The City in the Lake by Rachel Neumeier

The City in the Lake

by Rachel Neumeier

The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the idea of myriad worlds.
    Stardust by Neil Gaiman (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For stories both darker and lighter than they appear; for original works that feel like a fairy tale.

After reading great reviews of this by Cybils panelists Charlotte's Library and The Puck in the Midden I was intrigued. I thought I'd remembered getting a review copy, so I dug through the never ending piles until I found it.

The City in the Lake is an immensely satisfying book heavy with myth, metaphor, and symbol. It's beautifully written book with a fairy-tale feel but more depth than a fairy tale. I recommend it for anyone who loves rich language, good writing, and depth of plot and characterization, but who doesn't need action around every turn. There is excitement, and suspense, and conflict, but it's not a fast-paced book.

Read my entire review ( )
  SheilaRuth | Aug 23, 2013 |
Oh, book. I tossed you across the room at one point. I don't toss books lightly.

The plot I wholeheartedly disapprove of. The resolution was subtle like a sledgehammer.

The saving grace was the characters--they were the only reason I finished this. I love some of them, but that's no great victory for the author: they're made to be loved.

I do not recommend this book, and I think the wonderful characters are reduced by being in it.

I would give it negative stars if I could.
  GinnyTea | Mar 31, 2013 |
Medievaloid fantasy with an interestingly different magic system and a slightly dreamlike quality. ( )
  readinggeek451 | Jul 6, 2011 |
Reminds me of the best of Patricia McKillip. Bears a striking resemblance in tone to both Alphabet of Thorn and The Book of Atrix Wolfe. ( )
  smileyman | Jun 12, 2011 |
The kingdom's heart, its prince, has disappeared and no one can find him. Across the kingdom things begin to go seriously wrong, and Kapoen the mage sets out for the city to see what he can do to help, cautioning his daughter Timou to stay at home and not come seeking after him. But Timou doesn't listen. Nor does one who loves her heed her caution to wait behind when she leaves.

In the city, the Bastard, the prince's older brother, takes the throne when his father the king also disappears. The Hunter with his yellow owl eyes is stalking the night and something much worse is lurking ready to prey on the kingdom and its people.

Disparate and lovely, Neumeier winds the threads of story together making a cohesive whole of lives and worlds. Although the cover is uninspiring, the story is very readable if a bit obtuse in spots. I wouldn't mind reading this again and/or discussing it, as I suspect there are allusions and allegorical meanings I missed the first time through. ( )
  SunnySD | Dec 7, 2009 |

THE KINGDOM’S HEART is the City. The City’s heart is the King. The King’s heart is the Prince. The Prince is missing.
Ever since the Prince disappeared, nothing has been right in the Kingdom. Something has disturbed the strange, old magic that whispers around its borders . . . something cunning and powerful. And the disturbance extends to the farthest reaches of the Kingdom, including the idyllic village where Timou is learning to be a mage under her father’s tutelage.
When Timou’s father journeys to the City to help look for the Prince, but never returns, Timou senses that the disturbance in the Kingdom is linked to her—and to the undiscovered heritage of the mother she never knew. She must leave her village, even if it means confronting powers greater than her own, even though what she finds may challenge everything she knows. Even if it means leaving love behind.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:56 -0400)

A teenaged girl who is learning to be a mage must save her mysterious, magical homeland, The Kingdom, from a powerful force that is trying to control it.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,882,167 books! | Top bar: Always visible