The cruelest month by Louise Penny

The cruelest month (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Louise Penny

Member:christiguc
Title:The cruelest month
Authors:Louise Penny (Author)
Info:New York: St. Martin's Minotaur, 2008.
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, female author, canadian, canada, quebec, montreal, three pines, crime, mystery, family, police procedural, male detective, police detective, gamache, series-3rd, st. martin's press, st. martin's minotaur, macmillan, bookshelf07, read2013, TIOLI

The Cruellest Month by Louise Penny (2007)

Recently added byLauraHoyano, private library, LauraCerone, rnbwpnt, DeniseMcGee, chriscg88, Llin5, SuzanneW

English (89)  French (1)  All languages (90)
This is the third book in Louise Penny's Chief Inspector Gamache delightful series. This time, there are witches and seances, and of course, murder.

It does help to read or listen to these books in order because there is backstory that is helpful to know, or at least, makes the books more interesting. I've listened to these first three books, and because I am woefully ignorant of French pronunciation, it takes me awhile to figure out the names and who is who. The narrator though, is excellent.

Gamache has enemies, nothing new there. There are ongoing characters in the series, as well as the introduction of new ones. I especially like curmudgeonly ol' Ruth.

For those who like mysteries that aren't overly grisly, this is a fun series. ( )
1 vote TooBusyReading | Apr 4, 2016 |
Well, I'm finally enjoying a "cozy". Three Pines reminds me of my childhood experiences in Milford, PA at my mother's cousins home. ( )
  Elleneer | Mar 25, 2016 |
This Inspector Gamache story again brought out old secrets and childhood hurts. I learned about a whole new group of people from Three Pines, and more about the familiar faces. The killer was who I should have suspected, but did not anticipate. I enjoy the relaxed thoughtful pace of these books. I was also glad to finally learn about the Arnot case and have some resolution there ( )
  MelAnnC | Feb 29, 2016 |
Inspector Ganache of the Quebec Surit̩ has his hands full solving the murder of a woman who was scared to death during a seance and finding out who is trying to destroy his career. It's a book you won't want to put down. (Note: you should read the Still Life and A Fatal Grace first.) ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
I loved this book, and I love this series! Can't wait to read number4! ( )
  crazeedi73 | Jan 30, 2016 |

Louise Pennyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chabalier, LouiseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nagano, KiyomiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saint-Germain, MichelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stumpf, AndreaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werbeck, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
April is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire . . .
- T.S. Eliot, The Waste Land
For my brother Rob and his wonderful family, Audi, Kim, Adam and Sarah, with love
Kneeling in the fragrant moist grass of the village green Clara Morrow carefully hid the Easter egg and thought about raising the dead, which she planned to do right after supper.

Chief Insp. Armand Gamache and his team investigate another bizarre crime in the tiny Québec village of Three Pines in Penny's expertly plotted third cozy (after 2007's A Fatal Grace). As the townspeople gather in the abandoned and perhaps haunted Hadley house for a séance with a visiting psychic, Madeleine Favreau collapses, apparently dead of fright. No one has a harsh word to say about Madeleine, but Gamache knows there's more to the case than meets the eye. Complicating his inquiry are the repercussions of Gamache having accused his popular superior at the Sûreté du Québec of heinous crimes in a previous case. Fearing there might be a mole on his team, Gamache works not only to solve the murder but to clear his name. Arthur Ellis Award–winner Penny paints a vivid picture of the French-Canadian village, its inhabitants and a determined detective who will strike many Agatha Christie fans as a 21st-century version of Hercule Poirot. (Mar.)

HEADLINE EDITION:
IT'S EASTER, AND ON A PERFECT SPRING DAY IN PEACEFUL THREE PINES, SOMEONE WAITS FOR NIGHT TO FALL. THEY PLAN TO RAISE THE DEAD...
When C.I. Armand Gamache of the Sûreté du Quebec is called to the village the next morning he faces an unusual crime scene. A séance in an old, abandoned house has gone horrifically wrong and a villager lies still, spirited away - apparently frightened to death.
Gamache soon discovers that in idyllic Three Pines not all is as it should be. Toxic secrets lie buried, and something fetid and festering has clawed its way out. And even Gamache has something to hide. He is shielding his team from a terrible truth. A powerful enemy within the Sûreté has planted a traitor amongst them. Who will betray him? And how far will they go to ensure Gamache's downfall?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312944500, Mass Market Paperback)

When a group of villagers decide to celebrate Easter with a séance at the Old Hadley House, they are hoping to rid the town of its evil—until one of their party dies of fright. Was this a natural death? Or was the victim somehow helped along?

Enter Chief Inspector Armand Gamache. He knows evil when he sees it. But this time, he’s investigating a case that will force him to face his very own ghosts...as well as those residing in this seemingly idyllic town. Are the residents of Three Pines hiding something great and sinister about their past? Or is April about to deliver on its fateful threat?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:42 -0400)

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the S?urete du Quebec is called to investigate the death of a villager at an Easter seance that was held at the Old Hadley House.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,881,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible