Atomic Lobster by Tim Dorsey

Atomic Lobster

by Tim Dorsey

This is my first Tim Dorsey novel, but I liked it enough to seek out more of his books. At first glance it reminded me of Carl Hiassen's novels, which I enjoy. There is a cast of wacky characters, good guys, bad guys and some in-between. Takes place in Florida.
When I first started reading, it was a little confusing. As each group of characters was introduced, the timeline jumped around and it was hard to keep everything straight. But after a few chapters, it turned into a regular, linear story and I started to enjoy it. I really liked the character Serge. He was funny and had a thirst for knowledge. I especially liked his interactions with Jim. I would like to read more about the two of them. I look forward to reading more from this author and will definitely put him on my list of books to read.
I received this book for free from the goodreads first-reads program. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
I knew nothing about this book, series, or author when I began reading. Dorsey got me with the free Kindle edition offer and I'm glad I downloaded the book. This was just the kind of thing I enjoy reading, a wild romp full of wacky characters, all of them likable in their own ways. I'll be looking for more of Serge (and hopefully the G-Unit!) soon. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Normally, I'm a big fan of antic humor. I'm also a mystery fan, so if you promise me a schlubby, non-assertive guy forced to deal with serial killers who hate the rude, a free-basing, paranoid ex-NFL star, incompetant drug smugglers, burnt out government killers, rule-breaking grannies, and a Clowns vs. Mimes version of Fight Club, well, how could I not be amused? Except that I wasn't, really.

It's my own fault. This is the first Dorsey I've read, and it's clearly a sequel, bringing in charcters from many other Dorsey books. I just never connected with the characters, which might not have been a problem had I read the other books.

So Atomic Lobster gets a low rating, but I reserve the right to adjust if reading the earlier books does make a difference. ( )
  Mrs_McGreevy | Nov 17, 2016 |
The kind of book to cleanse your pallet in between more weighty reads, in the style of carl Hiassen and Dave Barry. Light amusement, if you don't mind all the killing and drugs. ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
This book is basically a convergence of a bunch of individual storylines that all revolve around a particular area of Florida and a group of bad guys that the government is trying to catch. Immediately you are introduced to some of the most ridiculous characters around. And they are mixed in with what seem like perfectly normal people. The further into the story you go the more the story lines cross and every time they cross it is in a more ridiculous manner. I thought this book was hilarious, there were points where I giggled and some ridiculous scenes where the more I pictured them, the funnier they got! With all the hilarity and ridiculousness I do think there was some lack to the plot, which is too bad. When the book ended, it all wrapped up within like 5 pages and I felt like that could’ve happened anywhere in the book, so it didn’t quite leave me satisfied. But it did leave me laughing and for that reason I would read more books by him. This book is very similar to Carl Hiaasen’s Florida books, and if you like those you will like this one too! ( )
  afyfe | Jan 16, 2014 |
For Janine
My name is Edith Grabowski.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060829702, Mass Market Paperback)

Serge A. Storms is back with a bullet, torn between homicide and souvenirs, cranking up the fevered action as the pot boils over on a street called Lobster Lane. It's reunion time in the Sunshine State, and we're not just talking the family jamboree of the blood-soaked McGraw criminal clan, whose nastiest, meanest member, finally released from prison, is heading south bent on revenge. Serge's drug-addled bud Coleman's here as well, torn between getting hammered and getting more hammered, while trying to construct the biggest bong ever. Meanwhile the government is covering up a growing list of mysterious victims across Florida who may or may not be connected to a nefarious plot being hatched against national security. Something has set the Non-Confrontationalists off on a rampage. And everyone is rushing to flee Tampa on a cruise ship to hell.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:35 -0400)

Embarking on a new adventure off the coast of the Sunshine State, psychopath Serge A. Storms and his drug-addled sidekick find themselves surrounded by atypical retirees and drug dealers while working to outmaneuver federal agents and a fugitive murderer.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Tim Dorsey's book Atomic Lobster was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,358,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible