Whip Hand: A classic racing mystery from the…

Whip Hand: A classic racing mystery from the king of crime (original 1979; edition 2019)

by Dick Francis (Author)

Series: Sid Halley (2)

Ex-Jockey (and private investigator) Sid Halley a victim of his own success - overworked and stretched to do all the jobs he is offered, even with the help of his black belt friend Chico Barnes. Villians, too, have learned to be wary of him. The word has gone round - and Sid finds himself hunting an enemy who believes the best form of defence is brutal attack - container.… (more)
Member:kevinlilley
Title:Whip Hand: A classic racing mystery from the king of crime
Authors:Dick Francis (Author)
Info:Canelo USA (2019), 388 pages

Whip Hand by Dick Francis (1979)

English (15)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All languages (17)
So I really listened to a dramatized version rather than read the whole book so I don't know how to grade it. It seemed similar to Francis' other books so, three maybe. ( )
  bratell | Dec 25, 2020 |
4.5, if I could. One of the more enjoyable Francis books I've read in a while, or maybe I was just more in the mood now. Sid Halley is a likable protagonist, as I guess they all are, and this one was thought-provoking, as usual. My favorite summer reading! ( )
  beautifulshell | Aug 27, 2020 |
This novel bagged Francis his second Edgar award. It is a fun read that offers a fast paced, suspenseful story with a great look at the world of English horse racing written by an insider. ( )
  danhammang | Aug 1, 2019 |
I like almost anything written by Dick Francis, but this is one of his best. If you are not familiar with his books, Dick Francis writes mysteries that involve English horse racing, generally from a jockey's perspective, and always bring in information about some other profession. They are always well-researched and well-written. The male characters are usually very complete. They are usually all separate books (not a continuing series) but Sid Halley, this book's main character, is a repeat and a great protagonist.
  400mom | Nov 23, 2016 |
I like Dick Francis. A reliable and enjoyable read. English horse racing. (Always listen for the voices.) This one about Sid Haley. Ex-jockey (because he lost his hand). Figuring out what's wrong with racing. . . What not to like. ( )
  idiotgirl | Dec 25, 2015 |

Dick Francisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lundgren, AstridTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
this book is for
Mike Gwilym Actor
and
Jacky Stoller Producer
with gratitude and affection
I took the battery out of my arm and fed it into the recharger, and only realized I'd done it when ten seconds later the fingers wouldn't work.

The protagonist Sid Halley is an ex-jockey turned detective who lost his left hand due to an earlier racing accident and subsequent beating by thugs. He is approached by Rosemary Caspar, a trainer's wife, to look into problems at her husband's racing stables. Horses which did extremely well as two-year olds are unexpectedly failing as three year olds. In addition, Sid Halley's ex-father-in-law, Charles, asks Sid to try and find a man who has conned Sid's ex-wife Jenny and left her facing a possible jail sentence over a fake charity. Sid is also approached by both Lord Friarly, a racehorse owner and syndicate member, and Lucas Wainwright, the head of the security service at the Jockey Club, to look into certain syndicates and how they got through the Jockey Club's checking process.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,504,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible