Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

Green Eggs and Ham (1960)

by Dr. Seuss

English (400)  Spanish (1)  All languages (401)
Summary: This book is about Sam, who does not like green eggs and ham. He has never tried them and doesn’t plan on it anytime soon. Because of their appearance, it makes it difficult for Sam to try them. He finally caves and tries the green eggs and ham, turns out he likes them after all.
Personal Reaction: I liked this book because I can relate to not trying food because of the way it looks. If it looks different, I don’t want to eat it. Especially if the eggs and ham were green, to me, that would look like it’s spoiled.
Classroom Extension Ideas: 1.) Maybe use food coloring in a cupcake mix and see if any of the other students would eat it.
2.) I would try to use words that rhyme to describe something that wasn’t the color it was supposed to be and if they would try that food or not.
  Chelsey_Fodder | Apr 21, 2016 |
Summary:
In this book, the main character, Sam, does not like green eggs and ham. Even though he has never tried them, he says he does not like them. He just refuses to eat them because of their appearance. In the end, however, Sam finally tries the green eggs and ham, and finds that he loves them.

Personal Reaction:
This book is a fantastic piece of children's poetry. It is fun, humorous, and teaches children, and some adults, that trying new things sometimes isn't all that bad. While it can be on the repetitive side, the repetitions can help the readers remember what happened in previous pages.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Make some wacky-colored food, such as green eggs and ham, and bring them to the classroom for the students to try.
2. Ask the students to talk about foods that they refused to eat, but once they tried it, they actually liked it.
3. Teach a lesson about trying new things.
  JennyDodson | Apr 21, 2016 |
Where do I begin? This book is one of my all time favorites. The story is great for all ages and it can be the perfect ice-breaker for a classroom introduction to a unit. This story had a flow of rhymes that is known by many children and adults. ( )
  DesmondDavis | Apr 12, 2016 |
This book is about a character named "Sam I Am" who wants the narrator to try his green eggs and ham. He refuses to try them until the very end, and ends up liking them. ( )
  sarahbranch | Apr 10, 2016 |
I love this book because it makes students laugh. The writing is this book is amazing, not because it has a good story background but because it makes students want to read more. The characters in the book are made up animals that bring students into a different world. This is good because it helps them understand the difference between fiction and nonfiction. The illustrations complement the writing very well because it is colorful and makes the students pay closer attention. I feel that the main idea of this book is to help students that are struggling readers, or students that do not like reading at all. ( )
  mhernd3 | Mar 30, 2016 |
I love this book it has lost of vibrant v colors and a good message to kids about trying something new even though it looks gross
added by samanthadawnn | editBook

I am Sam.
Do you like green eggs and ham?
I do not like them, Sam-I-am. I do not like green eggs and ham.

העלילה כוללת שתי דמויות - סם בתרגום לעברית "שמי הוא שב" ודמות ששמה לא מוזכרת. סם הוא דמות אנרגטית ושמחה המנסה לשכנע את הדמות השנייה (העצבנית, רגזנית ודיכאונית) לאכול "ביצים וירך-חזיר ירוקים" - "green eggs and ham" בתרגום לעברית לא מוזכר המאכל. הדמות השנייה מסרבת לאכול את המאכל. סם מציע לאכול אותו במספר אתרים (בית, מכונית, צמרת עץ) ועם מבחר בעלי חיים שועל, ,תיש, עכבר.

בסיום הספר מסכימה הדמות השנייה לאכול את המאכל ומגלה שהיא אוהבת אותו.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800168, Hardcover)

This timeless Dr. Seuss classic was first published in 1960, and has been delighting readers ever since. Sam-I-am is as persistent as a telemarketer, changing as many variables as possible in the hopes of convincing the nameless skeptic that green eggs and ham are a delicacy to be savored. He tries every manner of presentation with this "nouveau cuisine"--in a house, with a mouse, in a box, with a fox, with a goat, on a boat--to no avail. Then finally, finally the doubter caves under the tremendous pressure exerted by the tireless Sam-I-am. And guess what? Well, you probably know what happens, but even after reading Green Eggs and Ham the thousandth time, the climactic realization that green eggs and ham are "so good, so good, you see" is still a rush. As usual, kids will love Dr. Seuss's wacky rhymes and whimsical illustrations--and this time, they might even be so moved as to finally take a taste of their broccoli. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:30 -0400)

In verse, Sam-I-am tells of the virtues of green eggs and ham.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,819 books! | Top bar: Always visible