The cruelest month : a Three Pines mystery…

The cruelest month : a Three Pines mystery (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Louise Penny

Member:paspas
Title:The cruelest month : a Three Pines mystery
Authors:Louise Penny
Info:New York : St. Martin's Minotaur, 2008.
Rating:*****

The Cruellest Month by Louise Penny (2007)

English (99)  French (1)  All (100)
Fourth in the series, and just as enjoyable as the rest. This one concerned a woman who died of fright during a sceance. But Gamache finds out the woman had a heart condition, and had been drugged. This book resolved the conspiracy against Gamache from someone inside the Sûreté. As usual with this series there were many suspects, each with their own motives, and I was completely unable to guess who the perpetrator was. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
In the third Inspector Gamache mystery, a woman dies during a seance and, contrary to popular opinion, she wasn’t “scared to death”; it was murder. Gamache and his team descend on Three Pines and begin to focus in on suspects while enjoying the comfy accommodations at the local B&B and delightful dinners with long-time residents who, by now, I’m pretty sure will never be the target of investigation.

However, in this novel the “whodunnit” is almost secondary to a story from Gamache’s past. In previous books, Louise Penny dropped hints about a case which left Gamache at odds with the Quebec police force; in this novel she finally explains it all, and matters come to a head in Gamache’s personal and professional life. This was a welcome plot thread, especially because the murder and the ensuing investigation struck me as contrived. Even so, I enjoy spending time in Three Pines and I will be back for more. ( )
  lauralkeet | Jun 22, 2017 |
A séance in Quebec's Three Pines goes wrong in a fatal way, and it's up to Team Gamache to visit the village, interview the eclectic and interesting locals, and solve the crime. Which, of course, they do. Along the way, there are also some more ripples on the Arnot front, also know as the Sûreté mess that just won't go away. Fortunately for Chief Inspector Gamache, he's well aware of whom to trust and whom to question on his own investigative team. Unfortunately, he's not quite as good at that when it comes to his peers and superiors. Will some misplaced trust finally do him in? Don't ask me; I'm not telling! ( )
  jimgysin | Jun 19, 2017 |
Ill-feelings and resentments prevent them from working effectively as a team, but that doesn't stop Gamache, and there may be enough pique left simmering for the next in the series. This was my third book by Penny, the first in audio format, and I enjoyed it more than the previous two. The audio version was more appealing to me, and I give credit to the excellent reading by Ralph Cosham that provided more of a sense of place. ( )
  VivienneR | Mar 20, 2017 |
There were two major plots in this book, and the other was primary in my mind, so that I didn't focus much on the murder and never solved it. I'm glad that the other plot (which has carried over the first three books) has apparently concluded. Now Penny will have to come up with another outside issue to give the reader added interest in the characters. I am enjoying the Gamache books because all the characters are varied, interesting, and each is quirky in their own way. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Mar 16, 2017 |

Louise Pennyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chabalier, LouiseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nagano, KiyomiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saint-Germain, MichelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stumpf, AndreaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werbeck, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
April is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire . . .
- T.S. Eliot, The Waste Land
For my brother Rob and his wonderful family, Audi, Kim, Adam and Sarah, with love
Kneeling in the fragrant moist grass of the village green Clara Morrow carefully hid the Easter egg and thought about raising the dead, which she planned to do right after supper.

Chief Insp. Armand Gamache and his team investigate another bizarre crime in the tiny Québec village of Three Pines in Penny's expertly plotted third cozy (after 2007's A Fatal Grace). As the townspeople gather in the abandoned and perhaps haunted Hadley house for a séance with a visiting psychic, Madeleine Favreau collapses, apparently dead of fright. No one has a harsh word to say about Madeleine, but Gamache knows there's more to the case than meets the eye. Complicating his inquiry are the repercussions of Gamache having accused his popular superior at the Sûreté du Québec of heinous crimes in a previous case. Fearing there might be a mole on his team, Gamache works not only to solve the murder but to clear his name. Arthur Ellis Award–winner Penny paints a vivid picture of the French-Canadian village, its inhabitants and a determined detective who will strike many Agatha Christie fans as a 21st-century version of Hercule Poirot. (Mar.)

HEADLINE EDITION:
IT'S EASTER, AND ON A PERFECT SPRING DAY IN PEACEFUL THREE PINES, SOMEONE WAITS FOR NIGHT TO FALL. THEY PLAN TO RAISE THE DEAD...
When C.I. Armand Gamache of the Sûreté du Quebec is called to the village the next morning he faces an unusual crime scene. A séance in an old, abandoned house has gone horrifically wrong and a villager lies still, spirited away - apparently frightened to death.
Gamache soon discovers that in idyllic Three Pines not all is as it should be. Toxic secrets lie buried, and something fetid and festering has clawed its way out. And even Gamache has something to hide. He is shielding his team from a terrible truth. A powerful enemy within the Sûreté has planted a traitor amongst them. Who will betray him? And how far will they go to ensure Gamache's downfall?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312944500, Mass Market Paperback)

When a group of villagers decide to celebrate Easter with a séance at the Old Hadley House, they are hoping to rid the town of its evil—until one of their party dies of fright. Was this a natural death? Or was the victim somehow helped along?

Enter Chief Inspector Armand Gamache. He knows evil when he sees it. But this time, he’s investigating a case that will force him to face his very own ghosts...as well as those residing in this seemingly idyllic town. Are the residents of Three Pines hiding something great and sinister about their past? Or is April about to deliver on its fateful threat?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:42 -0400)

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the S?urete du Quebec is called to investigate the death of a villager at an Easter seance that was held at the Old Hadley House.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,236,581 books! | Top bar: Always visible