Stretching Ourselves: Kids with Cerebral…

Stretching Ourselves: Kids with Cerebral Palsy (edition 2000)

by Alden R. Carter, Carol S. Carter (Illustrator)

Member:ccbell
Title:Stretching Ourselves: Kids with Cerebral Palsy
Authors:Alden R. Carter
Other authors:Carol S. Carter (Illustrator)
Info:Albert Whitman & Company (2000), Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Exceptionalities, all ages

Stretching Ourselves: Kids With Cerebral Palsy by Alden R. Carter

Stretching Ourselves is a beautifully written story about a disorder called Cerebral palsy. The story begins talking about Emily whose stiff muscles and tendons limit her ability to move as she likes, but she is determined to overcome this. She does many things with her friends and family such as cheer with her sister, skate, and play basketball with her brother and his friend. Also, to help her outs she takes special classes at her school. then the story shifts to a new character. Nic can only talk a couple of words and is in a wheel chair. Unlike Emily who goes to a regular school, Nic attends a special one. Once again the story shifts, this time to a little boy named Tanner who has a milder form of Cerebral Palsy. Despite this disability, he wants to play football and act in plays. Finally, the story shifts to Leslie who has had surgeries but found a new love in riding horses. I love the pictures shown in this story. They show the struggles this kids are experiencing and are also in full color. This book addresses disabilities in a way where it helps children understand that they are not alone in what they are dealing with. I highly recommend this book to teachers to read to their students. ( )
  Diana_94 | Mar 16, 2016 |
This is a good book to explain what Cerebral Palsy is and how it effects someones everyday life. ( )
  rwalsh06 | Nov 21, 2013 |
The title says it all. These children are stretching themselves physically, emotionally, and mentally to over come their exceptionalities. Although, there is no cure for CP, these individuals in this book show will power and drive to make the most of their lives. ( )
  ronicadibartolo | Nov 13, 2013 |
This book really opens your eyes to cerebral palsy and the effects it has on young children. I never knew much about CP myself, so I learned a great deal about it from this book and I think many students can too. We are introduced to three young children, Emily, Nic, and Tanner, who all have CP but range in cases from mild to severe. We see glimpses of their day to day lives and what it is like to live with CP. Children with cerebral palsy are faced with many challenges and tasks that may seem simple to us come with much difficulty for them. This book will make you realize how strong these young children are and that they need no pity, but respect and to be treated equally. ( )
  akrause | Nov 24, 2012 |
Before reading this book I never knew exactly what Cerebral Palsy was. I know know its causes and side affects on children. Emily, Nic, and Tanner are all children who suffer with CP, and they all do a great job of coping with their CP. Emily and Tanner love being active and Nic is learning how to talk and works with a speech teacher. These three children do not let their CP get in the way of their everyday life. Children in the classroom need to know that being different is okay, and that they need to accept their peers no matter what. Books like this one can teach a great lesson. ( )
  ccbell | Nov 14, 2012 |

Describes cerebral palsy and focuses on the daily lives of three children with varying degrees of this condition.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,901,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible