Here Comes Everybody: The Power of Organizing Without Organizations

by Clay Shirky

1,784566,726 (4)22
An examination of how the rapid spread of new forms of social interaction enabled by technology is changing the way humans form groups and exist within them, with profound long-term economic and social effects--for good and for ill. Our age's new technologies of social networking are evolving, and evolving us, into new groups doing new things in new ways, and old and new groups alike doing the old things better and more easily. Hierarchical structures that exist to manage the work of groups are seeing their raisons d'e^tre swiftly eroded by the rising tide. Business models are being destroyed, transformed, born at dizzying speeds, and the larger social impact is profound. Clay Shirky is one of our wisest observers of the transformational power of the new forms of tech-enabled social interaction, and this is his reckoning with the ramifications of all this on what we do and who we are.--From publisher description.Discusses and uses examples of how digital networks transform the ability of humans to gather and cooperate with one another.… (more)

English (50)  Dutch (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  French (1)  All languages (56)
What a fascinating book! That is the only way I can describe it. I also consider it a wake up call to institutions like higher education. Recognize the power of amateur communications and adopt the methods or suffer surprise as other organizations have. Clay Shirky's book, Here Comes Everybody: The Power of Organizing Without Organizations* should be on everyone's shelf. Through countless stories, Shirky explains how various technologies have disrupted the status quo. He explains how people have organized and made a significant difference without the overhead of a formal organization. Across eleven chapters, Shirky presents stories and technologies, and more importantly, he explains how the technologies caused a disruption in the status quo. Many of these disruptions, as he pointed out, would not be possible without the right technology. He shares examples such as the Catholic Church scandals where incidents were once swept under the rug; however, because of new technologies recent incidents had a groundswell of resistance due to the ease of communication. Read more ( )
  skrabut | Sep 2, 2020 |
Stopped about a quarter of the way in - just wasn't really feeling the easy-reading, pop approach. Interesting stuff, but found myself arguing against too many bits and bobs. Read it if you like though. ( )
  6loss | Nov 7, 2019 |
Clay Shirky è indubbiamente uno degli autori più capaci oggi di analizzare i cambiamenti sociali provocati dall’avvento su larga scala di social media e social network, con una prosa leggera, quanto coinvolgente e ricca di casi, esempi, spiegazioni comprensibili a tutti. Se leggi abitualmente questo genere di libri, in Uno per uno, tutti per tutti finirai col trovare storie che in qualche caso avrai già sentito. Un po’ perché il libro è stato pubblicato nel febbraio del 2008, un po’ perché è così circolato tra gli addetti ai lavori che molti ne hanno ripreso le storie.

Shirky ci racconta come i cambiamenti che stiamo vivendo siano ormai irreversibili e che sia meglio coglierne i benefici, piuttosto che starsi a lamentare dei problemi che portano con sé. Un riferimento molto chiaro è ai giornalisti e alla crisi dei giornali. Una buona parte del libro è destinata a mostrare e illustrare la dinamica dei gruppi che si formano sui servizi online e il funzionamento e il successo di siti web ormai noti al grande pubblico come Wikipedia, Flickr, Twitter, MySpace, Meetup e molti altri.

Oggi, mossi da una causa comune, abbiamo strumenti facili da usare e a basso costo che ci consentono di mobilitarci e avere effetti concreti sulla società, cosa impensabile e irrealizzabile nella stessa portata solo pochi anni fa. Vale una riflessione. ( )
  lucaconti | Jan 24, 2019 |
Awesome book on how communities form and work. Uses some great examples of real works crowds, that I've actually heard about or even seen myself, so that's a good thing.

Several excellent explanations about social media, and it's impact, mine has several highlight marks, and page tabs in it. It's a keeper. ( )
  jwilker | May 23, 2018 |
I'm having trouble figuring out exactly why I like Clay Shirky so much. I have a few candidates for the main reason. First, he tends to have insightful things to say about topics I'm interested in. My favorite thing he has done is his lecture "Ontology is Overrated". However, while I'm not accusing him of being derivative, I can trace many of the ideas I like best in Shirky's work to Yochai Benkler.

So that leads me to think that perhaps what I like best about Shirky's work is his particular genius at finding interesting and revealing examples from which he extrapolates his key insights. In Here Comes Everybody, he tells the story of the lost phone, uses a wonderful comparison of reading social networking to hanging out in the mall. (It's not over-sharing, it's over-listening. On the web, someone like me can complain about vapid noise on Facebook, but if I were at the mall listening in to teens telling their stories it would be clear that I was the creepy one and the kids are just being kids.) From chapter to chapter, Shirky finds good examples and uses them to tease out what he thinks are the key principles.

The third candidate for "Why Nick like Clay Shirky so damn much" is that I tend to agree with his assertions. The printing press *IS* the best comparison for the read/write web. More *is* different. (We're both Internet exceptionalists.)

So, whether it is the quality of his insight, the power of his examples, or the persuasiveness of his conclusions, I tend to be a Shirky fan. Here Comes Everybody is an excellent example of his work and a must-read for anyone trying to make sense of what the current (or formerly current) state of communication technology is doing to us as a society. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
It's the kind of a book that you can open to any page and be delighted by -- especially if you love the Internet -- and the kind of a book that you'll want to read aloud from to your friends.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Feb 28, 2008)

The thing is, Internet books are inevitably either cheerleadery or chidey, and Shirky is a cheerleader.
added by Katya0133 | editTechnology Review, Emily Gould

Shirky's terrific new book, "Here Comes Everybody: The Power of Organizing Without Organizations," is an excellent primer for those journalists who feel confused by the impact technology is having on their
industry.
added by Katya0133 | editNieman Reports, Joshua Benton

Sacrificing rigor for readability, Here Comes Everybody is an entertaining as well as informative romp through some of the Internet’s signal moments.
added by Katya0133 | editIEEE Spectrum, Bruce Schneier

A perceptive appraisal of the contemporary technology-society interface.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Gilbert Taylor

For Almaz
On an afternoon in late May 2006 a woman named Ivanna left her phone in the backseat of a New York City cab.

IN

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,842,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible