Briar Rose by Jane Yolen

Briar Rose (1992)

by Jane Yolen

Series: The Fairy Tale Series

1,984823,402 (4)199
    Deerskin by Robin McKinley (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    The Final Solution: A Story of Detection by Michael Chabon (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two stories that intertwine characters from elsewhere with the Holocaust. Both are affecting in their own ways.
    Damned Strong Love: The True Story of Willi G. and Stefan K. : A Novel by Lutz van Dijk (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: Although one book is fiction and the other a true account there are many similarities between the story told in the latter part of "Briar Rose" and the whole story of "Damned Strong Love" for those who may be interested.
    The Seduction of Water by Carol Goodman (kraaivrouw)

English (81)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (82)
I find it hard to rate this book because I found it so terribly depressing. I don't want to say I "liked" it, because I didn't, per se. I am not happy that I read it, but I don't think it was a waste of time, either. The way the stories intertwined was interesting and it was well written (I believe) but I won't be reading it again. Definitely not something to read if you need a pick-me-up. ( )
  kateminasian | Sep 23, 2013 |
You know, when I picked this up I don't know what I was expecting to be honest. Sleeping Beauty retelling ticked my fairytale obsession, Holocaust twist ticked my history and originality boxes and the fact it was well written and engaging just made everything better after the last few books.

Despite my positivity going in, I just didn't expect to get so wrapped up in this and to feel that bad at times, and that desperate for answers at others. The basic premise is that Becca makes a promise to her grandma 'Gemma' on her deathbed to find out about the princess that she had grown up being told about, Her grandmother had an obsession with the story Sleeping Beauty - and obsession that survived multiple tellings, her grand children's growing apathy with the tale and even dementia and through it all the facts of the story never changed. Briar Rose's castle was cursed by the evil fairy with the black books and the hat with the eagles on it, she was eventually rescued by the prince, she was kissed and no one else in the castle woke up afterwards.

I don't want to spoil anything, but the tie in with the Holocaust is harrowing and extremely well thought out. This is essentially a fairytale without a happy ending because of what happened, and as we watch Becca try and find out information on her grandmother and try and trace this information on so few clues, you can't help but think about how many stories like this there may have been.

There are mentions of events, what would happen in camps, that seem like the stuff of nightmares, but we all know they happened but even so you just think how relatively recently all that happened. I think of my own family, my grandmother who was interned at a 'work' camp during the war and I'm not going to lie, it actually makes me want to try and find out everything I can because it's something I want to know because even though you can't change what happened, I kinda want to understand it better and like Becca in this story, it reminds me that sometimes it's not the ending that matters, but the fact that there is an actual story there that deserves to be known.

Not everything is tied up in a nice little package in this book - not every question is answered, not every mystery is solved, but somehow, despite the fact you want to know it all, what you do learn feels enough.

I highly recommend this for anyone who has any sort of interest in either of these subjects. I know it's marketed as a young adult book - but it's really so much more than that. ( )
  sunnycouger | Sep 20, 2013 |
Ever since Becca can remember her “Gemma” (Grandma) told her and her sisters the story of Briar Rose (Sleeping Beauty). It was only when Gemma was older and dying that Becca realized that Gemma believed that she was Briar Rose. Neither Becca nor any of her family really know much about Gemma's history, so when Gemma dies, Becca is determined to find out.

I really enjoyed this. Jane Yolen is an expert on fairy tales, and she tells the story well. I enjoyed the entire mystery behind Becca trying to figure out why Gemma would think she was Briar Rose, in addition to the Sleeping Beauty story that was finally told in this book. It did involve concentration camps and I was interested to see that a concentration camp I've recently visited (but hadn't heard of previous to my booking the tour to go there) – Sachsenhausen – was one of the camps one of the characters spent time in in this book. ( )
  LibraryCin | Aug 30, 2013 |
4Q 4P This take on Sleeping Beauty will appeal to many teens.

This book is a great take on the classic Sleeping Beauty fairytale though Terri Windling assures as in her introduction that if we're used to the Disney version we don't know Sleeping Beauty at all. At times the story was predictable and at other times events happened and characters appeared a little too conveniently but the overall storyline kept me going til the end. I just had to find out more about Gemma and her life. I loved the combination of Sleeping Beauty and the Holocaust. The two stories really melded well and softened the horrific blows that Yolen landed a little for readers. ( )
  SROgden | Jun 1, 2013 |
Yolen creatively uses flashback (during alternating chapters) to reveal the fairy tale that "Gemma" repeatedly told her grandchildren when they were young. However, I would classify this book more as historical fiction than fantasy, as it accurately depicts some of the worst atrocities (Holocaust) known to humankind. Personally, I was both confused and disturbed by the inclusion of a violent and overly graphic sexual encounter (with his past lover) that the prince shares with Becca as he tells the story of how he came to know her grandmother. It just seemed unnecessary and completely out of context. Unfortunately, the inclusion of this relegates Briar Rose as a book (and a very intriguing one) for an older teen audience. ( )
  YvetteKolstad | Apr 24, 2013 |

Jane Yolenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Canty,ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windling, TerriCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"...(B)oth the oral and the literary forms of the fairy tale are grounded in history: they emanate from specific struggles to humanize bestial and barbaric forces, which have terrorized our minds and communities in concrete ways, threatening to destroy free will and human compassion. The fairy tale sets out to conquer this concrete terror through metaphors." --Jack Snipes, "Spells of Enchantment"
For Charles and MaryAnn De Lint
and Susan Swartz - Just Because

With Special Thanks to Barbara Diamond Goldin, Staszek Radosh, Linda Mannheim, Betsy Pucci, Peter Gherlone, Mary Teifke, Alissa Gehan, Susan Landau, and Scott Scanlon for their research help. Any mistakes made in the presentation of that material are mine alone.
"Gemma, tell your story again," Shana begged, putting her arms around her grandmother and breathing in that special smell of talcum and lemon that seemed to belong only to her.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765342308, Mass Market Paperback)

A powerful retelling of Sleeping Beauty that is "heartbreaking and heartwarming."

An American Library Association "100 Best Books for Teens"
An American Library Association "Best Books for Young Adults"

Ever since she was a child, Rebecca has been enchanted by her grandmother Gemma's stories about Briar Rose. But a promise Rebecca makes to her dying grandmother will lead her on a remarkable journey to uncover the truth of Gemma's astonishing claim: I am Briar Rose. A journey that will lead her to unspeakable brutality and horror. But also to redemption and hope.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:49 -0400)

The tale of Sleeping Beauty and the dark tale of the Holocaust twined together in a story of darkness and redemption.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,643,836 books! | Top bar: Always visible