information, yet he writes to simply create entertainment for children. If I had to attempt at creating a main idea for Green Eggs and Ham, I would say that you shouldn't doubt something until you try it. Throughout the entire book, Sam-I-Am was trying to convince his friend to eat green eggs and ham. He refused over and over until he finally decided to change his mind, in which he learned that he loved green eggs and ham! ( )
  Andrewturner | Oct 7, 2014 |
Sam tries and tries to get his friend to eat green eggs and ham. He is refused over and over even though he makes up different situations where his friend could eat the green eggs and ham. Over and over he is refused until finally his friend tries them and says that he likes them too. The words are all repeating and all rhyme. Its a great way for a lesson on rhyming words. ( )
  amccann | Oct 7, 2014 |
I love this book it has lost of vibrant v colors and a good message to kids about trying something new even though it looks gross
added by samanthadawnn | editBook

Dr. Seussprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alexander, JasonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcuse, Aída E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stip, KatjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westera, BetteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am Sam.
Do you like green eggs and ham?

העלילה כוללת שתי דמויות - סם בתרגום לעברית "שמי הוא שב" ודמות ששמה לא מוזכרת. סם הוא דמות אנרגטית ושמחה המנסה לשכנע את הדמות השנייה (העצבנית, רגזנית ודיכאונית) לאכול "ביצים וירך-חזיר ירוקים" - "green eggs and ham" בתרגום לעברית לא מוזכר המאכל. הדמות השנייה מסרבת לאכול את המאכל. סם מציע לאכול אותו במספר אתרים (בית, מכונית, צמרת עץ) ועם מבחר בעלי חיים שועל, ,תיש, עכבר.

בסיום הספר מסכימה הדמות השנייה לאכול את המאכל ומגלה שהיא אוהבת אותו.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800168, Hardcover)

This timeless Dr. Seuss classic was first published in 1960, and has been delighting readers ever since. Sam-I-am is as persistent as a telemarketer, changing as many variables as possible in the hopes of convincing the nameless skeptic that green eggs and ham are a delicacy to be savored. He tries every manner of presentation with this "nouveau cuisine"--in a house, with a mouse, in a box, with a fox, with a goat, on a boat--to no avail. Then finally, finally the doubter caves under the tremendous pressure exerted by the tireless Sam-I-am. And guess what? Well, you probably know what happens, but even after reading Green Eggs and Ham the thousandth time, the climactic realization that green eggs and ham are "so good, so good, you see" is still a rush. As usual, kids will love Dr. Seuss's wacky rhymes and whimsical illustrations--and this time, they might even be so moved as to finally take a taste of their broccoli. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:46 -0400)

In verse, Sam-I-am tells of the virtues of green eggs and ham.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible