Devil in a Blue Dress (Easy Rawlins…

Devil in a Blue Dress (Easy Rawlins Mysteries) (original 1990; edition 2002)

by Walter Mosley

Member:klayr
Title:Devil in a Blue Dress (Easy Rawlins Mysteries)
Authors:Walter Mosley
Info:Washington Square Press (2002), Edition: Later Printing, Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:Currently reading

Devil in a Blue Dress by Walter Mosley (1990)

English (61)  Greek (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (64)
Chandler. Hammet. Cain.

Mosley.

Walter Mosley stands alone in the noir fiction field with his humor, his late 1940s Los Angeles setting, and his brash creation with an interesting backstory, the detective Easy Rawlins. Devil in a Blue Dress can be read in a single sitting and should be, as it is difficult to put down once started. ( )
  JaredOrlando | Mar 18, 2019 |
I enjoyed this first installment introducing the character Easy Rawlins. It reminded me of Raymond Chandler, but with a fresh perspective. ( )
  sturlington | Feb 8, 2019 |
Absolutely fantastic. I'd read one unrelated Mosley novel before this and hated it, so I was a bit nervous about how I would react to this. I had no need—fantastic story with a fantastic perspective. Definitely a keeper. ( )
  wordsampersand | Dec 6, 2018 |
Great, twisty hard-boiled crime thriller with well-drawn characters and a large dose of reality of being a black man in America. Unfortunately, police brutality has not changed much since the fourties. We also have a white femme fatale, a doomed love affair, a dangerous friend, and dangerous, ugly truths. An entertaining but also thought-provoking read. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
Darn - It's an excellent mystery but it's just a little too raunchy for me to be comfortable continuing the series. ( )
  ParadisePorch | Sep 27, 2018 |

Walter Mosleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boatman, MichaelNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chelius, JaneEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Corgatelli, RosaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR JOY KELLMAN, FREDERIC TUTTEN,

AND LEROY MOSLEY
CRIMSON STAIN: "Etheline," she said, repeating the name I'd asked for.

DEVIL IN A BLUE DRESS: I was surprised to see a white man walk into Joppy's bar.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743451791, Paperback)

Walter Mosley's Easy Rawlins has few illusions about the world--at least not about the world of a young black veteran in the late 1940s in Southern California. His stint in the Army didn't do anything to dissuade him from his belief that justice doesn't come cheap, especially for men like him. "I thought there might be some justice for a black man if he had money to grease it," Easy says. Fired from his job on the line at an aircraft plant, he's in danger of losing his home, symbol of his tenuous hold on middle class status. That's a good enough reason to accept a white man's offer to pay him for finding a beautiful, mysterious Frenchwoman named Daphne Monet, last seen in the company of a well-known gangster. Easy's search takes the reader to an L.A. few writers have shown us before--the mean streets of South Central, the after-hours joints in dirty basement clubs, the cheap hotels and furnished rooms, the places people go when they don't want to be found. Evocative of a past time, and told in a style that's reminiscent of Hammet and Chandler, yet uniquely his own, Mosley's depiction of an inherently decent man in a violent world of intrigue and corruption rang up big sales when it was published in 1990 (although the movie version, with Denzel Washington as Easy, never found the audience it deserved). The minor characters are deftly and brilliantly developed, especially Mouse, who saves Easy's life even as he draws him deeper into the mystery of Daphne Monet. Like many of Mosley's characters, Mouse makes a return appearance in the succeeding Easy Rawlins mysteries, such as A Red Death, Black Betty, and White Butterfly, every one of which is as good as Devil in a Blue Dress, his first. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:35 -0400)

In a Los Angeles bar, "Easy" Rawlins, a black war veteran just fired from his job, wonders how he'll pay his mortgage. DeWitt Albright, a quietly vicious white man, walks in and offers Easy good money if he'll find Daphne Monet.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,543,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible