It's Your Room: A Decorating Guide for…

It's Your Room: A Decorating Guide for Real Kids

by Janice Weaver

It's Your Room: a Decorating Guide for Real Kids offers a nice overview of decorating your bedroom. Written and illustrated for kids it seems seems more aimed at teens who have a lot of freedom to do what they want. ( )
  greenduckie13 | Dec 8, 2010 |
This is a very good book for kids on how to make their room what they want.

Our kids really enjoyed looking through it when we moved , and are still looking back in it for more ideas all the time. ( )
  dbhutch | Dec 1, 2010 |
It's Your Room: a Decorating Guide for Kids, which otherwise contains a lot of useful information, has two flaws. First, it seems to be geared toward teenagers, as it covers topics like budgeting and encourages the readers to visit furniture and antique shops and do other such activities. After looking through the book, my 11-year-old summed it up by saying, "This is a good book for kids whose parents let them do anything they want." I'm sure that wasn't the authors' intention, and they do give many reminders to get approval and advice from parents. However, the book seems intended for kids with some amount of freedom, responsibility and access to resources. At the same time, the depth, layout and illustrations suggest that the book is aimed toward a younger audience (preteen to early teen). For kids that age, the book is not as likely to be useful, as they won't be able to implement the suggestions without a lot of help from their parents.

My other complaint is that, though there are a number of cute and colourful illustrations of kids decorating their rooms, there are no real photographs of rooms, furniture or decorative items. It seems unusual to me that a book on decorating has absolutely no photos as examples or inspiration. The book does contain plenty of good advice but may have limited appeal to kids. ( )
1 vote mathgirl40 | Nov 24, 2010 |
This is a great book for getting your kid interested in redecorating their room. It also works for adults who have no idea what a color wheel is. Planning, lighting, color, window treatments, and storage are all covered. Reading level is simple, without being condescending. The illustrations are very colorful, and there are helpful sidebars throughout the text. ( )
1 vote WaltNoise | Oct 23, 2010 |
My teenaged daughter was very happy to see this book arrive. She found it informative and helpful. I particularly like that in addition to positive suggestions, there are things to watch out for presented as personal vignettes, which a teen or tween may find more impressive than a simple "things to avoid" list (as they can be oppositional, we all know). This is definitely worth looking at if you and a child in your household are considering re-doing a bedroom or personal space. ( )
1 vote LeesyLou | Oct 12, 2010 |
while it was a good book it presented as something teens could utilize if you could convince your parents to go for the changes. In normal situations this isn't always doable. Some of it read a little cheesy to say the least. I give it a 3 cup rating hoping that it would help young people decor their room, but not exactly cost efficient.
added by CommunityBookstop | editCommunity Bookstop, Paula Mitchell (Oct 3, 2010)

A decorating guide for young people covering such topics as choosing colors that complement each other, organization, and furnishings.

Tundra Books

An edition of this book was published by Tundra Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,985,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible