The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie

The Gun Seller (original 1996; edition 2004)

by Hugh Laurie

Member:PolymathicMonkey
Title:The Gun Seller
Authors:Hugh Laurie
Info:London, Arrow, 2004, c1997 c1996
Collections:Read, Read but unowned, Connectivity!
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, 20th century, author:British, humor, genre:thriller/suspense, genre:mystery, genre:espionage, favorite, library borrow, read:2013

The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie (1996)

English (84)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (90)
Hugh Laurie is one of the most freakishly talented humans on earth. So talented, that he leaves some of it on the table while pursuing other interests. This is his only book, which makes no sense. The book itself is a scream, with a laugh-per-page quota on parallel with Douglas Adams. It's imperfect, however, as the second half is kind of a bore and the story is told poorly in comparison with the energetic, bullet-out-of-the-chamber first half. There's so much evident talent, however, that it was an experience to enjoy the rawness and promise of whatever comes next, if anything does come next. I hope to attend one of his concerts one of these days. ( )
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
I really enjoyed the first part of this book, Laurie's writing style is smooth and often humorous. But after I reached part two of the book the story started to loose me until I ended up putting it down and going long periods without picking it back up again. Things got a little too bogged down with explanations of the terrorist aspects of the plot. I'm not a very big fan of espionage novels and even though I went into the story knowing that's what this was, the first half seemed more like a mystery to me with the main character snooping around for clues and stumbling over bad guys. But when the bad guys were discovered and the plot progressed into the spy/conspiracy aspect is when I started to loose interest.

Other than that, the hero, Thomas Lang was great. He was likable, witty, and for the most part knew what he was doing. As for the other characters, it was hard to keep some of them straight towards the end and I had to go back once to figure out who Lang was talking about.
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
I'm not familiar with the spy genre so I don't think I have the necessary background to fully appreciate this book - but it was enjoyable albeit confusing. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
Thomas Lang, selbständiger Sicherheitsberater, Bodyguard - was auch immer - wird über mehrere Ecken in ein Drogen-, später dann Waffengeschäft verwickelt und findet sich plötzlich als Terrorist wieder. Grund hierfür ist sein gutes Herz und (natürlich) die Liebe zu einer Frau. Wie er sich aus dieser und vielen anderen gefährlichen Situationen wieder herauswindet, schildert Laurie durchaus witzig und originell. Seine Wortspielereien und Spitzfindigkeiten in Bezug auf Sprache sind überaus unterhaltend (z. B. wieso der Tag an- und die Nacht einbricht und nicht andersherum, oder '...ließ die Sonne zwischen den Krähenfüßen hereinkrabbeln' oder 'Das letzte Mal haben wir uns zu beiden Seiten eines Revolvers getroffen.'), wobei man immer wieder auch den Tonfall des späteren Dr. House entdeckt.
Die Geschichte selbst ist zeitweise überspitzt (wie es sich für eine Parodie gehört) aber auch recht wirr. Scheinbar belanglose Personen tauchen kurz auf um eine ganze Menge an Seiten später plötzlich wieder eine bedeutsamere Rolle zu spielen. Hier scheint die Fabulierlust des Autors etwas überhand genommen zu haben.
Sieht man von diesen kleinen Schwächen ab, hat man mit diesem Buch eine vergnügliche Unterhaltung mit viel Sprachwitz und etwas Dr. House-Flair :-) ( )
  Xirxe | Dec 2, 2014 |
It's the highest compliment to say: Why on earth didn't anyone think of doing this before? What a great idea. . . This is a genuinely witty and sophisticated entertainment.

Laurie, Hughprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curtoni, VittorioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ziff, LloydCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father
Imagine that you have to break someone's arm.

Thomas Lang, a drifter and former officer of the Scots Guards, is offered a contract to murder a wealthy London CEO. He decides to warn the victim instead of killing him. Unfortunately, Lang is thrown into a James bondish run for his life.
Wodehousian spy
versus arms-dealing cartel
written by. . . Prince George?
(Longshanks)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067102082X, Paperback)

British actor and comedian Hugh Laurie's first book is a spot-on spy spoof about hapless ex-soldier Thomas Lang, who is drawn unwittingly and unwillingly into the center of a dangerous James Bond-like plot of international terrorists, arms dealing, high-tech weapons, and CIA spooks. You may recall having seen Laurie in the English television series Jeeves and Wooster; Laurie played Bertie Wooster, the clutzy hero of the P.G. Wodehouse comic novels that originated those characters. The lineage from Wodehouse's Wooster to Laurie's Lang is clear, and, if you like Wodehouse, you'll probably love The Gun Seller.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:23 -0400)

Offered a large sum of money to perform an assassination, Thomas Lang chooses instead to warn the intended victim, only to find himself on the hit list and up against such adversaries as rogue CIA agents, wannabe terrorists, and an arms dealer.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,960,991 books! | Top bar: Always visible