The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie

The Gun Seller (original 1996; edition 2004)

by Hugh Laurie

Member:PolymathicMonkey
Title:The Gun Seller
Authors:Hugh Laurie
Info:London, Arrow, 2004, c1997 c1996
Collections:Read, Read but unowned, Connectivity!
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, 20th century, author:British, humor, genre:thriller/suspense, genre:mystery, genre:espionage, favorite, library borrow, read:2013

The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie (1996)

English (80)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (85)
Thanks to Chris for turning me on to this fun romp. Every now & then I'd just bust out laughing & it kept me up past my bed time to finish it. Random, odd, & meandering as it seems at times, the humor was a constant thread & I found that everything really was spot on. If the story occasionally took the long way around the barn, it was only so we'd sneak up on something unexpected.

It's at least a 3 star thriller & is written so perfectly in Laurie's voice that I could hear & see him the entire time, which easily gains it another star in my book. I loved the early seasons of House & have seen him in a few other things where he's always shined. This is mostly written in his comedic voice - snarky & not so dark as his House character. IF you like that, it's a 4 star read. If not, don't read this.

There was quite a bit of grittiness to the main character, Thomas Lang, who narrates the story. Not quite noir detective, but close, & the first person POV is excellently done. That's not always easy to do & if you don't like the character, it ruins the book, hence my warning above.

For all the low-key, comedic quality of Laurie's observations, it wasn't just funny. While poking some fun at the genre & most everything else, it was also brought out a lot of good points on society & our current state of affairs in general. It had it all AND it's 15 years old, which surprised me. It could have been written last year. Wow!

The plot certainly twists & turns with the best of the genre - international conspiracy, murder & betrayal all baked into a mystery that Tom finds himself firmly embedded in. Laurie did a great job introducing & maintaining one of my favorite supporting characters, Solomon right from the very start. Like everything else, he seems kind of random & odd at first, but eventually gels into clarity. Actually, that's a good description of the plot. About half way through, I wondered how there could still be so much to read - I thought I was closing in on an obvious, if not great ending - but I wasn't. That was a bit disappointing, I expected the last half to drag, a puffed up section simply to make some publishers word count. It wasn't. Oh, no, it was great!

I highly recommend this to all my detective-mystery-thriller reading friends. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
I completely forgot that I read this until I was browsing around on here. I read it about 3 years ago, some of the details are a little fuzzy but I remember enjoying it quite a bit. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
My brother's favourite book. ( )
  potterhead9.75 | Jan 5, 2014 |
It's the highest compliment to say: Why on earth didn't anyone think of doing this before? What a great idea. . . This is a genuinely witty and sophisticated entertainment.

Laurie, Hughprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curtoni, VittorioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ziff, LloydCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father
Imagine that you have to break someone's arm.

Thomas Lang, a drifter and former officer of the Scots Guards, is offered a contract to murder a wealthy London CEO. He decides to warn the victim instead of killing him. Unfortunately, Lang is thrown into a James bondish run for his life.
Wodehousian spy
versus arms-dealing cartel
written by. . . Prince George?
(Longshanks)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067102082X, Paperback)

British actor and comedian Hugh Laurie's first book is a spot-on spy spoof about hapless ex-soldier Thomas Lang, who is drawn unwittingly and unwillingly into the center of a dangerous James Bond-like plot of international terrorists, arms dealing, high-tech weapons, and CIA spooks. You may recall having seen Laurie in the English television series Jeeves and Wooster; Laurie played Bertie Wooster, the clutzy hero of the P.G. Wodehouse comic novels that originated those characters. The lineage from Wodehouse's Wooster to Laurie's Lang is clear, and, if you like Wodehouse, you'll probably love The Gun Seller.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:33 -0400)

Offered a large sum of money to perform an assassination, Thomas Lang chooses instead to warn the intended victim, only to find himself on the hit list and up against such adversaries as rogue CIA agents, wannabe terrorists, and an arms dealer.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,342,109 books! | Top bar: Always visible