What to Expect When You're Expecting, Third…

What to Expect When You're Expecting, Third Edition (original 1984; edition 2002)

by Heidi Murkoff, Arlene Eisenberg, Sandee Hathaway

Member:spsexton
Title:What to Expect When You're Expecting, Third Edition
Authors:Heidi Murkoff
Other authors:Arlene Eisenberg, Sandee Hathaway
Info:
Tags:Parenting

What to Expect When You're Expecting by Heidi Murkoff (1984)

English (30)  Catalan (1)  All languages (31)
This was a great book for me during my pregnancy. It's helpful and to the point. I love the detailed month by month. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is pregnant for the first time. ( )
  Tiffy83 | Aug 11, 2014 |
I didn't like the format of this book. Something's I found interesting and helpful but mostly I found it uninformative. I also found it more negative. There is a lot more on problems and things going wrong than the positive side of pregnancy. I would not make this the one and only pregnancy book you would read. ( )
  Tara714 | Apr 1, 2014 |
This book is a good start for general conception/pregnancy knowledge. Although, having read through it, I find I have even more questions now. The book is organized in a busy manor. It tries to cover everything and doesn't go into a lot of detail because there's so much to cover. But, it is a good way to get your feet wet on the subject. I'm not currently expecting, but several of my friends are, so I was curious. ( )
  vonze | Feb 6, 2014 |
this ubiquitous book is pretty good. some women feel that it has made them feel more nervous about pregnancy & birth. it doesn't offer a balanced, comprehensive view of birthing options nor does it portray birth as a natural, normal process. it has some helpful information but you would be wise to balance your reading of ultra-mainstream and fear-based titles like these with books by: sheila kitzinger, henci goer, ina may gaskin, and penny simpkin. having said that, this book is unique in that it offers so much detail about each month and it was fun/informative for me in each of my pregnancies to refer to it often. in my second pregnancy, i found that this was the only pregnancy books i looked at; i felt i already knew most of what i needed to know about pregnancy and especially birth. but i really enjoyed reading about how my baby was developing and what he was up to in the various months. ( )
  julierh | Apr 7, 2013 |
It gives some good information, but I feel like there's a lot missing. So I'm supplementing. ( )
  pam.enser | Apr 1, 2013 |

Heidi Murkoffprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eisenberg, Arlenemain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hathaway, Sandeemain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mazel, Sharonmain authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0761121323, Paperback)

Eighteen years after it first hit the shelves and having sold more than 10 million copies, What to Expect When You're Expecting is still on nearly every mother-to-be's reading list. This completely revised and updated edition is packed with answers to hundreds of questions and worries expectant parents may have. The information is presented in a month-by-month format starting with planning a pregnancy and choosing a practitioner, and follows through to six weeks after delivery. Each chapter begins with an explanation of what to expect at a particular month's prenatal visit and a brief description of how mom and baby are growing and changing before getting to the heart of the matter: What You May Be Concerned About. Topics are presented as questions ranging from "Should I be taking vitamins?" to "What if I forget everything I learn in childbirth education class?" to "Will I be able to breastfeed?" The answers are generally reassuring and provide enough information to soothe a worried mom between prenatal visits. Despite the reassuring answers, however, the sheer volume of worries discussed may alarm an otherwise calm mom-to-be.

The book also features a complete nutrition plan (though many women may find it difficult to follow), a special chapter just for expectant dads, and extensive information about dealing with minor illnesses, chronic conditions, and pregnancy complications. What to Expect has guided countless women through their pregnancies and makes an informative addition to the mainstream pregnancy and childbirth bookshelf. --Jennifer Lindsay

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:17 -0400)

We're expecting again! Announcing the completely revised and updated third edition of America's best-selling pregnancy book, What to Expect When You're Expecting. Two years in the making, it's a cover-to-cover, chapter-by-chapter, line-by-line revision and update. Everything that the original did-which, at just shy of 10 million copies in print, it did extraordinarily well-the third edition does, and better. Incorporating the most recent developments in medicine, and responding to the many queries and letters received from readers, the book contains both the most accurate information available, and the most reader-friendly. The third edition includes more information on working while pregnant. It offers more in-depth coverage of complementary and alternative birthing. Greater attention is paid to pre-conception, alternative families, second pregnancies, HMOs, the role of the father, and lifestyle. There's a completely new look at the best-odds diet, which is better suited to the needs of busier women with less time. An updated cover and all-new black-and-white illustrations give the classic a fresher look.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,355,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible