Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

Green Eggs and Ham (1960)

by Dr. Seuss

10,202381281 (4.33)124

I have always enjoyed reading this book. Reading it over this time around I noticed things that I haven't noticed before. The book is aimed towards younger audiences and overall, I think allows students explore things they have never tried before.
Detailing into this, the book ties back around - at the end - to how Sam tried these Green Eggs and Ham and turned out really liking them. This book takes the idea of risk-taking and trying new things to a level appropriate for the targeted age of students reading this text.
There is a pattern in Dr. Seuss' language, throughout, and I believe the repetitiveness is very beneficial to newer readers to reinforce certain sight words and also allow them to make connections to their own lives as things are repeated over and over again. This happens on nearly even page of the text when a sort of rhythm becomes apparent.
The illustrations in the story definitely enhance the story and since the aimed audience is targeted as younger, allows these individuals to connect their thoughts from the text to the pictures on the pages.
In the end, Green Eggs and Ham is definitely a beneficial book to read to students because it teaches a valuable lesson for all different types of students. No matter who a student is - their background, their familial situation, etc. - every student can have the oppurtunity to try different things and potentially really enjoy the new things they could have never once even tried. ( )
  hfetty1 | Feb 9, 2016 |
I liked this story for many reasons. One reason I liked this story is because it shows students that they cannot judge something without trying it out first. In the text Sam I am is trying to convince the other character to try the green eggs and ham. The main character consistently tells Sam that he will not try them, and that he doesn’t like them. But, once he tries them he finds that he really does enjoy them, and he would eat them here or there or anywhere. This was also the big idea in the book, it shows students that they cannot be negative about a subject, food, life experience before trying it themselves. I also enjoyed how the illustrations helped to enhance the story, by showing Sam I Am in different places such as a “in a box, with a fox” students can see where the characters are throughout the book. ( )
  JessicaSparacino | Feb 8, 2016 |
One of my favorite memories is reading this to my kids so many times they knew it by heart before they could even read. ( )
  Koren56 | Feb 4, 2016 |
It's not a good idea to eat spoiled food, but that's not the moral. You can't always know you'll dislike something unless you try it first, but let's not take that idea to the extreme either. ( )
  Michael_Rose | Jan 10, 2016 |
Green Eggs and Ham is a classic book about giving new experiences a try. The book follows a fellow who does not want to try green eggs and ham but is friend tries to convince to try them in all sorts of places. The book is rhythming and fun. Elementary age kids love this book and it is always a favorite on "Dr. Suess Day". This belongs in every early elementary school classroom grades K-6. ( )
  Ryanscheafer | Dec 20, 2015 |
I love this book it has lost of vibrant v colors and a good message to kids about trying something new even though it looks gross
added by samanthadawnn | editBook

I am Sam.
Do you like green eggs and ham?

העלילה כוללת שתי דמויות - סם בתרגום לעברית "שמי הוא שב" ודמות ששמה לא מוזכרת. סם הוא דמות אנרגטית ושמחה המנסה לשכנע את הדמות השנייה (העצבנית, רגזנית ודיכאונית) לאכול "ביצים וירך-חזיר ירוקים" - "green eggs and ham" בתרגום לעברית לא מוזכר המאכל. הדמות השנייה מסרבת לאכול את המאכל. סם מציע לאכול אותו במספר אתרים (בית, מכונית, צמרת עץ) ועם מבחר בעלי חיים שועל, ,תיש, עכבר.

בסיום הספר מסכימה הדמות השנייה לאכול את המאכל ומגלה שהיא אוהבת אותו.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800168, Hardcover)

This timeless Dr. Seuss classic was first published in 1960, and has been delighting readers ever since. Sam-I-am is as persistent as a telemarketer, changing as many variables as possible in the hopes of convincing the nameless skeptic that green eggs and ham are a delicacy to be savored. He tries every manner of presentation with this "nouveau cuisine"--in a house, with a mouse, in a box, with a fox, with a goat, on a boat--to no avail. Then finally, finally the doubter caves under the tremendous pressure exerted by the tireless Sam-I-am. And guess what? Well, you probably know what happens, but even after reading Green Eggs and Ham the thousandth time, the climactic realization that green eggs and ham are "so good, so good, you see" is still a rush. As usual, kids will love Dr. Seuss's wacky rhymes and whimsical illustrations--and this time, they might even be so moved as to finally take a taste of their broccoli. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:30 -0400)

In verse, Sam-I-am tells of the virtues of green eggs and ham.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,186,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible