Cool Salsa by Lori Carlson

Cool Salsa

by Lori Carlson

Recommended by Cathy Fisher
  RhondaHoward | Jul 22, 2015 |
Middle School teachers could use this text to inspire students to write poetry of their own. They could write one poem at the beginning of the year and then go back at the end of the year and write a different version of it. The text could also be used with ELL students and give them opportunities to meaningfully engage in a fully integrated Language Arts class. I also think Latino students would appreciate hearing their voices within these pages. ( )
  CJFisher | Jul 12, 2015 |
I mostly picked this up as one tool to keep up my Spanish. I looked up a lot of words, even though the poems were translated, if they were words I hadn't heard before. I only noticed the glossary half way through which were for poems that were mixed. I liked the feel of the poems and the honesty of the poets. I can see a teacher using this for third or fourth year Spanish. ( )
  eliorajoy | Apr 29, 2014 |
I liked the fact the poems were written by teens and we diverse, yet cohesive.
  laurenwhite92 | Oct 25, 2012 |
This is a very mature read with some profanity and questionable content. It is a very typical look at growing up Latino in America.
  Randalea | Aug 7, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044970436X, Mass Market Paperback)

"Poetry with a distinct flavor: a skillfully mixed appetizer."
--Kirkus Reviews (starred)
Here are the sights, sounds, and smells of Latino culture in America in thirty-six vibrant, moving, angry, beautiful and varied voices, including Alicia Gaspar de Alba, Ana Castillo, Sandra Cisneros, Luis J. Rodríguez, Gary Soto, and Martín Espada.
Presented in both English and Spanish, each poem helps us to discover the stories behind the mangoes and memories, prejudice and fear, love and life--how it was and is to grow up Hispanic in America....
"The subtle but singing lyrics frequently have a colloquial tone that will speak to many young readers."
--The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books (starred)
"Excellent enrichment...Whether discussing the immigrant's frustration at not being able to speak English...the familiar adolescent desire to belong, or celebrating the simple joys of life, these fine poems are incisive and photographic in their depiction of a moment."
--School Library Journal (starred)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:15 -0400)

Poems celebrate themes and moods from Hispanic-American teenage life, from the passion of learning English to the pain of ethnic prejudice.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,501,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible