The Giving Tree 40th Anniversary Edition…

The Giving Tree 40th Anniversary Edition Book with CD (original 1964; edition 2004)

by Shel Silverstein, Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)

Member:AlexisF
Title:The Giving Tree 40th Anniversary Edition Book with CD
Authors:Shel Silverstein
Other authors:Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2004), Hardcover, 64 pages
Tags:Giving, unconditional love, trees, acceptance

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (1964)

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (the_awesome_opossum)
    the_awesome_opossum: Two children's books that both emotionally "grow up" as the reader does
    The Lorax by Dr. Seuss (snozzberry)
    snozzberry: Another great book about the importance of trees.
    Mr. Fooster Traveling on a Whim by Tom Corwin (bertilak)
    Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel (snozzberry)
    snozzberry: Another great picture book about an important tree.
    The Illiad and the Odyssey of Homer, translated by Alexander Pope by Homer (teresasobral)
    Owen by Kevin Henkes (lbush005)
    lbush005: Did a children's story project in college class, a class mate did her project on this story. Great morals!!

This book is also one of my new favorites! I loved having this book read to me. The illustrations were simple white and black, but the story made up for that. In this book the author sends a very moving message about being happy with what you have and not being greedy. A great story for people of all ages. ( )
  Lwatso7 | Apr 20, 2015 |
In my opinion this is a wonderful story about unconditional love that every child should be given the chance to read. I am disappointed that this was not a book that I was introduced as a child but am happy that I have had the opportunity to read it now. This story is about selfless love between a tree and a boy. The language is kept simple and clear making it an easy read to follow along with. The writing is also very well paced, advancing the story with every line. The characters are well believable and the tree can be associated with any sort of guardian that takes care of a child and will do anything to make them happy. The tree gives up every thing they have for child that grows up to be a selfish man where he never has enough. The plot is well organized and easy for children and reader to follow, as you read and watch the boy grow up, the reader, also grows as a person with the topic that this story addresses. This book teaches readers to not be greedy and to be happy with the simple things instead of taking from someone until they have nothing left to give. The big idea of this book is to show the selflessness of a person and the lengths they go to, to make a greedy person such as this boy, happy. ( )
  agassa1 | Apr 20, 2015 |
The giving Tree is a poetic book filled with selfless love. It starts in a positive way in the beginning of the boy's life. As he gets older, the tree feels loneliness and still seeks the love of the boy. She sacrifices all she has to keep him happy. It's a moving book.
  ayala.yannet | Apr 20, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book. I feel it is appropriate for children of all ages. It has a great message and theme behind it. It shows children about tough life lessons through the use of a fantasy concept. It peaks the children's interest and is relatable to them. Once the children are interested and connect to the story, they can absorb the lesson and meaning behind it. It shows children they must give and not always take. They should be grateful for what they have. ( )
  pnieme1 | Apr 19, 2015 |
In my opinion, The Giving Tree, is an excellent book that all young children should have the opportunity to read. I grew up having this read to me and eventually being able to read it myself. It is a creative story that shows children the importance of growing up and not becoming selfish or greedy. It also represents the selfless love from one to another. Personally, I always believed that the tree was in love with the boy as I was growing up. Reading it again as an adult, I see the tree as a mix of a parent and God. Our parents give to their children so selflessly without asking for anything but love in return. This story is brilliantly written so that it can relate to young children without just telling them what they should and shouldn't do. To this day, I am still learning from this story. The Giving Tree is a timeless classic that will continue to help young children grow into wonderful adults. ( )
  kabdo1 | Apr 19, 2015 |
For Nicky
Once there was a tree...
This is the main work, it is NOT the latin equivalent which falls under the dead language exception and should NOT be combined with this work. Take it to the Combiners! group before continuing.

The Giving Tree is a story about a tree who is willing to give everything for this one boy. As the boy grows older into a teenager, adult, and an old man, the tree gives him some part of it. The story is showing the importance of generosity and how we should be generous so that we can make others happy. Eventhough the tree is only left with the base of its trunk in the end, both the tree and the old man get what they both want--tree wants to have more take with the old man, and the old man wants a place to relax and sit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256656, Hardcover)

To say that this particular apple tree is a "giving tree" is an understatement. In Shel Silverstein's popular tale of few words and simple line drawings, a tree starts out as a leafy playground, shade provider, and apple bearer for a rambunctious little boy. Making the boy happy makes the tree happy, but with time it becomes more challenging for the generous tree to meet his needs. When he asks for money, she suggests that he sell her apples. When he asks for a house, she offers her branches for lumber. When the boy is old, too old and sad to play in the tree, he asks the tree for a boat. She suggests that he cut her down to a stump so he can craft a boat out of her trunk. He unthinkingly does it. At this point in the story, the double-page spread shows a pathetic solitary stump, poignantly cut down to the heart the boy once carved into the tree as a child that said "M.E. + T." "And then the tree was happy... but not really." When there's nothing left of her, the boy returns again as an old man, needing a quiet place to sit and rest. The stump offers up her services, and he sits on it. "And the tree was happy." While the message of this book is unclear (Take and take and take? Give and give and give? Complete self-sacrifice is good? Complete self-sacrifice is infinitely sad?), Silverstein has perhaps deliberately left the book open to interpretation. (All ages) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:22 -0400)

A young boy grows to manhood and old age experiencing the love and generosity of a tree which gives to him without thought of return.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,731,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible