The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

The Giving Tree (original 1964; edition 1964)

by Shel Silverstein, Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)

Member:KatieKrivo
Title:The Giving Tree
Authors:Shel Silverstein
Other authors:Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)
Info:Harper & Row (1964), Edition: later printing, Hardcover, 64 pages
Collections:Wishlist
Rating:*****
Tags:growing up, giving

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (1964)

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (the_awesome_opossum)
    the_awesome_opossum: Two children's books that both emotionally "grow up" as the reader does
    The Lorax by Dr. Seuss (snozzberry)
    snozzberry: Another great book about the importance of trees.
    Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel (snozzberry)
    snozzberry: Another great picture book about an important tree.
    Mr. Fooster Traveling on a Whim by Tom Corwin (bertilak)
    The Rainbow Stick Boy by Michael Santolini (Anonymous user)
    Owen by Kevin Henkes (lbush005)
    lbush005: Did a children's story project in college class, a class mate did her project on this story. Great morals!!
    The Iliad and the Odyssey by Homer (teresasobral)

At first I thought the boy was a jerk for just taking all the time until the tree became a stump. But I can see how this book is a wonderful example of giving and selflessness. A good activity to do with students after reading this book is to have them write about things they would give to the tree instead.
  hugo.johnson | Aug 13, 2014 |
I hate The Giving Tree. We should not have to give until we are stumps. My kids always loves it and it depressed me to read it to them. ( )
  smasler | Aug 6, 2014 |
The story is so simple and so sweet. It's all about giving and friendship. You don't have to be a kid to get something from this book. ( )
  krista.rutherford | Jul 27, 2014 |
Summary of book: The Giving Tree is a simple yet touching story about a little boy and his tree. The book details the boys life as he grows older and interacts with the tree in many ways. When he is little, he enjoys playing with the tree. As he gets older he comes back to the tree and tells her that he is too old to play and asks for things from the tree instead. The tree gives him her apples, her leaves, her bark and everything else until she is just a stump. The tree feels sad until the boy comes back to visit, but it very old now. She has nothing left to give him and he says he needs nothing but a place to sit. He sits upon her stump and the man and the tree are happy again.

Personal Reaction: My mother read me this story as a child. I remember thinking the tree was so nice and kind for giving the boy everything she had. I like how at the end of the book, the boy comes back and asks for nothing and they enjoy their time together. It is a picture book, but I feel like the words are just enough to tell the story and make the reader feel an emotional connection with the boy and his tree.

Extension Ideas:
1. I would have the students write a story about a plant or tree in their back yard and describe how they would play or use that tree for other things.
2. I would have the students write a paragraph on who they think the tree reminds them of and who in their life gives them the love that the tree gives the boy.
3. I would make a life-size tree in our classroom and have the children each decorate a few leafs with the nice things they do for each other and that others do for them. We would paste their leafs to the tree. ( )
  Gizellecardiel | Jul 14, 2014 |
Leí la historia y me sentí mal por el árbol, luego vi este "trailer" de la "película": http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/08acf2556f/the-giving-tree

...y se me pasó.

Glire | Jul 7, 2014 |
For Nicky
Once there was a tree...
This is the main work, it is NOT the latin equivalent which falls under the dead language exception and should NOT be combined with this work. Take it to the Combiners! group before continuing.

The Giving Tree is a story about a tree who is willing to give everything for this one boy. As the boy grows older into a teenager, adult, and an old man, the tree gives him some part of it. The story is showing the importance of generosity and how we should be generous so that we can make others happy. Eventhough the tree is only left with the base of its trunk in the end, both the tree and the old man get what they both want--tree wants to have more take with the old man, and the old man wants a place to relax and sit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256656, Hardcover)

To say that this particular apple tree is a "giving tree" is an understatement. In Shel Silverstein's popular tale of few words and simple line drawings, a tree starts out as a leafy playground, shade provider, and apple bearer for a rambunctious little boy. Making the boy happy makes the tree happy, but with time it becomes more challenging for the generous tree to meet his needs. When he asks for money, she suggests that he sell her apples. When he asks for a house, she offers her branches for lumber. When the boy is old, too old and sad to play in the tree, he asks the tree for a boat. She suggests that he cut her down to a stump so he can craft a boat out of her trunk. He unthinkingly does it. At this point in the story, the double-page spread shows a pathetic solitary stump, poignantly cut down to the heart the boy once carved into the tree as a child that said "M.E. + T." "And then the tree was happy... but not really." When there's nothing left of her, the boy returns again as an old man, needing a quiet place to sit and rest. The stump offers up her services, and he sits on it. "And the tree was happy." While the message of this book is unclear (Take and take and take? Give and give and give? Complete self-sacrifice is good? Complete self-sacrifice is infinitely sad?), Silverstein has perhaps deliberately left the book open to interpretation. (All ages) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:22 -0400)

A young boy grows to manhood and old age experiencing the love and generosity of a tree which gives to him without thought of return.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,256,765 books! | Top bar: Always visible