How Now Shall We Live? by Charles W. Colson

How Now Shall We Live? (original 1999; edition 1999)

by Charles W. Colson

Member:fall-apart
Title:How Now Shall We Live?
Authors:Charles W. Colson
Info:

How Now Shall We Live? by Charles W. Colson (1999)

This is a great book. It helped me get started in exploring how my Christian conviction applied to much more than just "religion". ( )
  Adewoye | Feb 20, 2014 |
I have read quite a few of the Christian worldview books and this one is one of the best. It is kind of a modern follow-up to Francis Schaeffer's How Then Should We Live. Colson and Pearcey set up the book using the Creation - Fall - Redemption - Restoration model. They have very interesting true life stories to introduce each section. They also bring in the relative historical philosophy that helps explain where and why we are in this postmodern age. Ideas are given to help Christians think through how to work out their worldview and practically influence in our culture. ( )
1 vote janimar | Apr 18, 2009 |
One of the early defining books on the subject of worldview. Using as a structure Creation, The Fall, Redemption and Restoration we are led through discussions on Darwinism, Sin, Utopianism, Apologetics, The Culture of Death, Multiculturalism, Naturalism and many other issues in the search for answers in a world of opposing worldviews. Each section is introduced by a story that illustrates and presents the practical application of what will be discussed. Nancy Pearcey, who was influenced by her time spent with the Philosopher-Theologian, Francis Sheaffer, provides the philosophical--intellectual underpinnings of the book while Colson provides knowledge of culture, theology, intellectual depth and a wealth of experience. Well written, interesting book that is easy to follow yet challenging in its thought. ( )
  seoulful | Oct 26, 2008 |
Coming before 9//1, some of the issues addressed are dated, but many of the issues in the book have only become hotter, if that is possible. ( )
  temsmail | Jan 19, 2007 |
Addressing contemporary cultural and philosophical issues, Colson and Pearcey attempt to demonstrate the completeness – as a “total life system” – of the Christian worldview. Using the three-fold paradigm of “creation-fall-redemption,” the authors analyze competing worldviews (especially naturalism and postmodernism) and illustrate their effects on morality and culture. As Christians, we have a “cultural mandate” to influence and even redeem the culture in which we live. A very useful and timely book, but reflects a culturally biased agenda - B+ ( )
  bsanner | Jan 1, 2007 |
We dedicate this book to the memory of Francis A. Schaeffer, whose ministry at L'Abri was instrumental in Nancy's conversion and whose works have had a profound influence on my own understanding of Christianity as a total world view.
In Ecuador, the peaks of the Andes jut more than two miles into thinning air. Within their cratered throat, the green incisor-shaped mountains hold the old colonial center of Quito, its ornate Spanish architecture surrounded by poured-concrete high rises. Puffy clouds drawn through high mountain passes drift low over the city. Beneath them, banks of pink and white houses scatter like petals over the base of the mountains.
Without a biblical worldview, all the great teaching goes in one ear and out the other. There are no intellectual pegs ... in the mind of the individual to hang these truths on. So they just pass through. They don't stick. They don't make a difference. - George Barna

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0842318089, Hardcover)

How Now Shall We Live was the heart cry of a people who lived during the Jewish exile from the Promised Land, yet it is no less the unspoken prayer of the faithful today. As author Chuck Colson puts it, "We live in a culture that is at best morally indifferent ... in which Judeo-Christian values are mocked ... in which violence, banality, meanness, and disintegrating personal behavior are destroying civility and endangering the very life of our communities." It is no small wonder that Colson--the founder of Prison Fellowship Ministries and author of several renowned Christian works--considers this book the most important work of his life.

America, Colson states, is now in a post-Judeo-Christian era. Technically, this is what "postmodernism" means. In a generation in which the most respected brands of thought about reality declare that "God is dead," it is clear that a faith-based worldview does not prevail. So how do we teach our children that belief in God is respectable and intelligent? How do we fulfill our mandate to make "disciples of all nations" when friends and coworkers find the Christian perspective foolhardy and--in terms of rational thought--almost insane? Most important, how do we renew our entire culture, especially as it infects the global community, with the "common grace" of reinstating a prevailing belief in God and in His moral order?

These questions' implications are far-reaching, and Colson's thorough inquiry is a ready match for the challenge. In effect, this book delivers a logical, more than just "because the Bible says so" framework for interpreting the Gospel to the postmodern world, while also illustrating the vision for a culture based entirely on Biblical principles--powerful tools, indeed.

Christians are taught to love God with all their hearts, all their strength, and all their minds. How Now Shall We Live emphasizes that not to use one's mind in this idea-saturated culture is to abandon dying neighbors to bleed by the side of the road while going about one's religious way. As Colson puts it, "turning our backs on the culture ... denies God's sovereignty over all of life." It's this compassionate severity and prodding intelligence that make this book not only a good read, but a life-changing one as well. --Courtenay Gebhardt

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:09 -0400)

Discusses how a person's view of the world influences how a person lives and argues that Christians are called not only to personal faith but to a biblical worldview.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,338,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible