A Personal Stand: Observations and Opinions…

A Personal Stand: Observations and Opinions from a Freethinking Roughneck

by Trace Adkins

I love Trace Adkins so naturally when his book came out I wanted to learn more about him. This book was very enlightening. I had no idea what his life was like and was very surprised at some of the stories.

I did not realize how many times he had been married or that his first wife shot him, haha. I also was unaware that he really was a roughneck, just thought it was a way to describe himself on the cover to get us interested. I also admired his hard work to get where he is today. The road to his success was not paved with gold. He worked really hard to get where he is and it took a long time.

I like that he doesn't make excuses for his past misbehavior. He takes full responsibility for the mistakes and wrongdoings in his life. He also is not afraid to stand up for what he believes in. I may not agree with all his opinions but this book just made me respect him so much more. If you are a fan I definitely recommend that you read this book. ( )
  Leeny182 | Jul 15, 2009 |
I love his music - not so sure about his politics. You know the old joke about someone being to the right of Atilla the Hun? Well, with Trace, it's no joke. ( )
  irishwasherwoman | Jan 30, 2009 |
I can't say I agree with everything Adkins writes, but that's a big part of the beauty of this book. This really is a straight-up outlining of commentary--editorial style I suppose--from his point of view. However, what brings it is that he explains every opinion he has, and he does it with intelligence. He may state quite a few times that he doesn't care what you think of him, but it's obvious at the very least that he wants you to understand why he's saying it. I so often run into people who have one reason for something they believe, and they can do little more than repeat that one (usually superficial) idea if pulled into a conversation. I run into others who simply don't care to explain, or couldn't explain if they had to. As a result, this was refreshing.

Adkins discusses everything from country music to the Iraq war, drilling in Alaska (and elsewhere) to poverty, and 9/11 to raising children. There's enough of his own personal life here to take a break from the more serious topics as well, and you really do get a glimpse into another life and individual in America, one who is neither worried about putting on airs nor stepping on toes.

On the whole, this wasn't fancy writing or an extreme page-turner. However, it was interesting and thought-provoking. I imagine that everyone reading it will find something to nod their head at, and something to disagree with (for me, the environment and education...), but they'll also get a glimpse into the other side of thought. I wouldn't be surprised if this read didn't teach quite a few readers a thing or too also--I certainly learned a bit about the Civil War and off-shore drilling; the randomness of those topics should give you a hint on how unpredictable this read is, and how refreshing the honesty as well. ( )
  whitewavedarling | May 17, 2008 |

Country music superstar Trace Adkins isn’t exactly known for holding back what’s on his mind. And if the millions of albums he’s sold are any indication, when Trace talks, people listen. Now, in A Personal Stand, Trace Adkins delivers his maverick manifesto on politics, personal responsibility, fame, parenting, being true to yourself, hard work, and the way things oughta be.

In his inimitable pull-no-punches style, Trace gives us the state of the union as he sees it, from the lessons of his boyhood in small-town Louisiana to what he’s learned headlining concerts around the world. Trace has worked oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico, been shot in the heart, been inducted into the Grand Ole Opry, and braved perhaps the greatest challenge of all: being the father of five daughters. And shaped by these experiences, he’s sounding off.

• I’m incredibly frustrated with the state of American politics. If there were a viable third party, I’d seriously consider joining it.
• If anybody wonders who the good guys are and who the bad guys are in this world, just look at the way we teach our children as opposed to the way the fundamentalist Muslims teach their children.
• Organized labor now exists for the sake of organized labor, and not for the workers it once protected.
• I believe the easiest way to solve the illegal immigration enforcement problem is to go after the employers who hire illegal aliens.
• As a society, we’re unwilling to sacrifice our luxuries and our conveniences in order to conserve. We won’t change until we’re forced to.
• The war on terror is like herpes. People can live with it, but it’ll flare up from time to time.

Brash, ballsy, persuasive, and controversial, A Personal Stand isn’t just the story of Trace Adkins’s life; it’s the story of what life can teach all of us.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:53 -0400)

Country music star Adkins isn't known for holding back what's on his mind. And if his album sales are any indication, when Trace talks, people listen. Here, he delivers his maverick manifesto on politics, personal responsibility, fame, parenting, being true to yourself, hard work, and the way things ought to be.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,363,425 books! | Top bar: Always visible