Cool Salsa by Lori Carlson

Cool Salsa

by Lori Carlson

I mostly picked this up as one tool to keep up my Spanish. I looked up a lot of words, even though the poems were translated, if they were words I hadn't heard before. I only noticed the glossary half way through which were for poems that were mixed. I liked the feel of the poems and the honesty of the poets. I can see a teacher using this for third or fourth year Spanish. ( )
  eliorajoy | Apr 29, 2014 |
I liked the fact the poems were written by teens and we diverse, yet cohesive.
  laurenwhite92 | Oct 25, 2012 |
This is a very mature read with some profanity and questionable content. It is a very typical look at growing up Latino in America.
  Randalea | Aug 7, 2011 |
This book is fool of poems that reflect what it is growing up latino in American and in parts of latin America. The poems were written in english and translated into spanis and vice versa; poems written in spanish that were translated into English. There are poems written by well known latino poems like Sandra Cisneros, Gary Soto, Oscar Hijuelos, and Luis Rodriguez. I particulary enjoy "Love Poem for my People", by Pedro Pietri ( )
  NMS09 | Aug 14, 2009 |
Carlson, L.(1994),Holt.
Deborah Stevenson (The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, September 1994 (Vol. 48, No. 1))
We would like you to know/ we are not all/ docile/ nor revolutionaries/ but we are all survivors," says Ana Castillo in her poem "We Would Like You to Know," and the poems collected here chronicle the joys and pains, successes and failures, of that survival. The book has six sections: School Days, Home and Homelands, Memories, Hard Times, A Time to Party, and A Promising Future; the poems range from the quirkily humorous ("Why Do Men Wear Earrings in One Ear?" by Trinidad Sánchez, Jr.) to the hortatory ("Love Poem for My People," by Pedro Pietri) to the sad ("'Race' Politics," by Luis J. Rodríguez) to the wry ("English con Salsa," by Gina Valdés). Each poem in English is followed by its Spanish translation or original; poems written in a mix of both stand alone, with notes in the back of the book explaining terms and references. The poets trace their roots to various countries, including the U.S., and their voices have an immediacy often lacking in poetry collections. The subtle but singing lyrics frequently have a colloquial tone that will speak to many young readers ("When I made it to school/ they thought I didn't/ have a mind in English and if/ you don't have a mind in English/ you have a mind in nothing"-from Pablo Medina's "The Secret"); many would also make piquant readalouds for younger grades. A foreword by Oscar Hijuelos accompanies the introduction by the editor, and brief biographies of the poets and translators are included. R*--Highly recommended as a book of special distinction.

est Books:
Americas Award for Children's and Young Adult Literature, 1994 ; Consortium of Latin American Studies Programs (CLASP); Commended; United States
Books for You: An Annotated Booklist for Senior High, Thirteenth Edition, 1997 ; National Council of Teachers of English; United States
Bulletin Blue Ribbons, 1994 ; Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books; United States
Children's Catalog, Eighteenth Edition, 2001 ; H.W. Wilson; United States
Children's Catalog, Nineteenth Edition, 2006 ; H.W. Wilson; United States
Fanfare Honor List, 1994 ; Horn Book; United States
Kirkus Book Review Stars, 1994 ; United States
Middle And Junior High School Library Catalog, Eighth Edition, 2000 ; H.W. Wilson; United States
Middle and Junior High School Library Catalog, Ninth Edition, 2005 ; H.W. Wilson; United States
Publishers Weekly Book Review Stars, June 1994 ; Cahners; United States
Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers, 1994 ; American Library Association-YALSA; United States
Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers, 1995 ; American Library Association YALSA; United States
School Library Journal: Best Books, 1994 ; Cahners; United States
School Library Journal: Best Books for Young Adults, 1994 ; Cahners; United States
Senior High School Library Catalog, Fifteenth Edition, 1997 ; H.W. Wilson; United States
Senior High School Library Catalog, Sixteenth Edition, 2002 ; H.W. Wilson; United States ( )
  mrbobbyhopkins | Jun 15, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044970436X, Mass Market Paperback)

"Poetry with a distinct flavor: a skillfully mixed appetizer."
--Kirkus Reviews (starred)
Here are the sights, sounds, and smells of Latino culture in America in thirty-six vibrant, moving, angry, beautiful and varied voices, including Alicia Gaspar de Alba, Ana Castillo, Sandra Cisneros, Luis J. Rodríguez, Gary Soto, and Martín Espada.
Presented in both English and Spanish, each poem helps us to discover the stories behind the mangoes and memories, prejudice and fear, love and life--how it was and is to grow up Hispanic in America....
"The subtle but singing lyrics frequently have a colloquial tone that will speak to many young readers."
--The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books (starred)
"Excellent enrichment...Whether discussing the immigrant's frustration at not being able to speak English...the familiar adolescent desire to belong, or celebrating the simple joys of life, these fine poems are incisive and photographic in their depiction of a moment."
--School Library Journal (starred)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:49 -0400)

Poems celebrate themes and moods from Hispanic-American teenage life, from the passion of learning English to the pain of ethnic prejudice.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,941,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible