Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

Green Eggs and Ham (1960)

by Dr. Seuss

In my opinion, I think “Green Eggs and Ham” is an excellent book. The first reason I like the book is because of the pace of the story and the rhyming words throughout the story. The rhyming makes fluency easier for the young reader. Also the repetition of the rhymes enhances the telling of the story. The second reason it is one of my favorites is because it has humor. Sam-I-am chases the other main character throughout the story asking if he likes green eggs and ham. Sam-I-am follows him in cars, trains, up a tree, in the dark, in the rain, and several other silly places. The language in the story is very descriptive and the rhyming vocabulary is assorted. Some examples are tree, be, box, fox, mouse, house, there, anywhere, goat, boat, train, rain, say and may. I also like the book because there is irony at the end of the story. Sam-I-am finally gets the other character, who hates green eggs and ham, to try them. The character then realizes he does like green eggs and ham after all! The big idea of the story is “don’t knock it till you try it.” ( )
  kflach1 | Sep 19, 2014 |
One of my all time favorite authors is Dr. Seuss. Sam I am is trying to get him to eat green eggs and ham but he is refusing to eat them. Sam I am asks him if he wants to eat it here or there, or in a house or next to a mouse but he will not eat them. He finally tries them, and he loves green eggs and ham. I think the moral of the story is to try something before you say that you don't like them. you can always spit it out if you don't or if you do you can eat more of it. ( )
  emilyann93 | Sep 17, 2014 |
Green Eggs and Ham is a classic Dr. Seuss book that covers the story of Sam-I-Am seeking to know if a fellow character will eat Green Eggs and Ham. He searches for various situations that might be suitable to eat such a meal. I like this book especially because it is so fun to read aloud, and encompasses the basic traits of a predictable book extremely well. Green Eggs and Ham can be used anywhere from Kindergarten to third grade, and is probably most appropriate in first or second grade.
  LoganBerglund | Sep 17, 2014 |
I really like the book Green Eggs and Ham, by Dr. Seuss. First, I like this book because of the character. The character in the book is a child and acts like a child who refuses to try anything new. “I do not like green eggs and ham. I would not like them here or there. I would not like them anywhere…” Daniel says. Daniel is a character that many children can relate to, especially when they are young and refuse to eat any of the vegetables their parents make. Then, I love how when Daniel finally tries it, he ends up liking it. “Sam! If you will let me be, I will try them. You will see. Say! I like green eggs and ham! I do! I like them, Sam-I-am!” This gives children the message to try new things, and to not refuse something that they have never tried before. As all Dr. Seuss’ books, the rhythm/rhyming also makes the book so great. When books have a rhyming pattern to them, it makes it not only easier for children to read, but it makes it more fun! For example, “I do not like them in a box. I do not like them with a fox. I will not eat them in a house. I do not like them with a mouse.” As stated before, the overall main idea of this book is to teach students not to judge something before trying it. If Daniel could try green eggs and ham and like it, you can try something new too! ( )
  margan1 | Sep 16, 2014 |
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr.Seuss is a delightful children’s book, that tells the story of a unnamed character, the narrator, who is being pestered into eating green eggs and ham by a named character known as Sam I Am. This book as a favorite of mine and I enjoyed reading it again for this reading log. I love this book for so many different reasons.
One of the main reasons I loved this book is for the language. The book speaks all in rhyme. I feel this makes the book more fun and relatable to children as well as adults because you don’t feel as if you are reading a book. It also makes it an easy read because the language and the format of the book are easy to pick up on. For example whenever Sam I Am says an idea of how to eat green eggs and ham, the reader knows the narrator will reply with I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them Sam I Am. The language is also very simple the book only contains fifty words. I like this because it is easy for a reader to understand and doesn’t take away from the overall message of the book. All while encouraging you to read more. The book overall is just beautifully written. Dr. Seuss just knows how to write in a language that appeals to a child and makes the book fun, exciting, making reading carefree. He does this by having repeating phrases and the overall pace. I like this because I feel it would help interest the reader and help them to not become discouraged because they don’t understand.
The final main reason I loved this book is the illustrations. The illustrations are so vivid and imaginative that they really help the pages come to life. For example when Sam I Am is asking if the narrator would eat them in a box, the box looks so three-dimensional and the narrator’s anger when saying no is so realistic that we almost feel that the narrator is moving on the page. The colors in this book such as the contrast between green and the bright orange help the pictures to jump off the page. All of these amazing things go together to create one of the most known children’s books of all time and lead to the ending where the narrator ends up eating green eggs and ham leading to the overall message of the book which is don’t judge something based on appearance and that you should always try something before you say you don’t like it. ( )
  BriaCoogle | Sep 15, 2014 |
I love this book it has lost of vibrant v colors and a good message to kids about trying something new even though it looks gross
added by samanthadawnn | editBook

Dr. Seussprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alexander, JasonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcuse, Aída E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stip, KatjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westera, BetteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am Sam.
Do you like green eggs and ham?

העלילה כוללת שתי דמויות - סם בתרגום לעברית "שמי הוא שב" ודמות ששמה לא מוזכרת. סם הוא דמות אנרגטית ושמחה המנסה לשכנע את הדמות השנייה (העצבנית, רגזנית ודיכאונית) לאכול "ביצים וירך-חזיר ירוקים" - "green eggs and ham" בתרגום לעברית לא מוזכר המאכל. הדמות השנייה מסרבת לאכול את המאכל. סם מציע לאכול אותו במספר אתרים (בית, מכונית, צמרת עץ) ועם מבחר בעלי חיים שועל, ,תיש, עכבר.

בסיום הספר מסכימה הדמות השנייה לאכול את המאכל ומגלה שהיא אוהבת אותו.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800168, Hardcover)

This timeless Dr. Seuss classic was first published in 1960, and has been delighting readers ever since. Sam-I-am is as persistent as a telemarketer, changing as many variables as possible in the hopes of convincing the nameless skeptic that green eggs and ham are a delicacy to be savored. He tries every manner of presentation with this "nouveau cuisine"--in a house, with a mouse, in a box, with a fox, with a goat, on a boat--to no avail. Then finally, finally the doubter caves under the tremendous pressure exerted by the tireless Sam-I-am. And guess what? Well, you probably know what happens, but even after reading Green Eggs and Ham the thousandth time, the climactic realization that green eggs and ham are "so good, so good, you see" is still a rush. As usual, kids will love Dr. Seuss's wacky rhymes and whimsical illustrations--and this time, they might even be so moved as to finally take a taste of their broccoli. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:46 -0400)

In verse, Sam-I-am tells of the virtues of green eggs and ham.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,728,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible