Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Briar Rose by Jane Yolen

Briar Rose (1992)

by Jane Yolen

Deerskin by Robin McKinley (FutureMrsJoshGroban, MyriadBooks)
    Red as blood; or, tales from the Sisters Grimmer by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (Cecrow)
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: YA-geared fiction relating to the Holocaust
    The Final Solution. A Story of Detection by Michael Chabon (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two stories that intertwine characters from elsewhere with the Holocaust. Both are affecting in their own ways.
    The Seduction of Water by Carol Goodman (kraaivrouw)
    Damned Strong Love: The True Story of Willi G. and Stefan K. : A Novel by Lutz van Dijk (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: Although one book is fiction and the other a true account there are many similarities between the story told in the latter part of "Briar Rose" and the whole story of "Damned Strong Love" for those who may be interested.
    The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Same author, also YA about the Holocaust.

English (100)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (101)

Gemma, tell your story again.

I told myself I'd stop reading Holocaust books but this one tricked me into reading it by saying it was a Sleeping Beauty retelling

I mean technically it was but a very brutal one

the good: I liked the way the puzzle/mystery was set up, and gradually finding out what happened, and how it was all related to Sleeping Beauty. (the people who keep sleeping and the kiss that wakes her up? like wow). I also liked the way the Gemma flashbacks were alternating with the present.

the bad: I didn't care about the present-time characters or the romance at all, but then again that wasn't the focus.

TWs: uh, everything? Holocaust, genocide, extermination camps, suicide, homophobia, anti-semitism. you name it. ( )
  runtimeregan | Jun 12, 2019 |
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | May 20, 2019 |
This interesting story was filled with mystery and intrigue. It was a journey through history and a recollection of some very sad times. I was captivated by the story and became eager to see how everything would tie together.

I really thought the Author did a great job capturing the war feels in her historical retelling, but it lacked emotion. I expected to feel deeply, but it mostly just grazed the surface. I think what caused this disconnect was the flow and writing style. I often became confused as to who was telling which parts and what exactly was going on. It didn’t ruin the story, but it definitely impacted the essence.

Overall, I think there are better reads on this subject matter that pack the gut punch I like with historicals. It’s worth a read if you like mysteries. but don’t expect much in the ways of epicness. ( )
  ReadersCandyb | Apr 25, 2019 |
This is not a book you 'really like' because it deals with the holocaust. That said, it was a well written and interesting take on fairy tales and their purpose in society. The story is well told and horrifying, the more so for its elements of truth. ( )
  Velmeran | Jan 26, 2019 |
I thought the actual Holocaust portion of the story was well-written, but the characters in the modern part felt flat and annoying. ( )
  Katya0133 | Jul 17, 2018 |

Jane Yolenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Canty,ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Elwell, TristanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nolte, UlrikeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windling, TerriIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windling, TerriCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"...(B)oth the oral and the literary forms of the fairy tale are grounded in history: they emanate from specific struggles to humanize bestial and barbaric forces, which have terrorized our minds and communities in concrete ways, threatening to destroy free will and human compassion. The fairy tale sets out to conquer this concrete terror through metaphors." --Jack Snipes, "Spells of Enchantment"
For Charles and MaryAnn De Lint
and Susan Swartz - Just Because

With Special Thanks to Barbara Diamond Goldin, Staszek Radosh, Linda Mannheim, Betsy Pucci, Peter Gherlone, Mary Teifke, Alissa Gehan, Susan Landau, and Scott Scanlon for their research help. Any mistakes made in the presentation of that material are mine alone.
"Gemma, tell your story again," Shana begged, putting her arms around her grandmother and breathing in that special smell of talcum and lemon that seemed to belong only to her.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765342308, Mass Market Paperback)

A powerful retelling of Sleeping Beauty that is "heartbreaking and heartwarming."

An American Library Association "100 Best Books for Teens"
An American Library Association "Best Books for Young Adults"

Ever since she was a child, Rebecca has been enchanted by her grandmother Gemma's stories about Briar Rose. But a promise Rebecca makes to her dying grandmother will lead her on a remarkable journey to uncover the truth of Gemma's astonishing claim: I am Briar Rose. A journey that will lead her to unspeakable brutality and horror. But also to redemption and hope.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:22 -0400)

The tale of Sleeping Beauty and the dark tale of the Holocaust twined together in a story of darkness and redemption.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,479,572 books! | Top bar: Always visible