Bad Day at Riverbend by Chris Van Allsburg

Bad Day at Riverbend

by Chris Van Allsburg

1901462,147 (4.09)6

This is great story in a story to read to kids. I would use this book to introduce the wild west period in American History to kids. ( )
  ktankers | Oct 2, 2013 |
Bad Day at Riverbend is a departure from other Van Allsburg books I've read. So far, I prefer his other style. This may be the sort of book I read later and like even better. Not bad, just not the same draw(ing) (pardon the pun!) for me personally. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
I'm partial to this story because Van Allsburg explained its inspiration at an author event I was lucky enough to attend. His own daughter gave him the inspiration for this book by drawing in a Little Mermaid coloring book on a picture of Ariel looking shocked. I enjoyed this story so much and I have to admit, the fact that we only come to understand but not see a solution to the problem the Riverbenders face is part of what I liked about this story. Cool book. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
Breaking the 4th wall . . . book style. Z pulled this old favorite out for a little cloudy day read-aloud. ( )
  beckydj | Mar 31, 2013 |
This is a great book. It surrounds a black and white outlined town. When mysterious sticky color begins to appear on people and places in the town, the sheriff investigates and looks for the bright light that flashes quickly overhead. In the end, the reader realizes that these are the lives of cowboys in a coloring book. Incredible story with a great twist. ( )
  alissabecker | Nov 1, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039567347X, Hardcover)

Riverbend was a quiet little town, the kind of place where one day was just like all the rest and nothing ever happened. Occasionally the stagecoach rolled through, but it never stopped, because no one ever came to Riverbend and no one ever left. The day the stagecoach stood motionless in the center of town, Sheriff Ned Hardy knew something was terribly wrong. What was the mysterious substance on both coach and horses? It would not come off. Soon it was everywhere in the tidy little village. Something had to be done, and Sheriff Hardy aimed to do it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:52 -0400)

When Sheriff Hardy investigates the source of a brilliant light and shiny slime afflicting Riverbend, he finds that the village is becoming part of a child's coloring book streaked with greasy crayons.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,398,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible