Honey for a Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt

Honey for a Child's Heart (edition 1978)

by Gladys Hunt

Family favorite now revised and updated, including an annotated list of books for ages 0-12 Everything parents need to know to find the best books for their children Since its publication in 1969, this has been an essential guide for parents wanting to find the best books for their children. Now in its fourth edition, Honey for a Child's Heart discusses everything from the ways reading affects both children's view of the world and their imagination to how to choose good books. Illustrated with drawings from dozens of favorites, it includes an indexed and updated list of the best new books on the market and the classics that you want your children to enjoy. Author Gladys Hunt's tastes are broad, her advice is rooted in experience, and her suggestions will enrich the cultural and spiritual life of any home.… (more)
Member:melissawiley
Title:Honey for a Child's Heart
Authors:Gladys Hunt
Info:Zondervan Pub. House. (1978), Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:education, homeschooling, booklists

Honey for a Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt

"Honey For A Child's Heart" by Gladys Hunt is a
wonderful resource for parents and their
children. Anyone who wants to provide good books
for children will value this book. The first
two-thirds of the book is a discussion of the
value of books and reading in a child's life and
imagination, the qualities that make a good book,
fantasy, realism, poetry, reading together as a
family, and books that help children grow as
Christians. The text is sprinkled with quotations
from many good books and illustrations from some
children's classics. The last third of the book
is a descriptive bibliography of some of the best
books for children at various age levels,
including a section on poetry and faith-nurturing
books. I'm betting that once parents/teachers of
children become acquainted with this resource,
they'll want to purchase their own copy.
(Carolyn Vance)
  NCFChampaign | Dec 4, 2017 |
I'm always looking for more children's book lists.  Don't ask me why; I've got a to-read list a mile long already.  But I heard of this, and my library had it, so I tried it.  As best as I can tell, Part One, the text, is a mix of advice to obvious to bother with (read aloud to your children!) and advice not worth adopting (have your children read The Water-Babies!).  Criteria for choosing a good book is too academic for the likely audience.  And it's burdened with lauds to God and Christian values.  Part Two, the list, is actually several lists, heavy on the picture-books, light on the annotations.  I did get a couple of pages of titles I want to investigate that I don't believe are yet on my list, but none of them look so amazing that I'll buy them if they're not at my library.  Overall, not recommended, even to Christians. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
This book is about one-third actual narrative and two-thirds annotated booklists. The first section describes the benefits of reading to children and how to build a family culture of enjoying good books both together and as individuals. The last portion is all booklists divided by age and genre to help the reader find a book to meet a specific need. It's a great mix of story and lists. I have found the lists particularly helpful when my kids wanted a new book to read but had no idea what they were looking for. It has also been helpful when I wanted a book to help mentor them through a specifc situation. The booklists are invaluable! ( )
  JenW1 | May 8, 2014 |
A good selection of sweet books. Not so wonderful I had to own it. But good enough that I want to remember the title. It leans heavily on the earlier years. I would like to see the one for older kids. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
This book is a wonderful reference! While I didn't agree with all of the author's opinions on books (namely Harry Potter), I feel that most of her recommendations are wonderful. ( )
  silva_44 | Oct 30, 2013 |

A discourse of the importance of literature for children, and a bibliography of quality books to read.

Zondervan

An edition of this book was published by Zondervan.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,690,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible