The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

The Giving Tree (original 1964; edition 1964)

by Shel Silverstein, Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)

Member:KatieKrivo
Title:The Giving Tree
Authors:Shel Silverstein
Other authors:Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)
Info:Harper & Row (1964), Edition: later printing, Hardcover, 64 pages
Collections:Wishlist
Rating:*****
Tags:growing up, giving

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (1964)

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (the_awesome_opossum)
    the_awesome_opossum: Two children's books that both emotionally "grow up" as the reader does
    The Lorax by Dr. Seuss (snozzberry)
    snozzberry: Another great book about the importance of trees.
    Mr. Fooster Traveling on a Whim by Tom Corwin (bertilak)
    Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel (snozzberry)
    snozzberry: Another great picture book about an important tree.
    The Illiad and the Odyssey of Homer, translated by Alexander Pope by Homer (teresasobral)
    Owen by Kevin Henkes (lbush005)
    lbush005: Did a children's story project in college class, a class mate did her project on this story. Great morals!!

The Giving Tree follows the story of this young boy and how the tree communicate. The tree provides what the boy requests of it. The tree is always willing to provide. It is a sweet story that shows a strong friendship and bond that the reader will have to read what the boy requests and will the tree be able to give the boy all that he asks. ( )
  kxmart | Apr 17, 2015 |
The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
Summary-This is a story about a boy and a tree. The tree gives the boy everything he needs from apples, to a swing, or shade for the boy to sit under. When the boy gets older he stops visiting the tree as often. The tree cares for the boy so much that it gives the boy everything he ask for until it has nothing left. The boy leaves and comes back after many years have passed. The tree is only a stump now. The tree tells the boy who is now an old man that he has nothing left to give. The old man tells the tree he just wants to have a place to sit. The trees happily give the old man a place to rest.
Personal reaction-I thought this book was really good. I think there is a lot of symbolic meaning behind the book. I think that I would use this book in a classroom. I really enjoyed this book.
Classroom extension-
1.“Who is your tree?” Have the students write a paper about who always helps, cares, and loves them.
2. “Be a giving tree” Have the students bring old cloths, food and other items that they can donate to shelters/ a food pantry Talk about how like the tree, we should also help others..
  Sarah0423 | Apr 15, 2015 |
Someone pointed out that if we pay attention to the boy's reactions, we can see a richer story than if we simply empathize with the tree and wish it would say 'enough' and would get a thank you.

The thing is, the boy is this lost mess of insecurities. He doesn't really know what he wants. He keeps thinking that 'more' will satisfy. He doesn't learn to appreciate what friendship and love he could have had until it was gone.

So, yes, feel for the tree, and learn from her not to give too much. But feel for the boy, and learn from him to be thankful for what you do have. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Genre: Fiction, Fantasy, Poem, Concept Recommended for: Primary, Intermediate, Young Adult

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein is arguably one of the most famous children's books published in the last century. It is the story of a little boy and a tree. The book begins with a young boy and a large fruitful tree. As the book progresses, the boy grows older, and so does the tree. The boy and the tree need each other and see each other through life. In this book, Silverstein conveys to readers that it is better to give than to receive. This book, is great for all readers because of the sentimental message it conveys. The book is especially interesting because of the rhythmic text and the progressing story through the illustrations. It is easy to jump in to the story because their is a lot of truth to it. This reality is usually missing in many children's picture books, and for this reason, Silverstein captivates readers of all ages and created a book that was ahead of its time, generating its immense popularity.
  sumnergreen8 | Apr 13, 2015 |
In my opinion this is a great book because it can be interpreted in many different ways. The words portray a strong message in this story. People take things for granted when given knowledge or tangible objects, by the ones they love, as they grow up. When their loved ones are gone or have nothing to give, people realize how selfish they were. After reading this story, I was in tears because I was thinking about my past experiences with my parents. The illustrations are simple and appropriate to the mood of the story because the words are what captivate the reader, not the illustrations. I thought the story was suspenseful near the end of the story because I imagined the boy would bring his children to show the tree or the tree would die. But, neither happened and the boy sat on the tree trunk instead. ( )
  moaks1 | Apr 11, 2015 |
For Nicky
Once there was a tree...
This is the main work, it is NOT the latin equivalent which falls under the dead language exception and should NOT be combined with this work. Take it to the Combiners! group before continuing.

The Giving Tree is a story about a tree who is willing to give everything for this one boy. As the boy grows older into a teenager, adult, and an old man, the tree gives him some part of it. The story is showing the importance of generosity and how we should be generous so that we can make others happy. Eventhough the tree is only left with the base of its trunk in the end, both the tree and the old man get what they both want--tree wants to have more take with the old man, and the old man wants a place to relax and sit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256656, Hardcover)

To say that this particular apple tree is a "giving tree" is an understatement. In Shel Silverstein's popular tale of few words and simple line drawings, a tree starts out as a leafy playground, shade provider, and apple bearer for a rambunctious little boy. Making the boy happy makes the tree happy, but with time it becomes more challenging for the generous tree to meet his needs. When he asks for money, she suggests that he sell her apples. When he asks for a house, she offers her branches for lumber. When the boy is old, too old and sad to play in the tree, he asks the tree for a boat. She suggests that he cut her down to a stump so he can craft a boat out of her trunk. He unthinkingly does it. At this point in the story, the double-page spread shows a pathetic solitary stump, poignantly cut down to the heart the boy once carved into the tree as a child that said "M.E. + T." "And then the tree was happy... but not really." When there's nothing left of her, the boy returns again as an old man, needing a quiet place to sit and rest. The stump offers up her services, and he sits on it. "And the tree was happy." While the message of this book is unclear (Take and take and take? Give and give and give? Complete self-sacrifice is good? Complete self-sacrifice is infinitely sad?), Silverstein has perhaps deliberately left the book open to interpretation. (All ages) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:22 -0400)

A young boy grows to manhood and old age experiencing the love and generosity of a tree which gives to him without thought of return.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,563,882 books! | Top bar: Always visible