Here Comes Everybody: How Change Happens…

Here Comes Everybody: How Change Happens when People Come Together (edition 2009)

by Clay Shirky

1,720546,141 (4.01)22
Member:fakelvis
Title:Here Comes Everybody: How Change Happens when People Come Together
Authors:Clay Shirky
Info:Penguin (2009), Edition: First Thus, Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:***

Here Comes Everybody: The Power of Organizing Without Organizations by Clay Shirky

Recently added byBourgeois, BenCorcoran, nielsbom, scottkirkwood, nkmunn, BrunaPressArchive, claudio.marchisio, private library
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding

English (48)  Dutch (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  French (1)  All languages (54)
Awesome book on how communities form and work. Uses some great examples of real works crowds, that I've actually heard about or even seen myself, so that's a good thing.

Several excellent explanations about social media, and it's impact, mine has several highlight marks, and page tabs in it. It's a keeper. ( )
  jwilker | May 23, 2018 |
I'm having trouble figuring out exactly why I like Clay Shirky so much. I have a few candidates for the main reason. First, he tends to have insightful things to say about topics I'm interested in. My favorite thing he has done is his lecture "Ontology is Overrated". However, while I'm not accusing him of being derivative, I can trace many of the ideas I like best in Shirky's work to Yochai Benkler.

So that leads me to think that perhaps what I like best about Shirky's work is his particular genius at finding interesting and revealing examples from which he extrapolates his key insights. In Here Comes Everybody, he tells the story of the lost phone, uses a wonderful comparison of reading social networking to hanging out in the mall. (It's not over-sharing, it's over-listening. On the web, someone like me can complain about vapid noise on Facebook, but if I were at the mall listening in to teens telling their stories it would be clear that I was the creepy one and the kids are just being kids.) From chapter to chapter, Shirky finds good examples and uses them to tease out what he thinks are the key principles.

The third candidate for "Why Nick like Clay Shirky so damn much" is that I tend to agree with his assertions. The printing press *IS* the best comparison for the read/write web. More *is* different. (We're both Internet exceptionalists.)

So, whether it is the quality of his insight, the power of his examples, or the persuasiveness of his conclusions, I tend to be a Shirky fan. Here Comes Everybody is an excellent example of his work and a must-read for anyone trying to make sense of what the current (or formerly current) state of communication technology is doing to us as a society. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
This book made me feel a little bit smarter for every chapter, and was a real page turner which is unusual for non-fiction. ( )
1 vote Ingyplingy | Sep 2, 2014 |
A good examination of the ways new social tools have changed our society and will continue to do so. Although the book is already more than four years old, an eternity in the world of Internet commentary, most of what he has to say is still valid—and because his tone is measured and he avoids gee-whizzing, it's not hard to imagine where he would have gone with his ideas in 2012.

Shirky takes off from the concept of Coasian economics, market theory originated by Ronald Coase in 1937 that looked at the contractual costs and benefits of hierarchical organizations and their advantages over the free market. The premise here is that because online communications have lowered the cost of gathering groups of people together—whether in money, effort, time, materials, or manpower—this radically alters all sorts of equations throughout society. He cycles through a series of anecdotal scenarios to make his points, explaining them clearly and relevantly, without jargon; the examples are well-picked and illustrate his ideas without being heavy-handed. And his commentary is open-ended enough that you can sit back afterward and extrapolate on how it bears on the wired world of 2012, what works and fails online, and why. It's smart and thoughtful, and still relevant—no mean feat for an Internet sociology study. ( )
  lisapeet | Dec 31, 2013 |
Pre-dates the explosion in social media as corporate and personal branding platform, so, somewhat dated. That said, the big ideas remain relevant--and recent history provides a useful lens for understanding the internet today. ( )
  amelish | Sep 12, 2013 |
It's the kind of a book that you can open to any page and be delighted by -- especially if you love the Internet -- and the kind of a book that you'll want to read aloud from to your friends.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Feb 28, 2008)

The thing is, Internet books are inevitably either cheerleadery or chidey, and Shirky is a cheerleader.
added by Katya0133 | editTechnology Review, Emily Gould

Shirky's terrific new book, "Here Comes Everybody: The Power of Organizing Without Organizations," is an excellent primer for those journalists who feel confused by the impact technology is having on their
industry.
added by Katya0133 | editNieman Reports, Joshua Benton

Sacrificing rigor for readability, Here Comes Everybody is an entertaining as well as informative romp through some of the Internet’s signal moments.
added by Katya0133 | editIEEE Spectrum, Bruce Schneier

A perceptive appraisal of the contemporary technology-society interface.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Gilbert Taylor

For Almaz
On an afternoon in late May 2006 a woman named Ivanna left her phone in the backseat of a New York City cab.
IN

Discusses and uses examples of how digital networks transform the ability of humans to gather and cooperate with one another.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,848,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible