Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

Green Eggs and Ham (1960)

by Dr. Seuss

Series: Beginner Book

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss is a great book for all ages, in my opinion. It is a classic! In Green Eggs and Ham, Sam-I-Am is trying to get another character to try green eggs and ham. The character first denies a great deal of times stating that he does not like them until finally, he tries them. After he tries them he realizes that he actually does like green eggs and ham. Children can learn all about trying new things and that although somethings may seem a little different, they should try them before forming an opinion about them. It is a great lesson to learn. ( )
  Nijania | Nov 16, 2014 |
Sam I Am is trying to convince the narrator to eat green eggs and ham but the narrator does not want to eat them and he doesn't even like Sam-I-Am. Sam-I-Am try's to convince the narrator to eat them with a fox, in a box, and almost anywhere. But he doesn't want to even try them. Finally, so Sam-I-Am would stop bothering him he decided to try them and he finds out he loves them! He goes and eats green eggs and ham everywhere! I love the story because it showing you that you should try something before dismissing it. ( )
  lruano | Nov 15, 2014 |
This has always been one of my favorites--not only for the fun rhythm of the book, but also because I keep hoping it'll get my kids to try new things to eat--things they ASSUME they won't like! ( )
  trayceetee | Nov 15, 2014 |
Summary:
This story is about Sam trying to get one of the characters in the story to eat greens eggs and ham.The character will not eat it because he insists that he would not like it. In the end after the character finally gets tired of Sam asking him throughout the book he eats it and he realizes he likes green eggs and ham.

Personal reaction:
I love any books from Dr. Seuss I loved reading his books when I was younger.

Classroom extension ideas:
1. The class could eat green eggs and ham.
2. The class could create thier own poem. ( )
  christyb2020 | Nov 10, 2014 |
Green Eggs and Ham is a classic book from Dr. Seuss. In this story Sam-I-Am keeps asking the cat if he likes green eggs and ham. The cat keeps responding he does not like green eggs and ham. Finally, Sam-I-Am gives in and tries the green eggs and ham. Turns out he likes it very much!

Reaction:
I love this book, I read it as a kid and to my own kids.

Classroom Extension:
1.After reading the story, make green eggs and ham and eat in the classroom.
2. After reading the story, write pairs of sentences on sentence strips. Use
a large sticky note to cover one of the rhyming words at the end of a line. Read the sentence as a class and have the students guess the rhyming word.
  AmberDimmitt | Nov 8, 2014 |
I love this book it has lost of vibrant v colors and a good message to kids about trying something new even though it looks gross
added by samanthadawnn | editBook

Dr. Seussprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alexander, JasonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcuse, Aída E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stip, KatjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westera, BetteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am Sam.
Do you like green eggs and ham?

העלילה כוללת שתי דמויות - סם בתרגום לעברית "שמי הוא שב" ודמות ששמה לא מוזכרת. סם הוא דמות אנרגטית ושמחה המנסה לשכנע את הדמות השנייה (העצבנית, רגזנית ודיכאונית) לאכול "ביצים וירך-חזיר ירוקים" - "green eggs and ham" בתרגום לעברית לא מוזכר המאכל. הדמות השנייה מסרבת לאכול את המאכל. סם מציע לאכול אותו במספר אתרים (בית, מכונית, צמרת עץ) ועם מבחר בעלי חיים שועל, ,תיש, עכבר.

בסיום הספר מסכימה הדמות השנייה לאכול את המאכל ומגלה שהיא אוהבת אותו.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800168, Hardcover)

This timeless Dr. Seuss classic was first published in 1960, and has been delighting readers ever since. Sam-I-am is as persistent as a telemarketer, changing as many variables as possible in the hopes of convincing the nameless skeptic that green eggs and ham are a delicacy to be savored. He tries every manner of presentation with this "nouveau cuisine"--in a house, with a mouse, in a box, with a fox, with a goat, on a boat--to no avail. Then finally, finally the doubter caves under the tremendous pressure exerted by the tireless Sam-I-am. And guess what? Well, you probably know what happens, but even after reading Green Eggs and Ham the thousandth time, the climactic realization that green eggs and ham are "so good, so good, you see" is still a rush. As usual, kids will love Dr. Seuss's wacky rhymes and whimsical illustrations--and this time, they might even be so moved as to finally take a taste of their broccoli. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:46 -0400)

In verse, Sam-I-am tells of the virtues of green eggs and ham.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,035,994 books! | Top bar: Always visible