The Giving Tree 40th Anniversary Edition…

The Giving Tree 40th Anniversary Edition Book with CD (original 1964; edition 2004)

by Shel Silverstein, Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)

Member:AlexisF
Title:The Giving Tree 40th Anniversary Edition Book with CD
Authors:Shel Silverstein
Other authors:Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)
Info:
Tags:Giving, unconditional love, trees, acceptance

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (1964)

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (the_awesome_opossum)
    the_awesome_opossum: Two children's books that both emotionally "grow up" as the reader does
    The Lorax by Dr. Seuss (snozzberry)
    snozzberry: Another great book about the importance of trees.
    Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel (snozzberry)
    snozzberry: Another great picture book about an important tree.
    Mr. Fooster Traveling on a Whim by Tom Corwin (bertilak)
    The Rainbow Stick Boy by Michael Santolini (Anonymous user)
    Owen by Kevin Henkes (lbush005)
    lbush005: Did a children's story project in college class, a class mate did her project on this story. Great morals!!
    The Iliad and the Odyssey by Homer (teresasobral)

This book has now become one of my favorite poetry books. I loved how the illustrations made it seem as if I was watching a movie with a narrator. I also enjoyed how the sentences made you turn the page to find out the rest of the sentence because they were broken apart. I love how Shel Silverstein uses ink and pen for the majority of his books, it give the books character and makes it memorable. I love how the book is about a tree and a boy because it makes me appreciate nature more. The overall message of this book was to give a new appreciation for nature because the tree loved the boy and the boy loved the tree. ( )
  Madison94 | Oct 21, 2014 |
Great coming of age book, the tree cared for him just as a parent would its child. ( )
  aosby8 | Oct 20, 2014 |
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Shel Silverstein is always brilliant! His rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading! ( )
1 vote grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
Summary: The boy, young and naïve, befriends a tree, young and yearning for love. The tree is able to provide the boy with abundant gifts such as leaves, apples, shade, branches, and an enormous amount of fun times. As the years went by and the boy grew up the tree became lonely and joyless because she could not give the boy what he needed. Eventually the boy came back and the cycle of giving continued until the boy was an old man and the tree was only a stump.

Review: Silverstein embarks on another wonderful and realistic story that shares his deeper message about selfless love. Throughout the entire story the tree shows selfless love through all of her gifts. The gifts that she gave the boy were small pieces of herself; things that she would eventually, like her trunk, would not be able to grow back. She was so happy to give her whole self away to let the boy be as happy as he could be, even down to when he needed a seat and she was merely a stump. The selfless love that is shared throughout the story is able to let the readers relate to a loved one in their lives that might give them selfless love and it may make the readers think about the next time their loved one acts on love. ( )
  Kweber8 | Oct 16, 2014 |
I liked this book for two reasons. One reason I liked this book was for the way it was written. I really liked the way that the writing flowed throughout the story. It made the story enjoyable to read. Another reason I liked this book was for the illustrations. The drawings were simple and in black and white but I think that is what made them great. It added just enough to the story without taking away from the actual story. Overall, I think that the message of this book is about selfless love which is shown through the trees love for the boy. ( )
  akwon3 | Oct 15, 2014 |
For Nicky
Once there was a tree...
This is the main work, it is NOT the latin equivalent which falls under the dead language exception and should NOT be combined with this work. Take it to the Combiners! group before continuing.

The Giving Tree is a story about a tree who is willing to give everything for this one boy. As the boy grows older into a teenager, adult, and an old man, the tree gives him some part of it. The story is showing the importance of generosity and how we should be generous so that we can make others happy. Eventhough the tree is only left with the base of its trunk in the end, both the tree and the old man get what they both want--tree wants to have more take with the old man, and the old man wants a place to relax and sit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256656, Hardcover)

To say that this particular apple tree is a "giving tree" is an understatement. In Shel Silverstein's popular tale of few words and simple line drawings, a tree starts out as a leafy playground, shade provider, and apple bearer for a rambunctious little boy. Making the boy happy makes the tree happy, but with time it becomes more challenging for the generous tree to meet his needs. When he asks for money, she suggests that he sell her apples. When he asks for a house, she offers her branches for lumber. When the boy is old, too old and sad to play in the tree, he asks the tree for a boat. She suggests that he cut her down to a stump so he can craft a boat out of her trunk. He unthinkingly does it. At this point in the story, the double-page spread shows a pathetic solitary stump, poignantly cut down to the heart the boy once carved into the tree as a child that said "M.E. + T." "And then the tree was happy... but not really." When there's nothing left of her, the boy returns again as an old man, needing a quiet place to sit and rest. The stump offers up her services, and he sits on it. "And the tree was happy." While the message of this book is unclear (Take and take and take? Give and give and give? Complete self-sacrifice is good? Complete self-sacrifice is infinitely sad?), Silverstein has perhaps deliberately left the book open to interpretation. (All ages) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:22 -0400)

A young boy grows to manhood and old age experiencing the love and generosity of a tree which gives to him without thought of return.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,420,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible