One Day On Beetle Rock by Sally Carrighar

One Day On Beetle Rock (original 1944; edition 1968)

by Sally Carrighar, Henry B. Kane

Nine animals spend a spring day on Beetle Rock, a large expanse of granite in Sequoia National Park.
Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:One Day On Beetle Rock
Authors:Sally Carrighar
Other authors:Henry B. Kane
Info:New York, Pyramid Books, 1965, c1944
Collections:Your library, Currently reading, Working on
Tags:Fic, Animals, !Sale:YS, __scanned

One Day on Beetle Rock by Sally Carrighar (1944)

This is a lovely book, which I really enjoyed. Some folks have a problem with anthropomorphizing but it doesn't bother me. What was really intriguing is that Beetle Rock is in Sequoia National Park, just down the road from me. I'm having daydreams about letting my grandson read this book (it's written for adults, but he reads well above his grade level) and then we could go find Beetle Rock, and sit quietly and see what we can see for ourselves! ( )
  Aspenhugger | Mar 6, 2013 |
Based on several summers' observations of wildlife in Sequoia National Park, One Day on Beetle Rock describes the lives of nine different animals, crossing paths and spanning twenty-four hours on a singular location. Each chapter outlines events of the same day through the experience of a different animal: weasel, Sierra grouse, chickadee, black bear, lizard, coyote, deer mouse, stellar jay and mule deer. Written like a novel and full of detailed information on each species, this is one of my favorite pieces of nature writing. If you've ever wondered what the business of day-to-day life is like for another species, this book is an excellent read. It gives a strong picture of what each creature's sensations, concerns and consciousness might be like, without over-anthropomorphizing them.

Dog Ear Diary ( )
2 vote jeane | Mar 16, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,918,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible